• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current API Gear Issue Situation

Oakley568

DI$BO
Just found out today that they don't have 42L and 44L's...and they won't be getting any until sometime in FEB...almost all of the studs in our class are that size. I like being short and skinny:D

Now here's to hoping they still have a few Leather Jackets come Thursday morning!

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Ah, to resurrect...so regarding the famous leather jacket, it's literally been two years since issue and the folks at Pensacola are doing the "smile and nod" over the phone to me and to my squadron's flight gear people when we ask about new shipments...when they say "we'll let you know," is that really "the contract is not being renewed" ? The man on the phone won't explain further.

I'm looking for current, non-hearsay information, since at this point I'm feeling cold and left out and in the mood to buy one on the open market if they're really not going to make more, but I could use the three hundred bucks somewhere else, too. 44R.

red_stang65

pilot
Same here, got mine about 3 weeks after original gear issue (heard they had a shipment, so my class and I dropped by). 44Rs went out like hotcakes (what are those, anyway? And are they really that tasty? Guess I'll never know, seeing as they're always gone...) Anywho...yeah, we lucked out. Can't say anything about those out of the PCola area.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
well here's a question. If they're sending flight suits to tank drivers in iraq, why are we running out of green ones and flight students getting issued desert ones? wouldn't they be sending the desert ones to iraq and subsequently running out of those? just curious.

note: i know nothing about tank driving and not much about API gear issue. well, other than i got my leather jacket.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
well here's a question. If they're sending flight suits to tank drivers in iraq, why are we running out of green ones and flight students getting issued desert ones? wouldn't they be sending the desert ones to iraq and subsequently running out of those? just curious.

note: i know nothing about tank driving and not much about API gear issue. well, other than i got my leather jacket.
The gouge that I have heard is that they are giving AAV guys and tankers the flight suits due to its fire resistance. They are not too concerned about giving them desert suits because they are inside their vehicles. If they end up going on foot patrols or anything like that they have their desert cammies. Thats why we are so low on the green flight suits in those common sizes.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Basically, if you're a 44R you will have a tough time getting gear. I'm a 40R and got my 4 green flight suits, a 42-44 nomex jacket and a 42 R leather without a hitch. I actually picked up my helmet today too. People havent been getting helmets for quite some time now.

phishsig

New Gear Issue

4 Flight Suits all Green
2 Boots, Black
1 Green Jacket
2 Nomex Gloves
Parachute Bag
Helmet Bag
1 Leather Jacket
1 Kneeboard
1 Pair of Aviators

That's what I got....last week

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Oh yeah, here's another tidbit...

I got to VAW-120 a year ago and was doing a FOD walk when the skipper saw me in my green jacket. It was a might bit chilly and he asked me where my winter weight green jacket was. My response? "My what?" Yeah, the folks in Pensacola don't/didn't issue the winter weight green jackets. These things are money! The leather looks cool, but the winter weight green is generally warmer, you can fly with it (no so with the leather), and you don't feel so bad if you spill soda on it or get grease pencil on it or something of that nature.

On other bit of gouge...don't be so eager to get loads of velcro on your jackets. All you HAVE to have is a namepatch on it, and the green jackets come with that. As far as getting velcro on the leather...no way. Don't let some CMC bully you into thinking you have to have a name patch on your leather jacket. Remember, rank insignia does not an officer make.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
4 Flight Suits all Green
2 Boots, Black
1 Green Jacket
2 Nomex Gloves
Parachute Bag
Helmet Bag
1 Leather Jacket
1 Kneeboard
1 Pair of Aviators

That's what I got....last week

Moto TBS photo ... brings back some flash backs of the good times in the field.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh yeah, here's another tidbit...

I got to VAW-120 a year ago and was doing a FOD walk when the skipper saw me in my green jacket. It was a might bit chilly and he asked me where my winter weight green jacket was. My response? "My what?" Yeah, the folks in Pensacola don't/didn't issue the winter weight green jackets. These things are money! The leather looks cool, but the winter weight green is generally warmer, you can fly with it (no so with the leather), and you don't feel so bad if you spill soda on it or get grease pencil on it or something of that nature.

I don't think they've issued the winter weight for years. I see East Coast guys have them, but generally West Coast guys don't get them, which kind of makes sense. At my fleet squadron, I went to the MCO and asked for one, since it's issue, and they ordered it. Got it the day I left for deployment on the way to winter in Peru. I was very thankful.

hscs

pilot
Is the shortage really caused by tankers or other ground pounders wearing flight suits? I just haven't seen any of those types in flight suits in the desert.

snow787

Still waiting for helmet at Corpus Primary...

I'm in Corpus Primary about to begin my FAM flights, and I'm still waiting on a helmet. The guys in classes behind us actually have helmets, but our contact down in Pensacola says he hasn't had any for 3 weeks and won't have any till the end of March. Guessing that had them for a while and ran out w/o telling the guys not in Pensacola, but I'm having trouble getting straight answers from the contact in Pensacola. I'm looking for a large, but my doesn't really fit the mask/helmet right without some special type of modification (that they obviously can't do to borrowed helmets).

Any ideas on how to acquire a helmet that can actually be modified to fit me for flights?

MasterBates

Have you talked to the PR's in Hangar 56? Or your sqadron supply person? I just ordered a new HGU-68 today, and it should be in and ready in a couple days.

And I have an odd sized head.