• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Treetop Flyer

pilot

We indeed saw a steady stream of patients but never "surged." At peak in mid-April, COVID-19 patients occupied 2% of our 5,500 hospital beds and 48 of our 750 ventilators. Subsequently, admissions have been decreasing with very few patients now coming from the community, almost all now being from nursing homes.

Our outcomes are similar to the state of Pennsylvania, where the median age of death from COVID-19 is 84 years old. The few younger patients who died all had significant preexisting conditions. Very few children were infected and none died. Minorities in our communities fared equally as well as others, but we know that this is not the case nationally. In sum, this is a disease of the elderly, sick and poor.

In this particular case, the problem we're not going to be able to fix in the short term is the complete eradication of the virus. The problem we can fix is to serve and protect our seniors, especially those in nursing homes. If we do that, we can reopen society, and though infectious cases may rise as in the Theodore Roosevelt, the death rate will not, providing time for the development of treatments and vaccines.

johnboyA6E

None
here in Mass, golf courses have been shutdown since mid March. All the surrounding states, and something like 47 state nationally are allowing golf.

increasingly, people have been complaining and defining very specific protocols that can provide saftey, and the governor has basically said FU.

so, one course owner said "fuck this, we're opening". they've been in the news and have been very bold about defying the order, and the governor when asked said "I hope and expect that nobody will be breaking the law". so the course owner says "fuck this", we're opening on Friday, and started booking tee times.

as of last night, on the local news, the governor said "no golf".

then, miraculously, on the radio at 6am, i heard, "all golf courses in Mass are allowed to open beginning today, Thursday".

i love a little civil disobedience. the course owner had some balls to play chicken with the governor, and looks like the gov flinched

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could one of you smart science guys explain something to me. The latest on masks is they are encouraged to prevent the spread of the virus by the mask wearer. This being because the virus is borne on saliva or mucus, even microscopic, and will be abated by a simple cloth mask (non-N95). But, so the guidance goes, a non-N95 mask will not prevent the wearer from getting the virus. How is it that a mask worn directly over the mouth and nose will stop coughed, sneezed or respirated virus from infecting another, but the same mask will not prevent the virus from passing through and infecting a person some distance away? Either is stops the saliva and mucus borne virus or not. What am I missing?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Lose your way or are you too lazy to post this in a thread where it is germane?

I must have lost my way. Before, there was one Thunderdome. Now there’s the Thunderdome Sequel, not a Thunderdome Sequel...it was so simple before the mods here fucked it away.

Anyway, I think it’s relevant right where it is. Joe needs to practice social distancing here.

Last edited:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Could one of you smart science guys explain something to me. The latest on masks is they are encouraged to prevent the spread of the virus by the mask wearer. This being because the virus is borne on saliva or mucus, even microscopic, and will be abated by a simple cloth mask (non-N95). But, so the guidance goes, a non-N95 mask will not prevent the wearer from getting the virus. How is it that a mask worn directly over the mouth and nose will stop coughed, sneezed or respirated virus from infecting another, but the same mask will not prevent the virus from passing through and infecting a person some distance away? Either is stops the saliva and mucus borne virus or not. What am I missing?

Decreased splash zone radius, and the appearance of “doing something” with the added benefit of giving all the Chiefs and Karens of the world to bitch at...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Decreased splash zone radius, and the appearance of “doing something” with the added benefit of giving all the Chiefs and Karens of the world to bitch at...
So, conversely, if I wear a mask I can get closer, say three feet from someone who is positive and it won't penetrate my mask? How does the mask know to be effective only if worn on an infected person?