• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cut the strings or don't apply

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I clicked on those, looked around a bit, and decided to leave before I pissed off a whole community of soccer moms.

Yeah, same here. I almost replied but withheld, I'd rather not make some parents cry.

On second thought, I'm kinda bored today :icon_smil

VIZKRIEG

KILL
I'll throw out an example here....

There was a cadet at West Point who's mother LIVED in the hotel on campus the entire time he attended. As the story goes, she used to look at his barracks to see if his window was lit and he was doing his work...

That cadet eventually became GEN Douglas McArthur. I agree wholeheartedly with this post, and the op, though I haven't been on either end of this problem, but I figured I'd play devils advocate for a bit...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'll throw out an example here....

There was a cadet at West Point who's mother LIVED in the hotel on campus the entire time he attended. As the story goes, she used to look at his barracks to see if his window was lit and he was doing his work...

That cadet eventually became GEN Douglas McArthur. I agree wholeheartedly with this post, and the op, though I haven't been on either end of this problem, but I figured I'd play devils advocate for a bit...

I find this story VERY hard to believe, do you have a link?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
http://americanhistory.si.edu/westpoint/history_6a1_pop2.html

found a link, although the story is not quite true... she was only there for 2 years

Here is a Time Magazine article I found from 1942 which talks about, "flashes of young Douglas hurrying every day to meet his mother on West Point's Flirtation Walk or being helped by her to escape from the West Point hotel through a coal chute when he was caught out of bounds."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,790539-1,00.html

It sounds like she was a helicopter/harrier mom after all.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Touche, I suppose it wasn't the whole time he was at USMA, admittedly, I knew the general story was true, but didn't check the specifics. Nonetheless, it is an intriguing tale.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Here is a Time Magazine article I found from 1942 which talks about, "flashes of young Douglas hurrying every day to meet his mother on West Point's Flirtation Walk or being helped by her to escape from the West Point hotel through a coal chute when he was caught out of bounds."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,790539-1,00.html

It sounds like she was a helicopter/harrier mom after all.

Of course, they didn't have the myriad of communication systems they have today, so it's not like it's a good thing.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Of course, they didn't have the myriad of communication systems they have today, so it's not like it's a good thing.

And his dad was a Major General and the military commander in the Philippines at the time. So you have to figure that he also must have played a role in his son going to USMA in the first place. But all of the parental bullying must have had an effect. He graduated USMA at the top of his class. I guess his fellow students didn't have their parents hanging around full-time to check on them too. :icon_wink

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Have you guys seen that episode of "everybody loves Raymond" where the mother, Marie, goes to the FBI and pleads them to accept her son Robbie into the FBI? When watching that show, I thought it was pretty funny but would never happen. But after reading this thread, thats what I'm picturing these parents as haha.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Have you guys seen that episode of "everybody loves Raymond" where the mother, Marie, goes to the FBI and pleads them to accept her son Robbie into the FBI? When watching that show, I thought it was pretty funny but would never happen. But after reading this thread, thats what I'm picturing these parents as haha.

Wait, do you KNOW where you're posting this? Turn back! Turn back! RUN!

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
huh?

misc15.jpg

I will be using that picture in my lecture series. BRAVO:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I said before....

The Millennials are coming, the Millennials are coming!

Way to make generalizations, there. (the author, not you) I'm apparently one year removed from the official "millennial generation" and am already a LT. I think that article takes the worst stories of dealing with this generation and turns them into a stereotype. The job needs to get done and if someone's precious snowflakes can't handle that, I don't want to serve with 'em anyway.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"When I turned 18, my dad took me aside. He said, 'Son...the boy has become a man. You can go to college. You can go into the Army. You can go to work. But the operative word...is go.'" - Alonzo Bodden