• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CUBI CAT is BA-A-A-ACK ??

MasterBates

That's a $450 uniform Phrog.. I walked back to the PUMA and changed before we got too stupid. I apparently was dancing on the bar at one point last night. They claim there are pictures of that too..

We had the O-Club packed all the way until closing at 0200.. With slip and slide carrier quals among other things.

On a side note, does anyone know how the "Carrier Qual" ride from Cubi Point was constructed? Because I have been asked to build one for the Kingsville O-Club.

MasterBates

I have been asked "can you make it work?"..

I think I can. Of course, if anyone has any close up pics of the rails/roller and hook point assembly I can work smarter, not harder, and not reinvent the wheel.

Due to maintenance issues, it's probably going to have to be gravity operated, but I am looking a "spring assist CAT shot" using some springs and a pelican hook as a holdback to give a proper "kick in the pants" to get it rolling.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
There are pictures and descriptions of it in http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Glory-Sa...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204496571&sr=1-1

"Fall From Glory" by Vistica. Good book about the Navy in the 80's in 90's (not our Glory days according to the media).

Well....
If you want a good book on Tailhook 91, read "The Mother of All Hooks: The Story of the U.S. Navy’s Tailhook Scandal" by William McMichael. Transaction Publishers, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, 1997, 377 pages, $32.95.
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/bookrev/mcmichael.html
Vistica was out to get a major literary award and did a hatchet job on the Association and the Navy in general in the San Diego Union Tribune. Kept rehashing in sensationalistic/emotionally charged language every day for months, even when some of his "facts" were proven to be wrong.... and by the way, he was the guy who started the story that finally resulted in the suicide of ADM Borda.
The words "good" and "Vistica" should never be in the same paragraph.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish I'd taken pictures of that cubi cat rig now...but at the time you just lived it and...wow...what a time.

MasterBates

Does anyone know if the Cubi Cat made it P-Cola?

If so, I think I know where my AirNav solo is gonna go for "research purposes"

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if the Cubi Cat made it P-Cola?

If so, I think I know where my AirNav solo is gonna go for "research purposes"

I dropped in there today and no, there was no Cubi Cat. I read an article on the wall about the carrier landing contraption that they had and an admiral that rode it back in the day. He went in the pool and then boarded his plane in a wet uniform. Those must have been good times... The pics of the CQ rig had "powered by nitrogen" written on the fuselage.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Not sure if it is the same one used in the film, but Flight of the Intruder has a good scene of guys successfully "trapping" and "bolter-ing" into a mud pit that is supposed to take place at Cubi. IIRC though, I think it operates via an overhead track system, maybe worth it to check it out if you haven't already.

On a side note, I was the new guy you chatted with before the ceremony that was working the winging, I definitely like the AWG's, never have seen them before your whole quest began, but I'd buy a set for sure.

- Josh

FastMover

NFO
None
I dropped in there today and no, there was no Cubi Cat.

It may be worth asking someone who works there if they have it put away in storage. The plaques, dartboards, etc. that they have on display in the Cubi club are supposedly only a fraction of the stuff they brought back from the PI.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I check-in at VT-4 in April. If it's there (the museums storage area), I'll help in the "re-location" effort.:D
Could be a sweet road-trip. RON in Naw-Lins anyone?

MasterBates

Just to give an idea of the crowds that can be brought into the club if you put work into it (and have a great time)

This pic was about 2330-0000ish on Friday Night.. About 60% of these people were still there at closing time.

l_0c6f94a37d71a9f246f72167c985ae05.jpg

Credit for the raging party belongs to the new Naval Aviators who winged on 29 FEB in Kingsville.

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
was i there? Oh wait, I'm in the picture. I must have had a great time. I love hearing those stories about Cubi and Klondike and the such. We're trying our damndest to bring back the good ole days.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...This pic was about 2330-0000ish on Friday Night.. About 60% of these people were still there at closing time.

l_0c6f94a37d71a9f246f72167c985ae05.jpg

Now if you would get rid of those silly bandannas (or bananas?) and add a LOT more polyester and some sideburns -- you'd ALMOST have a 40-year FLASHBACK ... !!! :eek::)

HEY!!! I just noticed!!! Does that guy in the right background have a BALLCAP ON HIS HEAD?? A COVER ON IN THE O' CLUB??? If so; I assume he's treating the crowd ... yea-as???