• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

D

Deleted member 24525

So, conversely, if I wear a mask I can get closer, say three feet from someone who is positive and it won't penetrate my mask? How does the mask know to be effective only if worn on an infected person?

the virus is passed through "respiratory droplets" so its about limiting the range. The virus can spread through the mask and be transmitted through the masks, but it limits the range of transmission. Knowingly Infected people should not be thinking "I am good! I will wear a mask" they should be staying home.

And it CAN and DOES penetrate the mask it just limits the range.. like putting a sock over a garden hose.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the virus is passed through "respiratory droplets" so its about limiting the range. The virus can spread through the mask and be transmitted through the masks, but it limits the range of transmission. Knowingly Infected people should not be thinking "I am good! I will wear a mask" they should be staying home.

And it CAN and DOES penetrate the mask it just limits the range.. like putting a sock over a garden hose.
So the reverse should be true. If not infected, wearing a mask DOES inhibit transfer of droplets, thereby benefiting the uninfected by some measure.

D

Deleted member 24525

So the reverse should be true. If not infected, wearing a mask DOES inhibit transfer of droplets, thereby benefiting the uninfected by some measure.
Possibly, but not as effectively as if the infected is the one wearing the mask.
If you're not wearing a mask and you sneeze or cough on me, a mask won’t really won’t help me.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Possibly, but not as effectively as if the infected is the one wearing the mask.
If you're not wearing a mask and you sneeze or cough on me, a mask won’t really won’t help me.
But why? Mask inhibits outgoing virus, but not incoming? I'd think that since it has dispersed since the cough or sneeze over 2-6 feet, a mask on the receiver would be more effective than the mask on the guy who unloaded a nose full of virus direct into his mask at muzzle velocity.

D

Deleted member 24525

But why? Mask inhibits outgoing virus, but not incoming? I'd think that since it has dispersed since the cough or sneeze over 2-6 feet, a mask on the receiver would be more effective than the mask on the guy who unloaded a nose full of virus direct into his mask at muzzle velocity.

the mask doesn’t inhibit the virus.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's an imperfect analogy but it gets the point across:
EW4AXgbWsAEAovl.jpeg

An N95 is for people working with known infected cases. A cotton mask over everyone helps limit the splash zone. Couple with people keeping their distance it helps to prevent transmission.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the mask doesn’t inhibit the virus.
OK. I know that. Poor choice of words. Work with me here. I am pretty sure you know my question. The mask inhibits the spread because it is carried on large enough droplets to be abated by the mask material. Why only effective outgoing from the sicko and not incoming if worn by a healthy person? Am I the only guy not understanding this? Reminds me of the joke about thermos bottles. Keeps the hot stuff hot and the cold stuff cold. How does it know?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's an imperfect analogy but it gets the point across:
View attachment 25637

An N95 is for people working with known infected cases. A cotton mask over everyone helps limit the splash zone. Couple with people keeping their distance it helps to prevent transmission.
So, am I not correct? Healthy people do get protection from a non-N95 mask ( I specified non-N95 earlier, Pags) just like the guy peed on above. So why are we told it dosen't help the healthy from getting COVID? Not as effective as it is on sick guy, I get that. But ineffective or harmful?

D

Deleted member 24525

So, am I not correct? Healthy people do get protection from a non-N95 mask ( I specified non-N95 earlier, Pags) just like the guy peed on above. So why are we told it dosen't help the healthy from getting COVID? Not as effective as it is on sick guy, I get that. But ineffective or harmful?
They are more effective if a sick person is wearing one.
The idea is that you don’t know you’re sick so wear a mask so as not to spread it to others.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My understanding is that a cotton mask does provide some protection to both the wearer and the everyone else.

First, let's bound the problem. On one side is no mask which offers no additional protection above normal luck. On the other side is your outbreak space suit thing people wear in high risk labs or MOPP level 4 that provides full protection.

The other piece is how the virus works. My understanding (internet deep) is that it needs to get in to your mucus membranes such as your nose or eyes, upper nose being the preferred path. If someone coughs on your back and no where else and you should be fine. If someone sneezes up your nose that's bad. The virus can fly around on sneeze and cough droplets that have a WEZ of under 6' (hence social distance guidelines). There's some data from hospitals that says it may be able to float around in the air for awhile, no idea how long it can float around at nose level at the grocery store.

So, what this means is you need to prevent the virus from getting in to your upper nose. So even if you didn't have a mask and someone sick sneezed there's a chance that none of the droplets make it far enough up your nose to get you sick (nose hairs work as designed). So now you put double thick cotton masks on everyone. First off, if a sick person sneezes it now goes in to the mask. The two layers of cotton will absorb some of the droplets. Then, the droplets (fewer than a non masked sneeze) that are out in the air will land on your mask and not up your nose. Now your mask will stop some of these droplets. I'd imagine distance from the sneezer matters. If you're 2" away the drops may still have enough velocity to get through the cotton. If you're farther away, say 6', then the droplets aren't moving fast and theyll be less likely to get through your mask. So now that the sneezer had a mask, you were far apart, and you had a mask, the amount of drops that could get to your nose are far less than before. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing and it reduces your risk. In addition, masks also stop you from touching your face. Without a mask someone could sneeze on your hand and then you rub your nose and you're now exposed. With a mask, someone could still sneeze on your hand but then when you go to wipe your nose you hit your mask. So again, not perfect, but still some degree of protection.

Or, to keep up the pee analogy, you don't want pee in your mouth. Some weirdo is running around with no pants peeing. So, you stay 6' away to stay out of the stream and the splash zone. But, sometimes you can't stay 6' away so you wear a mask. That way, if some pee gets on your hand it won't get in your mouth. Or, if the pee splashes on your mask hopefully the mask gets wet but none goes in your throat. By wearing a mask you've reduced your chances of getting pee in your mouth.

Thus concludes your PI libo brief. Also, wrap your tool.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[deleted]

[deleted]

I don't know what being a grown man has to do with it, but keep it out of this thread. You have plenty of places to fight over red hats and the age at which wearing one becomes unforgivable. Please, can there not be a few threads with out political sniping? There has been plenty of debate here about how this pandemic has been handled and how the virus could be treated. You want debate keep it relatively on topic. You want to throw political bombs go elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: