• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We told you we were moderating this stuff. Take the partisan shit-flinging elsewhere. Make a coherent argument or go away; no one is DESTROYING political party X.

BigRed389

None
So, am I not correct? Healthy people do get protection from a non-N95 mask ( I specified non-N95 earlier, Pags) just like the guy peed on above. So why are we told it dosen't help the healthy from getting COVID? Not as effective as it is on sick guy, I get that. But ineffective or harmful?

Probably better to think of it from the perspective of managing knowns/unknowns.

N95 masks are supposed to STOP infection via the respiratory tract which is why it's part of a full PPE get up (to include face/eye shields) for medical staff. It's trusted to be enough protection that we don't isolate people who use it as part of a PPE ensemble despite known contact with infected persons.

Non-N95 mask provides protection by reducing the probability, though it doesn't fully stop spreading. If you are in close contact with an infected person, but you were just wearing a cotton mask and nothing else, the medical protocol will still require you to go into quarantine/isolation...that mask isn't enough assurance that your exposure won't cause you to become another carrier. And if there is a strategy around trying to manage the spread, you'd also have to run subsequent contact tracing anyway.

My guess is that messaging around it being ineffective is more targeted at preventing people from being stupid, and creating unsafe conditions with a false sense of security.
Even if you have a mask, you can still get infected by other pathways. On the other hand, sick people who are wearing masks...that shuts down the #1 pathway a sick person has to infect others.

boobcheese

Worth noting that not all N95s are not created equal. The ones that you buy at the hardware store usually have a one-way valve that bypasses the filtration when you exhale. This makes them much more comfortable to wear but does little to protect those around you if you happen to be infected. Medical grade N95s don't have the one-way valve and provide a much higher level of protection than cloth masks in both directions.

The public helath order for my locality specifically excludes masks with one-way valves as being an acceptable face covering:

"Note that any mask that incorporates a one-way valve (typically a raised plastic cylinder about the size of a quarter on the front or side of the mask) that is designed to facilitate easy exhaling is not a Face Covering under this Order and is not to be used to comply with this Order’s requirements. Valves of that type permit droplet release from the mask and can put others nearby at risk."

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The public helath order for my locality specifically excludes masks with one-way valves as being an acceptable face covering
Meanwhile, idiot authority figures are telling people to just cut up t-shirts and wear them as a mask. And a nonzero number of people I see in public (grocery stores, carryout food) position the mask lower on their face so that their nose is completely uncovered.

SlickAg

pilot
Sorry not sorry about that whole lockdown thing that made you lose your job.

And now we might run out of money to pay you unemployment because we don’t have enough money to pay unemployment for everyone who lost their jobs when we told everyone to stay at home.

Oh by the way if you are lucky to get a new job we’re going to go ahead and raise your taxes because we depleted our coffers because we told everyone to stay home even if it meant losing your job.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Sorry not sorry about that whole lockdown thing that made you lose your job.

And now we might run out of money to pay you unemployment because we don’t have enough money to pay unemployment for everyone who lost their jobs when we told everyone to stay at home.

Oh by the way if you are lucky to get a new job we’re going to go ahead and raise your taxes because we depleted our coffers because we told everyone to stay home even if it meant losing your job.

Two more weeks

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Two more weeks

I wish! Personally I don't think it will play that way.

What I do wish for is a federal stimulus package/policy that isn't simply corporate cronyism. I think protecting small businesses and corporations is old revisionist thinking of Regan era economics. Give low/mid-income people a wad of cash directly and THEY WILL SPEND IT.

Small businesses don't need fiscal stimulus, they simply need demand to come back. Give every US household that makes <$65K, cash from the federal government, a $30 grand check, with DT's name on it - I think things will start getting back to normal sooner and airlines will flourish.

Protect people, not companies.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Hey @Treetop Flyer , do you want to explain the two week joke...?
Sure thing. We were sold a bill of goods that we needed to shelter in place to flatten the curve. Now it’s been over two months. And in some places it’s being extended even though the stated purpose of avoiding overwhelming hospital capacity has been achieved.

And of course the goal was never to eradicate the virus. The goal was to prolong and slow the spread. So we have destroyed the economy and we still will get the virus at some point, which is overwhelmingly mild for everyone but the oldest and sickest in our society.

But we need to lock down. For two more weeks. Again.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There are 100+ mm households in the US with income < $65K per year. I think we should give each of those households a US Government check for $30,000 - now. No conditions.
WTF? $30 trillion dollars to (1,000,000 x $30,000) would financially ruin the country and is idiotic. It's also vastly unfair to those making more than $65,000 who will have to foot this bill in higher taxes. Why does someone who makes $70,000 not need at least $25,000 in free government money. Plus s that $65,000 currently earning or earned in tax year 2019? I know plenty of guys who earned $65,000 in tax year 2019 that are now making less if not $0.

The solution is to open the country back up. It's that plain and simple.

The country has had about 80,500 COVID deaths. The Dept. of Health and Human Services says the social isolation due to the lock down may cause up to 150,000 extra deaths due to drugs, alcohol and suicide.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...de-alcohol-drug-death-predictions/3081706001/

Hospitals and doctors say the number of emergency room cases and deaths for heart attacks, strokes, infections and other deadly medical conditions has dropped off dramatically. They also say these things just don't disappear so obviously they are still dying from these causes but they are dying at home instead of the ER. Which further means the number of deaths from these causes are going up dramatically as the many are saved from death only due to timely medical intervention by paramedics and ERs.

There have been more "extra" deaths due to the lock down and isolation than due to COVID-19. To say nothing of the financial disaster this lock down has brought to the people, cities, states and federal government. We are in an economic collapse and continued lock down will add years to the recovery.

When is enough enough? We are killing 3 to save 1. We are ruining the economy and peoples lives. It is insanity.

So yes, there is a price on human life. We have exceeded that price. We wouldn't think twice about losing lives in a war to preserve our country, freedoms and way of life, This is a war for those very things. It has a cost.

Last edited: