• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't get a flag. Just took the letter to a National Guard Soldier Services Office to get the ID.

For all the blood and sweat I put into the reserves, I wanted my flag! PERS said it was my NOSC, my NOSC said it was PERS that was supposed to give it to me. Finally the funeral honors director of my previous NOSC sent me a flag…Although I don’t think that’s where it was supposed to come from.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The funeral flags come from the post office. You bring them the deceased's DD-214 and the post office looks up the identity (to make sure the person is only getting one flag, you only get one), logs it in some master database, and hands over the flag for the coffin. Well, the coffin and funeral or the memorial ceremony if you're doing the cremation urn thing, or whatever kind of memorial/celebration of life/etc. your deal is. Point is everybody gets one flag and you get it from the post office.

Pro tip: either make your DD-214 really easy to find or register it at your local courthouse. When dead vets had a weird way of organizing their stuff or not organizing it at all, it drives surviving family and friends bonkers looking for that document, sometimes for a day or two when they already have enough stress in their life because you just croaked.

The funeral flags come from the post office. You bring them the deceased's DD-214 and the post office looks up the identity (to make sure the person is only getting one flag, you only get one), logs it in some master database, and hands over the flag for the coffin. Well, the coffin and funeral or the memorial ceremony if you're doing the cremation urn thing, or whatever kind of memorial/celebration of life/etc. your deal is. Point is everybody gets one flag and you get it from the post office.

Pro tip: either make your DD-214 really easy to find or register it at your local courthouse. When dead vets had a weird way of organizing their stuff or not organizing it at all, it drives surviving family and friends bonkers looking for that document, sometimes for a day or two when they already have enough stress in their life because you just croaked.
Yeah, my post was confusing, but two different things. When you retire, Uncle Sam owes you a flag. Thanks Uncle Sam didn’t make that easy for me, so the FHD coordinator did me a solid and sent me a flag.

Also, if you or your family go get your “deceased flag”, the Navy won’t provide one for your funeral. Usually you provide the DD-214 or other proof of service to the funeral home, and the funeral home contacts the Navy to arrange the detail amd flag. Your advice on keeping your docs ready and available certainly holds (I’m not trying to be an “actually…” guy here).

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

How do you register your DD-214 at the courthouse?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
How do you register your DD-214 at the courthouse?
County clerk might be a better term than courthouse. It's a bit old fashioned and FWIW I haven't done it myself. Funny thing about my DD-214, I don't have an "original." I have a high res color scan PDF from PSD. If anybody asks for the original (has happened once) I just print it and say here ya go. I'm not sure where the ink signature version went, lala land I suppose.

For the deceased flag coming from the post office, the various local funeral directors always procured them that way when I was at a NOSC a few years ago. I guess there's no reason the funeral person at the NOSC can't do the legwork instead, or their service equivalent (the branches of the armed forces all implement veteran funeral honors a bit different; the Navy built their system around using the reserves for it, I don't know what the others do exactly but I know they each do it a little differently).

For the retirement flag, yeah, not everybody even knows you get one of those too, and I can't remember where it comes from either. I didn't get one, didn't try. I have my memorabilia and a few favorite items but I've never done an "I love me" room full of the stuff (to each their own, those who do).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
County clerk might be a better term than courthouse. It's a bit old fashioned and FWIW I haven't done it myself. Funny thing about my DD-214, I don't have an "original." I have a high res color scan PDF from PSD. If anybody asks for the original (has happened once) I just print it and say here ya go. I'm not sure where the ink signature version went, lala land I suppose.

For the deceased flag coming from the post office, the various local funeral directors always procured them that way when I was at a NOSC a few years ago. I guess there's no reason the funeral person at the NOSC can't do the legwork instead, or their service equivalent (the branches of the armed forces all implement veteran funeral honors a bit different; the Navy built their system around using the reserves for it, I don't know what the others do exactly but I know they each do it a little differently).

For the retirement flag, yeah, not everybody even knows you get one of those too, and I can't remember where it comes from either. I didn't get one, didn't try. I have my memorabilia and a few favorite items but I've never done an "I love me" room full of the stuff (to each their own, those who do).
DD214’s aren’t signed in ink these days, just a CAC signature. It is a good idea to file your 214 with both local and state veteran offices since laws and regulations often change and often change in your favor. This year I get one car tax free!

nodropinufaka

So I’m assuming from what I read here and in the instructions- I don’t actually got to do anything else now except wait for them to send me a letter?

says effective date is 01 Jan 2022.

GubMints

For all the blood and sweat I put into the reserves, I wanted my flag! PERS said it was my NOSC, my NOSC said it was PERS that was supposed to give it to me. Finally the funeral honors director of my previous NOSC sent me a flag…Although I don’t think that’s where it was supposed to come from.
VXC - Sorry you did not get your Retirement Flag- IIRC mine came in the same parcel my official 'You're Retired' letter arrived in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What? Didn't think I got a flag until they drapes it over my coffin.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I went to my Red Carpet event this past week. My official last date is 31 JAN 23 (or January 31, 2023 in civilian form). It hadn't really hit home until I received a framed certificate detailing all of my awards and military assignments. They F'd up the Navy part, but what do you expect? They otherwise did a great job on the whole event. I arrived an hour early because finding a parking space downtown at St. Francis Barracks in St. Augustine is nearly impossible. Much to my surprise, I had a reserved spot with my name on it right in front. They actually asked some directors and others to work from home that day to provide parking for 24 soon to be retirees. Each of our names were announced during the ceremony, which took place on the parade grounds on the Mantazas River in front of the barracks/state HQ. There was a band, and they even fired the canons for us. Well, really for retreat, but it was kind of special.

Retiring from what is considered to be the oldest militia/nation guard unit in our country was a great moment. If you haven't been to St. Augustine and soaked in the 457 years of history, you're missing out.

Hopefully I won't have one last hurrah as this storm (Nicole) zig zags across the state over the next few days! I'm not out yet!!!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I went to my Red Carpet event this past week. My official last date is 31 JAN 23 (or January 31, 2023 in civilian form). It hadn't really hit home until I received a framed certificate detailing all of my awards and military assignments. They F'd up the Navy part, but what do you expect? They otherwise did a great job on the whole event. I arrived an hour early because finding a parking space downtown at St. Francis Barracks in St. Augustine is nearly impossible. Much to my surprise, I had a reserved spot with my name on it right in front. They actually asked some directors and others to work from home that day to provide parking for 24 soon to be retirees. Each of our names were announced during the ceremony, which took place on the parade grounds on the Mantazas River in front of the barracks/state HQ. There was a band, and they even fired the canons for us. Well, really for retreat, but it was kind of special.

Retiring from what is considered to be the oldest militia/nation guard unit in our country was a great moment. If you haven't been to St. Augustine and soaked in the 457 years of history, you're missing out.

Hopefully I won't have one last hurrah as this storm (Nicole) zig zags across the state over the next few days! I'm not out yet!!!
Congratulations! On the evening of the Sunday of my last MUTA 5 they basically said…”Well, bye.”