• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CUBI CAT is BA-A-A-ACK ??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And while we're doing the O'Clubs "best of the rest" survey ... let us not forget our Army brethren ... :)

Ft. Ruger, Schofield Barracks, Ft. Shafter, Ft. Lawton (OUTSTANDING:D), Ft. Sam Houston, Ft. Hood, Ft. Ord, Ft. Benning, Ft. Stotsenberg PI (Baguio), Dragon Hill (8th Army - SEL) .... AND especially Ft. DeRussy -- back when Hale Koa was just a wet dream in the mind of some bureaucrat and developer.

Flugelman

Contributor
Nawww, always had a 20 year bin fulla em, the stripped out ones I got rid of in the intakes. You seen my ZEUS wrench laying around? :p

Still got one in my tool box, along with the TL-29 jackknife/screwdriver.:D

Old NFO

None
Here's a Postscript to the story from an unknown source. [/CENTER]

Great story. Thanks for passing it along. As I'm sure you did, I Launched -and paid. I have a VP-19 yearbook with pics of the cat shot in it. You and I were out there at the same time, as I recall - circa '72. Here's my footnote to the story.A former POW, who allegedly became born-again as he parachuted into North Vietnamese custody, swore he would build a church if he ever survived the ordeal. He did survive, became CO of Cubi Point, built a new base chapel, tried to convert Cubi O'Club into a family club, removed the cat shot, forbade the display of nude centerfolds anywhere on the base (which was a disaster for the VR-50 ready room in the BOQ annex, in which, you might recall, the walls and ceiling were completely covered with Playboy centerfolds), tried to get the bars shut down in Olongopo - he was a real force to reckon with. I can't remember his name, but I was out there in 77-78 just after he left. The atmosphere on the base among both the enlisted men and the officers was awful. He initially filled the cat shot pool with dirt and planted flowers in it (adding insult to injury). But the flowers died, so he filled the pool with cement and converted the downstairs space into a teen-agers disco. I suspect what he really wanted was to close the club and herd everyone into his new chapel. He certainly changed the demeanor of the club - it was no longer fun to go there, so he drove everyone out into town, thereby producing the exact opposite of his desired result.

The base CO from hell was Captain Rutledge... Among other things, he had people written up coming back from Ologopo for public drunkeness regardless of actual condition, had people written up in the barber shop while waiting to get haircuts, etc. That all started in June of 75, if I remember correctly. :icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The base CO ... was Captain Rutledge ... June of 75, if I remember correctly.
Yeah -- that was a shock when we rolled in there for the last cruise in '75 and found the fabled CUBI O'Club had "changed". The new guys in the squadron were VERY upset at the retirement of the CUBI CAT as they had been itching to try their 80 proof tailhook "skills.

We still managed to tear the place apart on a frequent and regular basis, however, and some fellows would go "water" the flowers in the old pool after a few too many late night San Miguels -- mebbe that's why the flowers died -- too much "water".:D The U.S. style pizza served downstairs in the new "disco" was a welcome late night addition to the familiar fare @ the Chuckwagon on Subic side or the day-old CUBI Dogs @ the BOQ bar ... :eek: ... and I never did see any teenagers there; we would have scared 'em in any case.

And you could still could hear the little flip-flop's of "guests" going down the passageway @ the BOQ in the middle of the night, so while maybe "the more things changed" .... perhaps" the more they stayed the same" ?? :D

The ironic thing about Capt Rutledge's policies was they had the very opposite effect of the original intent. As the base clubs became more "restrictive", more and more guys went to town ... which was not exactly what the Capt. had in mind when he instituted the new "morals" policies ... rumor was he was largely motivated by his wife in the "crackdown". :)

I gotta give Capt. Rutledge some slack, however. He was hard core and one of the long-time POW's ... some of you may have heard of him:

POW Network Capt. Howard E. Rutlege

rutlegebk4.jpg
rutlege1oo6.jpg
rutlege3bz5.jpg
rutlege2ky0.jpg

MasterBates

I will be posting pictures of the construction of the Cat.

The "official" name has not been determined yet, but will likely be a local variant on "CUBI CAT". We are trying to get a reproduction of the plaques showing the original at the museum. To show the "heritage" of the Cat, and where we got the idea.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The "official" name has not been determined yet, but will likely be a local variant on "CUBI CAT". We are trying to get a reproduction of the plaques showing the original at the museum. To show the "heritage" of the Cat, and where we got the idea.

Kinda of cheesy, but 'King Cat'?

sniksnak

Flew Hornets when the Navy still did that
pilot

MB - if you pull this off, in addition to the AWG uniform thing, they damn well better give you an award for your work in keeping alive old Navy traditions!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Today-

Marked where we need to dig, PW is coming to mark/check utilities. Digging for the landing pond will begin Wednesday as long as there are no site engineering issues.

You know ... I just can't F'ing believe this ... it's GREAT!!!

Hat's off to you, MasterB ... and a "hand salute" to those senior to you who are supporting and approving this project. If it wasn't so goddamn far -- I'd almost be willing to fly down for the "dedication". :D

This would be "ho-hum" in my day .... but now??? Nourishing and cultivating our NAVAIR traditions in the "kinder, gentler" Navy?? This is a RARE happening in "modern" Naval Aviation.

BZ to all involved.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You know ... could/would the various VR 'rons be amenable to an RON in Kingsville any time in the foreseeable future???

For training?? For tradition?? For the hell of it??

Just thinkin' ... you wouldn't have to ask in the ol' days. :)