• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current API Gear Issue Situation

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think they've issued the winter weight for years.
You mean at API or period, at all, in the TRACOM? I got the winter weight when I went through NMM and it was money. Great supply folks down there; I got my leather jacket (after getting BS'ed by the P-cola supply dept for over a year), the nomex, thermals, AND flight suits which actually were the correct size through them while I was there.

robav8r

None
Contributor
KNUW Flight Gear

KNUW update:

The folks at flight gear issue say they are seeing a large increase in the number of back orders for desert flight gear. Apparently, the majority of the desert gear is being shipped directly to the CENTCOM AOR for issue there. There are lots of back orders and stories of companies going out of business for lack of payment. Bottom line - get what you can, where you can and TAKE CARE OF IT !!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You mean at API or period, at all, in the TRACOM? I got the winter weight when I went through NMM and it was money. Great supply folks down there; I got my leather jacket (after getting BS'ed by the P-cola supply dept for over a year), the nomex, thermals, AND flight suits which actually were the correct size through them while I was there.

I meant API/Primary. I'm guessing since Whiting is in the primary supply chain, that's why you can't get them here, even in advanced. I did get the thermals in Advanced, though.

Chain of Command. /End Quote.

Concur. Especially if there's an issue w/ the gear fitting for the actual "Life Support" of Aviation Life Support Systems, let your Onwing/CA know and go from there.

hobiesailor13

pilot
Is there a time when we can/can't wear our leather jackets? I finally got one but I've heard you're not supposed to wear them until you get your wings from one person and it dosent matter from others. Does anyone know what the deal is?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Is there a time when we can/can't wear our leather jackets? I finally got one but I've heard you're not supposed to wear them until you get your wings from one person and it dosent matter from others. Does anyone know what the deal is?

It's more of a superstition thing, some guys don't want to wear them till wings b/c they think they'll jinx themselves. What I've explicitly been told not to wear was brown boots, that's a big no-no till you're winged. The rest of the stuff you get issued so it's kind of pointless to not wear them. Most of the guys around here don't wear them because they don't have them, but I guess that'll change now that they seem to be issuing them again.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I don't know that leather jackets on SNAs/SNFOs is a no-no. Coming through both primary at Whiting and advanced in Corpus it wasn't unusual to see students wearing leather flight jackets when it was cold enough. That said, don't be the tool that wears it when the outside temp doesn't warrant it. Also don't wear it without actually having a uniform on underneath it. It's not some jacket you throw on with your jeans to run to the store.

I shudder to think what would happen to an SNA that rolled into a training squadron wearing brown boots. Images of a jet fuel soaked student, lit on fire, and running down the flight line come to mind.
As I understand it you can have supply order them for you once you get to your first fleet squadron. I may be wrong on that, but I can tell you from what little expierience I have, I haven't see a student in the P-3 RAG with brown boots. Maybe it's different with other platforms.

MasterBates

Why are brown boots a no-no but brown shoes with Khakis are? Just curious..

(I wore brown boots in flight school, I didn't get attrited..)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Why are brown boots a no-no but brown shoes with Khakis are? Just curious..

(I wore brown boots in flight school, I didn't get attrited..)

I think brown boots vs brown shoes signify two different things. Getting a hold of brown boots is viewed as something that marks a guy as having been part of a fleet squadron and signifies a level of expierience. On the other hand brown shoes with khakis marks someone as not being a shoe. The shoe signifies type (shoe vs. aviation), the boot denotes expierience (SNA vs fleet aviator).

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Most guys start wearing them once they get to API. That's the first chance most of us have to go to an exchange and get them.