• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current API Gear Issue Situation

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
IMO, I could care less if someone is wearing brown boots or black boots or a leather jacket or a desert flight suit. They are all approved uniform items and who the hell cares? The only thing that I don't recommend wearing until you get your wings.....is your wings (or having one of those license plates). Anyone who spends their time and energy worrying about stupid crap like what color a SNA's shoes are is probably from a community that will remain nameless but starts with P and ends with 3 :).

Ace_Austin

pilot
True, I didn't want to make a boo boo in a situation while stashed where my CO is a former E2 FO, the XO a P3 FO, and the flight rep a E6 FO.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
True, I didn't want to make a boo boo in a situation while stashed where my CO is a former E2 FO, the XO a P3 FO, and the flight rep a E6 FO.

I was stashed at my ROTC unit. One of the first things my P3 CO said to me was "where are your brown shoes?" I went TAD and came back with a pair and his response was "nice to see you finally got some brown shoes" If you are designated SNA/SNFO, you can wear brown shoes. Wearing a SWOter is illadvised however.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Anyone who spends their time and energy worrying about stupid crap like what color a SNA's shoes are is probably from a community that will remain nameless but starts with P and ends with 3 :).
Yeah, I agree with you. Although a P-3 guy now, the whole "brown boots/shoes" issue within the VP community has apparently gone away. At least in Whidbey.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I agree with you. Although a P-3 guy now, the whole "brown boots/shoes" issue within the VP community has apparently gone away. At least in Whidbey.

According to one of my LTs that attitude is alive and well in at least one squadron in HSL east.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think the whole brown shoe/boot thing is a less of an issue in the fleet. In flight school it is more of an issue. It's great that most guys on here don't give a damn what a guy is wearing but that's not what most students face coming through flight school. When I came through VT-2 we got the speech about not wearing anything but the four patches they issued us and wearing your flight jacket 3/4 zipped and a bunch of crap like that. It wouldn't have gone well to roll into primary wearing a pair of brown red wing boots you just went and bought because you wanted to be just like the IPs. I think everyone would have prefered if none of the IPs cared, but a few did, so we had to play by their stupid rules.

As to wings. You don't get to wear them, in any form, until you earn them. That shouldn't have to be explained.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Damn, I would love to go back and slash the tires of those douchebags who had front license plates with wings....IN A-POOL!!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I suppose that bumper sticker that says "I love the smell of jet fuel" needs to go.

Not if you love the smell of jet fuel, then it is appropriate, yes? Again, I really don't think most people care about uniform items. My brown boots look better and are 10 times more comfy than my black ones, so I wear them. If a student showed up to a brief in brown boots, I might ask him "where did you get those?", but not because he shouldn't have them, but because I am looking to score another pair for cheap (CNATRA won't buy me any). I have flown with guys that have had brown boots, leather jackets, and desert flight suits (not all on the same dude), and have never made more than a passing remark. That said, it might get you a little extra attention from those who give a damn.
Am I alone here? Should I tighten up my standards and start yelling "Hey, shipmate, got a minute?" across the parking lot every time I see a flagrant violation?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Ha, sure, have at it, nothing I like more than hearing a random "hey, shippy". I personally think if someone called out a stud for wearing them then they're a tool, but all it takes is that one tool. Seriously, the biggest reason I don't wear them right now is I don't feel like dropping a buck fifty on new boots when I have two new pairs issued to me (one pair I've never even put on). I do wear the hell outta my leather jacket though.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Ha, sure, have at it, nothing I like more than hearing a random "hey, shippy". I personally think if someone called out a stud for wearing them then they're a tool, but all it takes is that one tool. Seriously, the biggest reason I don't wear them right now is I don't feel like dropping a buck fifty on new boots when I have two new pairs issued to me (one pair I've never even put on). I do wear the hell outta my leather jacket though.

Yea, just dont be the guy who wears his leather jacket when its 75F+ outside. Youd be surprised.

I asked an API dude wearing his leather (with the NASC patch on it I might add) when I was picking up my helmet bag at Wings n Things. It was like 74 outside and I asked him if why he was wearing it when it was so warm outside.
His response: "Because it looks cool man."
Fezz's response: "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight."

What a tool. Please, dont be "that guy." For all our sakes.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Pensacola is like "Fantasy Island." Everyone thinks their flight gear is cool and wants to wear it once issued. The overarching issue is "correct manner of wear." The "coolness" factor will wear off soon enough once they are up to their eyeballs in learning how to fly.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I was at seville last night and there was an airforce student-pilot-guy with his leather jacket on; patches and all. We couldn't stop laughing.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think AF allows and encourages wear of the leather flight jacket with civies. Just a culture difference between Navy and AF.