• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cut the strings or don't apply

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have about had it, so will vent here where some wannabes will benefit. Now hear this, attention all USNA applicants. Do not let your mothers respond to emails or phone calls from your BGO. Do not let your mothers make excuses for your application being incomplete. Do not let your parents try to hang around during your interview and for God's sake do not let them talk for you any other time they are present with your BGO! If your parents have done any of the above they are SEVERELY hindering your chances for selection to the USNA. Do not put up with it. If you need that kind of help at this stage of your life then you are not Navy officer material. Yes I have seen all the above and I am simply disgusted by it. Take a look at your life. Cut the damn apron strings before you apply to the Navy, any program, or don't bother!!:icon_rage

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Word to their Mothers!

(Do the cool kids still say that.....?)

In all seriousness you ought to listen to him; a friend of mine had a similar experience a few months ago and it left him very unimpressed.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Wink - I'm dying to know what caused the "last straw" to break !!! I'm sure the story is a good one.
:D

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I will definitely second what wink says... from experience.

P.S... your mom won't be there to keep the mean detailers from yelling at you Plebe Summer should you get in...

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I will definitely second what wink says... from experience.

P.S... your mom won't be there to keep the mean detailers from yelling at you Plebe Summer should you get in...

The best advice I got from my parents about applying was "You are going to do everything, not us".

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I told Ma I wanted to join when I was 17.
She said "good, get the hell out".

awesome.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I told Ma I wanted to join when I was 17.
She said "good, get the hell out".

awesome.

That's because she knew what a no-good, boozing, womanizing AW you would turn out to be !!!

(yes, I KNOW, I KNOW - my mom knew the same thing :)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Yeah, yeah Rob...T-bar tomorrow?

Still fighting the builder about some house issues - they are re-grading my yard and replacing all the sod. I will be "slowly" easing myself into a work routine next week - rain check ???

phrogpilot73

Truth be told, I COULD have been one of the turd-burglars that Wink is referring to. When I applied my first time to USNA (with my crappy grades, but Dad was a USNA grad), I expected my Dad to call some friends. He told me "You gotta stand on your own two feet son." Never had a problem after that. After I was accepted on my fourth application (with one more to go), my Dad told me "I'm glad you got in this time, because I was going to have to call a classmate for your final application. I know you're going to make a good officer, and I'm glad they finally saw it." Needless to say, Dad and I are close to this day.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Honest to god, I can't believe some of these people would let their parents take such a huge stand/role in THEIR FUTURES. When I applied, I basically called my parents after I had scheduled to take the ASTB and told them I was applying, talked about the app and future training with them, called them when I got accepted and had them at my swearing in. IN NO WAY were they a part of my application process or decision. All they did was offer their advice when asked and were proud when I got accepted. They didn't even know my recruiter's name until they met him at my swearing in.

Seriously. CUT THE CORD!

Good post Wink. Absolutely justified.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Truth be told, I COULD have been one of the turd-burglars that Wink is referring to. When I applied my first time to USNA (with my crappy grades, but Dad was a USNA grad), I expected my Dad to call some friends. He told me "You gotta stand on your own two feet son." Never had a problem after that. After I was accepted on my fourth application (with one more to go), my Dad told me "I'm glad you got in this time, because I was going to have to call a classmate for your final application. I know you're going to make a good officer, and I'm glad they finally saw it." Needless to say, Dad and I are close to this day.
What a good lesson. I would hope that a parent need not have been a military officer to "get it". Alas, many don't. What sent me off today was a mother who I had previously identified as your typical helicopter parent. When I asked her to leave me with her son for the interview she sat in the dining room where she could hear and I could see her. She shook her head yes, no, to questions of mine. She even answered up once or twice. Everything was "we this" and "we that". Since then I have gone out of my way to single out the kid and try to deal with him personally. Yesterday I sent him an email telling him to get off his butt and turn in the last couple things. His mother comes back and says she has been having trouble with the teacher doing the recommendation and when she looked at her son's on line application it looked like they had gotten this or that done. Sorry guys, I just lost it. I have had several other applicants that needed to cut the cord, but this one is the worse. Trust me, I have memorialized my feelings for the board to review.