• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

GroundPounder

I think so? We've come close with polio and measles. For a lot of the other ones (MMR) even if we haven't eradicated them they've been heavily mitigated by immunizations to the extent they're no longer seen as issues.

That's my point. If the bar is eradication of the virus, we are sunk. In reality, polio and MMR in the US, they are very to relatively rare. My personal opinion is that emotions are driving policy and unrealistic expectations are being formed.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's my point. If the bar is eradication of the virus, we are sunk. In reality, polio and MMR in the US, they are very to relatively rare. My personal opinion is that emotions are driving policy and unrealistic expectations are being formed.
Eradicate is a strong word and it has a specific technical definition. Those other examples are "eliminated" either worldwide or at least in certain regions. There's probably another term that comes before elimination, and so on...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, I don't think "eradicate" will happen for some time and I don't think anyone's goal is a formal smallpox type eradication in the near term.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...That said, you don't need an N95 for the grocery store. Those are for people who have close and routine exposure (test sites, hospitals, etc).
Well now just one minute. If N95s work both ways, as in they also mitigate catching the virus versus just the spread as with common masks, I should think they could be vital for high risk individuals who are forced out of their homes for groceries, etc. Maybe there should be distribution process for issuing N95 masks to everyone at high risk. That would be in keeping with the goal to open up the economy and putting the emphasis on protecting the vulnerable versus locking down all the healthy people who can weather a virus infection with very little chance of death.

Jim123

pilot
I've got a short stack of hardware store N95 masks that have been collecting dust in my garage for ten years. I might be willing to let them go for $20 a pop. Of course, they say N95 right there on the front and in big ass font, which means Karen will harass you about it at the grocery store.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well now just one minute. If N95s work both ways, as in they also mitigate catching the virus versus just the spread as with common masks, I should think they could be vital for high risk individuals who are forced out of their homes for groceries, etc. Maybe there should be distribution process for issuing N95 masks to everyone at high risk. That would be in keeping with the goal to open up the economy and putting the emphasis on protecting the vulnerable versus locking down all the healthy people who can weather a virus infection with very little chance of death.
My understanding:
-homemade masks do prevent people from both catching and spreading.
-N95s supply was VERY limited due to worldwide need and increased demand
-N95s were needed by medical folks due to close exposure.
-Currently, in most areas, high risk people should be staying at home and minimizing exposure. If I was high risk I'd probably be asking other folks to do my grocery shopping, etc.
-As N95 production ramps up and there's enough for others then I'd agree that having higher risk folks wear them (or something like them) would seem to be a direction we could go.

However, as others have said, to be effective it will need to fitted and the protocol for how/when to take off a mask will need to be adhered to. For instance, if you work in a higher risk lab, you were supposed to throw out your respirator after every use. There's no on, off, back on. If you took one off it was supposed to go in the trash sort of like a band aid. That's why developing a way to clean/reuse was important to address supply issues.

I think as we come out of the "crisis response" mode we can hopefully switch over to "thoughtful response" and come up with plans that will allow some form of normal life to resume. I don't think it won't be immediately back to normal, most people are going to want to take baby steps back in to the pool of life.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Good. We need people push back against this nonsense in most cases

Not sure having anti-vaxxers on the side of ending lockdowns is a good thing. Particularly when their core issue is "Ignore the experts! Don't vaccinate!"

The other thing I'm scratching my head over is people arming themselves and going to protests. The lockdowns don't really have anything to do with 2A rights, but in the minds of the 2A platform, everything is a threat to their right to keep and bear arms. Put another way, carrying guns to an anti-lockdown protest, although legal in many jurisdictions, is an emotional decision, not a practical one. Dragging guns into lockdown protests is a recipe for disaster that isn't likely to further the cause for either issue...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not sure having anti-vaxxers on the side of ending lockdowns is a good thing. Particularly when their core issue is "Ignore the experts! Don't vaccinate!"

The other thing I'm scratching my head over is people arming themselves and going to protests. The lockdowns don't really have anything to do with 2A rights, but in the minds of the 2A platform, everything is a threat to their right to keep and bear arms. Put another way, carrying guns to an anti-lockdown protest, although legal in many jurisdictions, is an emotional decision, not a practical one. Dragging guns into lockdown protests is a recipe for disaster that isn't likely to further the cause for either issue...
Anti vaxxers are morons for the most part. I’m just glad to see more push back. Most of the guys I’ve seen toting their black rifles to protest look like mall ninja losers that got dropped off by their mom. I agree that it doesn’t help and is a distraction but if they want to carry a gun, that’s their decision.

Jim123

pilot

Elon Musk says he’s ignoring the county order to shutdown and is restarting production at his Tesla factory
An anonymous California official, when quoted:

Grace.gif

Hair Warrior

Contributor