• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current API Gear Issue Situation

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey All,
I know there was a thread earlier asking what exactly to expect for issue, but here is currently what people are getting as well as what's happening for those who don't get all their crap. The API XO taught us FR&R last week so we heard it straight from the horses mouth.

Just hoping to dispel any rumors that might be going around in the A-pool right now with some "hopefully" good gouge.

What your Natops Jacket says you're "supposed" to get:

2 Pairs of Boots
4 Flightsuits
Helmet/Mike/etc
2 Pairs of Gloves
Sunglasses
1 Green Summer Weight Jacket (CWU-36/P)
1 Leather Jacket
1 Helmet Bag
1 Parachute Bag
1 Kneeboard
1 Logbook
1 Natops Jacket/Folder

What you'll actually get:

2 Pairs of Boots (Some only got one, they were running low on 9, 9 1/2)
2 Flight Suits (if you're lucky, half my class didn't get any, unless your 42R and below or 48R and above, a few got tans in the hard to get range, most only got 1 if any at all)
2 Pairs of Gloves
1 Green Jacket
1 Helmet Bag
1 Log Book
1 Natops Jacket

Flight Suits - the manufacturers are completely out of material, the tank drivers in Iraq are actually getting flight suits b/c they are out of tankers suits, that's how bad it's getting. They say that there should be more in mid to late November for issue but don't hold your breath for it.

Helmets - if you're going to Whiting you'll be getting a helmet once you show up at Primary, and it'll likely be a modified helo helmet. Going to Vance or Corpus you should get one when you finish API, that's straight from the guys at gear issue.

Leather jackets - if you wear a 40 or smaller or a 50 or bigger you'll get it, otherwise they are completely out. Apparently the manufacturer had a contract for 4000, made them for the Navy, then went bankrupt! So, the current supply ran out and right now there is no manufacturer lined up to make more, although they are definitely trying to find one. The joke is that you'll get it when you retire!

Kneeboard/parachute bags/sunglasses - they were out when I got my stuff but the guy said that it should all be in this week sometime. We'll see... As for a kneeboard, I heard that it's better to get a 9G+ from Wings anyways, apparently the issue one sucks?

The big thing is DO NOT go out and buy a flight suit from a surplus store, etc, b/c they aren't authorized, something to do with the inncorrect amount of Nomex flame retardent as well as not being able to verify the integrity of Nomex in the suits. Also, old DRMO'ed suits are a no-go as well (some people may have scrounged one on Middie cruises, etc).

Also, right now flight suits are no longer worn during week 4, it used to be that it started on that first Monday, but now it's not till the first Monday of week 5. If you don't have a flight suit on week 5 then you either wear cammies if you have them or stripped down khaki's (no ribbons/nametag, just rank...essentially wash khakis).

Hope that helps and hope that gets rid of any rumors. I mainly wanted to put that out b/c I overheard some guys in the pool right now talking about going out and buying their own flight suits and other stuff but it turns out some of that might not be authorized.

The gist is it helps to be either really small or really big (like me, I got everything, even a leather jacket, and they are currently molding me my own flight helmet b/c my head is too big for the XL! :D ) Otherwise, don't expect to get too much stuff.

robav8r

None
Contributor
That's funny about the leather flight jackets - the Whidbey Island exchange has an entire rack of them! Norfolk had them too. I guess if you wanted to actually buy one yourself, you could - pricey though.

When I checked in to Whidbey here in March of this year, I couldn't get any flight suits either. Had to wait almost three months to get them from back-order. The "Sand-Crab" at gear issue told me LOTS of stuff was on back order - the worst she has ever seen! Priority is for the guys headed out to the desert & deployment. Bottom line - take care of your flight gear, who knows when you'll get anymore !!!

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I dont get why gear issue runs out of the "average" size (i.e. 40R, 42R). A bunch of us had to wait 3 months to get flight suits that actually fit. Luckily, we got our leathers the day of gear issue.

I think its a better idea to wear flight suits till after academics. I felt like I didnt earn the right to wear the suit until I finished FRR.

