• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Supposedly, says a former T-45 winging classmate of mine (who posted this info), this will be different than last time. NOSC selres beware

Ooooh, very mysterious. Good thing I went VTU. Funny thing was when I submitted my papers, everyone said "I don't understand why you don't stay SELRES, sir. Involuntary MOBs are going away!"

Uh huh.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How so, did they say?

I believe the fine print was that the RC fill cap is 50% of all IAs, with that total number supposedly being lower than in previous years (what they have termed "enduring IA requirements). CNAFR is still "fenced" FWIW.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I believe the fine print was that the RC fill cap is 50% of all IAs, with that total number supposedly being lower than in previous years (what they have termed "enduring IA requirements). CNAFR is still "fenced" FWIW.

Yup. Says 50% RC fill right there in the memo.

Based on how critically undermanned CNATRA remains, I doubt that fence is going away anytime soon.

Mirage

pilot
Yup. Says 50% RC fill right there in the memo.

Based on how critically undermanned CNATRA remains, I doubt that fence is going away anytime soon.
50% or not won't matter for individual people, I wouldn't think. If you have to be SELRES as a non-flying 13xx for 8+ years, at some point you'll get tagged. At least that's my guess. I have no inside knowledge and would love to be wrong.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
50% or not won't matter for individual people, I wouldn't think. If you have to be SELRES as a non-flying 13xx for 8+ years, at some point you'll get tagged. At least that's my guess. I have no inside knowledge and would love to be wrong.

Yeah this is probably valid

snake020

Contributor
Pretty sure they kiboshed that. You’re only allowed to go IRR-ASP if you are within a service commitment (like the 8-year enlistment) or if you had over 16 years service by a certain date that’s way in the past. It’s SELRES or VTU-only for all intents and purposes now.

"Upon completion of initial 8-year MSO (officer or enlisted) or current contract (enlisted), the Service member will no longer be eligible to remain in the IRR-ASP, with the exception of members who have obtained 16 qualifying years for retirement as of 30 September 2017. Members who desire continued service may request affiliation with SELRES or IRR VTU."

The only other option to accumulate good years and retirement points is through USNR-S1 service, which is an edge case:

"Service members meeting the requirements for IRR-ASP may be transferred to USNR-S1 status per references (g), (h), and MILPERSMAN 1001-100 for reasons including the following:

a. Service member has a temporary hardship per reference (I) [DoD Instruction 1235.09] with intent to return to SELRES or VTU.

b. Service member is designated as a key employee in the Federal Government or designated as a key non-Federal public or private employee.

c. Service member is a theology student at an accredited theological or divinity school (other than those participating in a military Chaplain Candidate or Theology Student Program)."

sevenhelmet

pilot

That's my guess as well- the warfare qual experience and TS/SCI eligibility are what tend to seal the deal from what I have seen.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way it was explained to me is that for any IA billet, they’ll try to tag the junior qualified person who has never MOBed before. The only time they will double-tap folks who have MOBed already in their career is if there are no volunteers and no one who hasn’t MOBed fits the rank and qualifications needed.

snake020

Contributor
The way it was explained to me is that for any IA billet, they’ll try to tag the junior qualified person who has never MOBed before. The only time they will double-tap folks who have MOBed already in their career is if there are no volunteers and no one who hasn’t MOBed fits the rank and qualifications needed.
NIFR MOBs have been community managed and they have maintained a MOB ready list which is published monthly on their SharePoint. Those at the top of the list are those who have not MOBd before in the Reserves, ranked by their PEBD. All others that follow are based on when they fell out of dwell. It seems how the unmanaged population is ranked is not as transparent, but I would hope it would be the same.

Buffmeyer

NIFR MOBs have been community managed and they have maintained a MOB ready list which is published monthly on their SharePoint. Those at the top of the list are those who have not MOBd before in the Reserves, ranked by their PEBD. All others that follow are based on when they fell out of dwell. It seems how the unmanaged population is ranked is not as transparent, but I would hope it would be the same.

Was curious what’s going on with the IA/Mob world.

According to this story (Link) “Mustin said the Reserve is still a long way away from zero [IAs], but those types of one-by-one mobilizations are expected to drop to about 1,200 this year (2022), less than half of what the Reserve has typically seen in recent years. And none of those IA orders will be involuntary.”

However, I don’t know what the on-paper numbers look like and I haven’t seen the NIFR short-list in a very long time either.

Last edited:

Mirage

pilot
Was curious what’s going on with the IA/Mob world.

According to this story (Link) “Mustin said the Reserve is still a long way away from zero [IAs], but those types of one-by-one mobilizations are expected to drop to about 1,200 this year (2022), less than half of what the Reserve has typically seen in recent years. And none of those IA orders will be involuntary.”

However, I don’t know what the on-paper numbers look like and I haven’t seen the NIFR short-list in a very long time either.
If none will be involuntary, then why did they rescind the policy that prevented them from involuntary mob'ing? That gives them all of the negative (people leaving SELRES) without any of the benefit (mob'ing folks involuntarily).

Consider me doubtful that's true.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And that's all she wrote. Today is technically my last day as a SELRES, but the RAPIDS labs aren't open on weekends, so I dropped off my CAC at the NOAA office in Seattle, and picked up my retired ID. At this point I have to say I'm just glad to be done. It was a tough choice, because after all the screwiness that was my career, I had somehow stumbled my way back onto the Golden Path. I turned down what would have been a 15-month XO ride which would have been a basically-guaranteed-if-you-don't-screw-up #1 EP, which would have set me up well to buck for command and O-6 if I'd stayed in.

But I looked at the path ahead if I'd wanted to make O-6 and flag, and realized my life wouldn't have been my own, my parents aren't getting any younger, and what would I get at the end by holding down essentially a second full-time job? Statistically probably not stars, and so it was a choice to not kneecap my career in tech for an extra $15K on my pension. There's other places and ways to earn money. So in that case, rip the Band-Aid off and be done, because every hour more I put in is an hour I'm not putting into either caring for myself or becoming a more proficient geek.

Here's to 20+ more years in the tech sector . . .

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
And that's all she wrote. Today is technically my last day as a SELRES, but the RAPIDS labs aren't open on weekends, so I dropped off my CAC at the NOAA office in Seattle, and picked up my retired ID. At this point I have to say I'm just glad to be done. It was a tough choice, because after all the screwiness that was my career, I had somehow stumbled my way back onto the Golden Path. I turned down what would have been a 15-month XO ride which would have been a basically-guaranteed-if-you-don't-screw-up #1 EP, which would have set me up well to buck for command and O-6 if I'd stayed in.

But I looked at the path ahead if I'd wanted to make O-6 and flag, and realized my life wouldn't have been my own, my parents aren't getting any younger, and what would I get at the end by holding down essentially a second full-time job? Statistically probably not stars, and so it was a choice to not kneecap my career in tech for an extra $15K on my pension. There's other places and ways to earn money. So in that case, rip the Band-Aid off and be done, because every hour more I put in is an hour I'm not putting into either caring for myself or becoming a more proficient geek.

?. ???

taxi1

pilot

Beard or ponytail?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Welcome to the club! This way to select your “veteran” ball cap with appropriate ribbons. That said, I think you have to wait for 48 hours before you can say “Back in my day…”

Congrats!