• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CUBI CAT is BA-A-A-ACK ??

plc67

pilot
At 10 cents a drink you could afford to buy the house a round and
still have plenty left for the Marmont, Carrier or Wave. All well noted Christian Science reading rooms.

tiger84

LT
pilot
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for polyurethane wheel and you'll find all kinds of cart type wheels that should work. They're obviously not as heavy duty as the roller coaster wheels, but they're also a lot cheaper. You could easily fab up a bracket to properly space the wheels out of plate steel or aluminum using a drill press and then use large diameter allen or hex bolts as the axles. If I happen to get lucky and pick up a tailhook slot this week and by some chance wind up in Kingsville I'd be more than willing to lend my engineering/machining experience to the project.

MasterBates

Thanks all. I am in the process of putting together the bill of materials so I can give the MWR director a quote on what this will cost to build/operate.

MasterBates

And yes, my parents think this is a "wonderful" use of my $120K engineering degree from GMI..

But it's right up the alley of stuff I used to build at school.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I remember about the set up we used in Miramar in 88 timeframe is as follows:

Basically, it was in the edge of the pool and dumped you into the pool.

The ride was only about 8 feet long. You sat in a cart which was pulled up to the top with a pulley set up and hook on the back of the cart.

You had a lever you pulled to set the hook. If you pulled it a nano-second too early, it hit a bump before the "wire" and popped back up under the "Jet" and locked up for good...over the wire you went and into the drink. If you pulled it just right it fell right in front of the wire and you trapped. Too late and you went into the drink.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
And yes, my parents think this is a "wonderful" use of my $120K engineering degree from GMI..

But it's right up the alley of stuff I used to build at school.

Hey, its better than sitting in the Puma all day on AW ... oh wait :p

MasterBates

The current design is 30 feet long, and we have to build a pond to land in. No pool here. Something about water evaporating in the desert to quickly..

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Master if you need help in construction let me know. I could use a break from my non flying month...