Not sure about the pilots, but you'll end up buying your own kneeboard if you go FO. Actually, youll end up buying a lot of your own sh!t (i.e. kneeboard, chart/nav bag, approach plates holder, etc). We even had to buy our own whiz wheels?! We're training to be navs yet we dont get issued the whiz wheel. I dont get it.

Crowbar

None
Not sure about the pilots, but you'll end up buying your own kneeboard if you go FO. Actually, youll end up buying a lot of your own sh!t (i.e. kneeboard, chart/nav bag, approach plates holder, etc).

When I started primary, TW-6 gave all of us 9G kneeboards and T-6 nav bags. I guess they don't do that anymore?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
We even had to buy our own whiz wheels?! We're training to be navs yet we dont get issued the whiz wheel. I dont get it.
I'll give you mine.

As for "unauthorized" flight suits, many guys (mostly instructors) wear different styles of flight suits. If they look remotely like the issued ones and you don't mind spending a few bucks, I'd try getting a pair and see if anyone notices. Just don't crash, and flame retardancy won't be an issue.
Beware of supply guys that tell you when you'll get the rest of your gear. They might be giving you a "best-case" scenario, and we all know how those go.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Helmets - if you're going to Whiting you'll be getting a helmet once you show up at Primary, and it'll likely be a modified helo helmet. Going to Vance or Corpus you should get one when you finish API, that's straight from the guys at gear issue.

Probably the single best piece of news. I wonder if I could "damage" my helmet and get a helo to replace it. Ironically, when I went over to issue the other day to get some gloves, they had signs saying they were out of helo helmets.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'll give you mine.

As for "unauthorized" flight suits, many guys (mostly instructors) wear different styles of flight suits. If they look remotely like the issued ones and you don't mind spending a few bucks, I'd try getting a pair and see if anyone notices. Just don't crash, and flame retardancy won't be an issue.
Beware of supply guys that tell you when you'll get the rest of your gear. They might be giving you a "best-case" scenario, and we all know how those go.

My point of view- If they are supposed to get them for you, why buy a flight suit on your own?... go with what you got. Primary PRs are a lot easier to deal with the the gear Nazi's in API. If enough of the studs are AFU, people with some juice should get spooled up and work allieviate the situation.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
When I started primary, TW-6 gave all of us 9G kneeboards and T-6 nav bags. I guess they don't do that anymore?

Are you serious? Sheeeeeeeesh. Yea, i ended up throwing down like $70-80 for all my stuff, including the kneeboard and nav bag. Probably part of the "Student Harassment Package" along with turnpoint procedures. I'm still a$$es to elbows. But its getting better.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
FYI, it's not just tankers getting issued flight suits in Iraq. According to our word (rotating early next year), ALL vehicle operators are required to wear nomex in theater now, due to IED-related burns, etc. And since they ran of tanker suits... By the way, I know the 1stLt who suggested the flight suits to the grunts if anyone wants his number.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
the way, I know the 1stLt who suggested the flight suits to the grunts if anyone wants his number.

Why, to congratulate him on having a good idea? It might be an annoyance to those of us about to start API, but they obviously need them more. Looking cool, while important, comes second to potentially saving someone's life.

*steps off soapbox*

Now whomever makes the damn things needs to get their sh!t together...

gaetabob

pilot
For those that have gone through API in the past few weeks and reported to Primary, how has the lack of gear issue affected you down the line? Are the primary training wings absorbing the supply crunch alright and getting you the rest of the gear you need (ie flight suits, helmets, etc)? or is a sh!tstorm starting to build? thanks...

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I have been in Primary for 2 months, and I still only have one flight suit. It's not really a big deal to have one flight suit...it just means that you do more laundry. I have also seen some new guys wearing khaki flight suits. Also, you can borrow helmets and O2 masks from the PR shop if you don't get issued these items. Don't stress about it too much; the PR's and your squadron will make sure that you have the equipment you need to fly.

Rubiks06

pilot
Yeah dont get your hopes up about getting a helmet when you get here to primary. They dont have any here either. Youll be rocking a rental until they get more in. Good news is i saw a sign yesterday that said there was a new shipment of kahki flight suits that just came in.