• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current API Gear Issue Situation

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Not when they are winged, actually when they get qualified in their MWS (final platform). And theirs look ghey.

four o two

None
I was at seville last night and there was an airforce student-pilot-guy with his leather jacket on; patches and all. We couldn't stop laughing.
:::shudder:::

I hate going to Seville and conversations with members of the opposite sex usually goes like...

Her: "So, what do you do?"
Me: "I'm a student."
"Oh cool, I go to UWF, where do you go?"
"Well, um... see, I just uh..."
"...?"
"OK, so how about that weather?"

I hate dropping the obligatory "Yeah, I'm in the Navy" line because honestly, I bet every freakin' chick in & around this area has heard enough of that. It's the guys who come in wearing that jacket, the patches & the aviators who tell the ladies they're in "flight school" waiting to get into a jet and go whizzin' through the galaxy that ruin it for the rest of us. :D

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
The topic of brown shoes/boots and leather jackets has been covered at length on this site, as we all know. However, for the sake of those newbies who are unable to use the search function, I'll sum it all up.

Brown leather jackets are authorized for SNA's and SNFO's as well as other aircrew members. See the following link:

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter6/chapter_6.htm#sec8

Wearing them in high temps is uberghey. Period. Studs, I winged last August in P-cola so my info is relatively recent. If you want to wear your jacket...DO IT! Jesus, you guys are in the f-ing pipeline no matter what some douchebag IP says. Yes, you are not winged and would do well to remember that, but you are the future of NA and shouldn't be afraid to be proud of it. Unless you attrite that jacket is yours to sport. Start breakin' her in.

Brown Shoes: You are not a shoe. (No offense, Steve) Don't dress like one. You rate Brown shoes so get some and slap 'em on your feet. If you feel superstitious, fine, but the sooner you accept the fact that this is your life the sooner you will embrace your brown shoes and move beyond petty superstitions about shoes. Now, petty superstitions about USMC IP's and PT-to-PT's are warranted.

Brown Boots: Really, who gives an f? Sure, some IP may give you Sh!t abt it b/c he's in love with himself. If so, don't wear them when you brief with that guy! Otherwise, if no direction from the command exists stating that Studs SHALL NOT wear brown boots, go for it if you want to. Again, more time should be spent on studying and joining the McGuires's Run Club than on your shoe color.

In short, yes, I'm still in the RAG and am not in "The Fleet"...but I am winged, and I can tell you that if my friends knew then what they know now way more of them would've gotten some sweet Red Wings in P-cola.

By the way...no one Ever said anything to me about my shoes in the TRACOM. Ever.

Seriously.

ibennetti

API Gear Issue

Just had issue on Thursday March 15, 2007 and if you are an average size(38,40,and 42) for jackets and flight suits good luck! You are supposed to get 4 flight suits...I got 2. You are supposed to get a helmet...a loaner will be available in Primary. You are supposed to get the nifty leather jacket...alas zero again. Now do not fret , the last week of API you are to go back to gear issue and they will take your name down and make sure that wherever you are in the world they will "do their best":icon_wink to get you the rest.

Be happy with what you got, but don't forget what you are owed...is my advice.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
:::shudder:::

I hate going to Seville and conversations with members of the opposite sex usually goes like...

Me: "I'm a student."
"Oh cool, I go to UWF, where do you go?"
"Well, um... see, I just uh..."
"...?"
"OK, so how about that weather?"

I hate dropping the obligatory "Yeah, I'm in the Navy" line because honestly, I bet every freakin' chick in & around this area has heard enough of that. It's the guys who come in wearing that jacket, the patches & the aviators who tell the ladies they're in "flight school" waiting to get into a jet and go whizzin' through the galaxy that ruin it for the rest of us. :D

Here, let Fezz help you out...

Fezz: "I'm a custodian."
Her:"Oh cool, I go to UWF, where do you go?"
Fezz: "I'm at Escambia High. It's a good job."
Her: "Really?"
Fezz: "Naw just kidding." [Insert smile]

And the rest is history....
You can name your first born after me :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Here, let Fezz help you out...

