• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the reasons people are so fearful of the vaccine is the way the media and government has characterized the virus. It has been pointed out in these pages before many times. No need for detail. But if your consumption of news led you to believe the virus was more deadly and chances of infection far greater than it was, the thought of injecting yourself with the "virus" would be frightening.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Well, as has also been stated here, it’s not a dead virus you’re getting injected with - it’s an mRNA signal, which is entirely different and novel.

I think the people who are scared of the virus are people who want the vaccine as soon as possible.

taxi1

pilot
Got my second shot Saturday morning, and was warned by others who got it that I’d be mewing like a kitten the next day. Woke up Sunday top of the morning to you, and may have even bragged a bit about my resilient immune system.

By the end of the day was getting a little tuckered, and last night was aching and switching back and forth between shivering and sweating. Puts those 50 yellow fever shots I got in the reserves to shame.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Well, as has also been stated here, it’s not a dead virus you’re getting injected with - it’s an mRNA signal, which is entirely different and novel.

I think the people who are scared of the virus are people who want the vaccine as soon as possible.

This

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Its hardly surprising that the Navy wants it's sailors to get vaccinated. So?
I remember being told at some point that it - being vaccinated or not - wouldn’t affect privileges or leave, and definitely wouldn’t affect anything while the vaccine was still pending final FDA approval.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be surprised if the military didn't eventually make the vaccine mandatory since there are so many mandatory already.

taxi1

pilot
This kind of annoys me, but it's also probably right.

This disease is transmitted most by people who aren't going to die from it, so they aren't scared. But to reach herd immunity soonest with the fewest total vaccinations required, they are the ones that need to be vaccinated, not the ones that are at the ends of the transmission chain.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I can remember last March, when we were all told to stay home and quarantine for 2-weeks. The media (traditional and social outlets) constantly pounding fear into our brains of what could happen if we leave our house. We didn't leave the house, except to get groceries (and then my wife would wipe everything down before bringing it in the house). Now look at us, almost a year later and we don't give a crap.

We will learn to live with this virus just like we do every other virus.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
This kind of annoys me, but it's also probably right.

This disease is transmitted most by people who aren't going to die from it, so they aren't scared. But to reach herd immunity soonest with the fewest total vaccinations required, they are the ones that need to be vaccinated, not the ones that are at the ends of the transmission chain.
Young people are also the most likely to have already been exposed to the virus. Eventually they should get their turn but early on it’s idiotic to vaccinate people not at risk while elderly people wait. The goal should be (and is except for the Navy) to reduce deaths and hospitalizations.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I am, thank you.

Yesterday the entire country of Japan had 95 deaths, and just your less densely populated state of Texas has 348.

But otherwise their policies are identical to ours?

They aren't.

Pretty sure a sailor buying a motorcycle won't lead to the nursing home down the street losing half of their residents to motorcycle accidents.

That's the thing with this disease. The people who spread it and keep it bubbling in the community aren't the ones who die from it.

The new, more contagious variant is in our country, particularly in Florida. The doubling rate for it (@SlickAg, that means it actually has exponential growth) is about every 9 days in FL, although I am betting that in Tampa we'll see a big surge, and lots of people bringing home from the Super Bowl.

Let’s check back ten days after the SuperspreaderBowl and the continuing unmitigated exponential spread of new variants of scaryvirus. How bad has it gotten?

Things are looking horrible in Florida between the irresponsible SuperBowl boat parade and super-mutant strains: