• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cut the strings or don't apply

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My BGO specifically wanted my parents at the interview. He quickly realized within about 2 minutes (no joke) in no way had they pushed me to apply to the Academy or to join the military. He even mentioned he got the feeling my mom was trying to sway me out of the military. The interview quickly turned into sea and flying stories -- he was a -60 Pilot. Another thing he did was he wouldn't do interviews until applications were complete (or maybe like 90% complete, I can't remember, either way it was most of the application). From that point on, that guy worked his butt off to help me into the Academy.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Parents can be a hit or miss when it comes to that kinda stuff. Mine never really interfered much with the academy process. In fact, I think they helped gather up some of the paperwork that i needed to find and fill out. However the ROTC application I was trying to do as a backup totally got messed up by them. I was working with the marine recruiters and everything was going great till my dad calls them up and starts yelling at them saying he really wanted to go navy and you lied to him yada yada yada. Needless to say the Marine Captain switched it over to a navy rotc scholarship because of my father. I knew it was marine and I had no problem with that but my father called them up with out me even knowing it. I didn't find out till about a day or two after when he told me what he did. I was like what the hell man? Needless to say it didn't matter because I got the academy spot but still... Parents can be a real hit or miss sometimes on those things...

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I remember my BGO had a strict policy of never doing an interview at an applicant's house, only his own, because he didn't want the applicant's living conditions or financial situation to sway his opinion one way or the other. Seemed wierd at the time, but makes alot of sense now.
He invited my parents over for meetings, but most of the one-on-one stuff was done over the phone. They got along great, though, so I guess it worked out in the end.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Must be a Naval Academy thing My Mommy didn't tell me I could enlist or go to OCS. Here come the Flames.

huh?

misc15.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You could definitely tell the kids at the Academy who where there for themselves or for their parents. Needless to say, the latter group didn't last very long at all, or if they did they were the shitbags of the company. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to try and do your job with the parents hovering. I did some small time stuff recruiting stuff while I was a mid and there were definitely some parents who were firing off the questions and not the kid.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My BGO specifically wanted my parents at the interview. He quickly realized within about 2 minutes (no joke) in no way had they pushed me to apply to the Academy or to join the military. He even mentioned he got the feeling my mom was trying to sway me out of the military. The interview quickly turned into sea and flying stories -- he was a -60 Pilot. Another thing he did was he wouldn't do interviews until applications were complete (or maybe like 90% complete, I can't remember, either way it was most of the application). From that point on, that guy worked his butt off to help me into the Academy.
BGOs are supposed to talk with parents when possible. We are specifically instructed not to conduct an interview with parents present. Among other things, that is to make sure a parent isn't having undue influence on the kid's desire to apply or in their interview answers. Maybe your BGO knew from the start that wasn't an issue with you. I have made those calls before, but still go one on one to make it seem as professional and exclusive as possible. Most my interviews are at the applicants home for their convenience, But I have done them at my home, starbucks, school and a public library. Interviews do not have to be done until the candidate gets through about 75 % of the application. They can be done sooner. If I have a guy that is very highly qualified and seems motivated, I will interview early just to size him up and see if I will have to prevent him from going Army or Air Farce. The slackers and ordinary get interviewed when they go over the magic number, not sooner.

Junior

pilot
The attached parents doesn't end with the application process. There were parents who were ALWAYS in town. I'm talking traveling across the country multiplt times a semester. Let your kid go!

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I think Wink's unfortunate experience is indicative of a bigger problem with today's youth: Failure to remove their coddled little lips from mommies titty and take responsibility for their futures and actions.

red_ryder

None
Poor kids. You gotta remember, that's the way they grew up, his mom probably raised him doing everything for him.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
BGOs are supposed to talk with parents when possible. We are specifically instructed not to conduct an interview with parents present. Among other things, that is to make sure a parent isn't having undue influence on the kid's desire to apply or in their interview answers. Maybe your BGO knew from the start that wasn't an issue with you. I have made those calls before, but still go one on one to make it seem as professional and exclusive as possible. Most my interviews are at the applicants home for their convenience, But I have done them at my home, starbucks, school and a public library. Interviews do not have to be done until the candidate gets through about 75 % of the application. They can be done sooner. If I have a guy that is very highly qualified and seems motivated, I will interview early just to size him up and see if I will have to prevent him from going Army or Air Farce. The slackers and ordinary get interviewed when they go over the magic number, not sooner.

Wink, just so you know, my previous comment in no way was a criticism of you. I feel for you, I would have lost my top if that was happening to me. For whatever reason, I can't recall having an interview with my BGO without my parents present; I do remember him saying that part of the reason he wanted to come to my house was to see how much my parents were influencing me and like I said, he quickly saw that there was zero influence on their part.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Honest to god, I can't believe some of these people would let their parents take such a huge stand/role in THEIR FUTURES. When I applied, I basically called my parents after I had scheduled to take the ASTB and told them I was applying, talked about the app and future training with them, called them when I got accepted and had them at my swearing in. IN NO WAY were they a part of my application process or decision. All they did was offer their advice when asked and were proud when I got accepted. They didn't even know my recruiter's name until they met him at my swearing in.

Seriously. CUT THE CORD!

Good post Wink. Absolutely justified.

Goggle the term "Helicopter Parents" and see what you get. Some Colleges and Universities are actually catering to them.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's interesting...because the superintendent here used that term when he was briefing the parents earlier this year during firstie parents weekend. Something to the effect of that the academy had a big problem with helicopter parents, and that they needed to let their mids deal with issues at the academy on their own. I remember some of the parents were up in arms about it, but it made a lot of sense to me. We can't really develop ourselves if our parents are constantly hovering over. I totally agree with you Wink, and I hope that this one experience was the exception instead of the rule.