Fezz: "I'm a custodian."
Her:"Oh cool, I go to UWF, where do you go?"
Fezz: "I'm at Escambia High. It's a good job."
Her: "Really?"
Fezz: "Naw just kidding." [Insert smile]

And the rest is history....
You can name your first born after me :D
At VT-10 in 1983 there was an instructor who was a F-14 RIO. His fame was that he let everyone know he was a F-14 RIO. So all the VT-10 studs and instructors became him....

Her: "So who are you and what do you do?"
Us: "I'm Bob Toop and I fly F-14s."
Her: "Really!" (after all, this was the "Officer and a Gentleman" era)
Us: "Yup, and I don't wear underwear!"
Her:"?????"
Us: "But when I do, it's the silky tiger striped kind!"
Her: "?????"

So one night Bob Toop walks into the bar where we're all drinking and sits next to a hot chick. Pretty soon....
Her: "Hi, what's your name?"
Bob: "I'm Bob Toop and I.."
Her: "yeah, yeah...you fly F-14s and don't wear underwear unless it's silky and tiger striped...we've all heard it. Can't you at least be original?"
Bob: "??????"
Us: laughing our asses off.....

Dennis

C-17 Co
If it makes any of you guys feel better about gear issue, I only really wore two of the four flight suits I was issued until after getting wings and they held up reasonably well. Just go through Primary in the winter and don't wash them every other day. I generally waited to swap flight suits until it didn't smell respectable (subjective) or I spilled something on it (clutz). Smelling like candy and rainbows during pre-flight brief won't get you jets.

I think someone important once said something like, "You go to war with the Army..err.. Navy you have..." I'm not sure what he was getting at, but it had to have something to do with this?

Don't worry, a lot of y'all will be getting desert flight suits soon enough...

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I'd have been happy turn in my helmet for someone else to use after primary rather than move it twice and store it. The Navy supply system in its infinite wisdom decided however that it would be better for it to sit unused in my closet for the last 9 months and remain there for probably another 6 more. I'm sure it makes sense somehow.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I thought the same thing until it came time to get the old helmet out of the closet and use it again. It only takes one experience borrowing one to make you realize just how much yours has formed to your grape, especially if you are an XL like me. Trust me, you want to keep it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
can anyone tell me the rules on having velcro on the pencil patch? Is it authorized at API?

Holy thread revival!

To answer your question: If you are Navy or Marine, don't do it. Ever. Nothing will get you laughed at faster. It is more of an air force thing. Besides, that fun meter patch just isn't that funny anymore!

incubus852

pilot
Just an update.

Our class got gear issued this past wednesday. We got the following:

Four flight suits
Two pairs boots
Helmet
Mic assembly
Nomex flight jacket (the green one)
Two pairs of gloves
Helmet Bag (small)
Gear bag (big)
Logbook
Clipboard
Leather flight jacket - if you were a 46 or 48 size you have to wait till API graduation. I got mine :D
Sunglasses - All out. Apparently this is the only thing the Air Force supplys.. go figure. We're supposed to get them around graduation.

Either Wings and Things out the front gate or paraloft can do your patches. I think I got all the patches for my four flightsuits and nomex jacket for around $70. And the work is apparently faster and more quality than the paraloft...

bb1125

None
In my opinion, if you go to Wings for anything other than buying the patches, you're wasting your money. The Paraloft will do everything, even putting velcro on all your patches, FOR FREE. I don't see any difference in quality, especially since they're the only one's authorized to work on your gear. Besides, it's only friggin' velcro. When I got my issue, I dropped off gear on Thursday and it was done Monday. So, time is not an issue since you don't start wearing it until @Thursday anyways.

DevilDog9782

And the work is apparently faster and more quality than the paraloft... 01-28-2008 08:45 PM

And who told you this? I'm betting the old lady at the counter at wings...the one that was very nasty when I told her I was bringing my other flight suits to the paraloft.

Not many quality issues when it comes to sewing velcro onto a patch/flight suit. The paraloft guys are equal quality, and can be just as fast - mine were done in two days - plenty of time before we wore them anyway. Oh yea, if you didnt know, the paraloft is free. Wings charges $70 for sewing a few patches? Ridiculous. No offense, but you have to be an idiot to go to wings and spend that kind of money when the same service is available free on base. Problem was, alot of people in my class didn't know about the paraloft until it was too late.