• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

D

Deleted member 24525

I’m clearly no Trump supporter… But I think that this is a no-win situation for him..and it would be for any President.

all of us have rightful concerns over our health, and our jobs..and all of us think we know the right answer, but I don’t know that there is one.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@RobLyman Well said, to a point. The economy is people. The health of the economy determines, in large part, public health as well. Where we are going will lead to more suicide, malnutrition, crime, poverty, lack of opportunity, mental health problems, bankruptcy business and personal, and much more. Just saying. Look beyond the body count to balance the cost.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Here's a thoughtful piece in the NYT this morning. It has a lot of what I am already thinking and it has a good discussion of what to do next, a couple of alternatives, what all of this is supposed to look like in a few months from now, or in a year, or...

Spoiler alert: the author is an epidemiologist from Hong Kong. The reader comments are (shockingly) good too.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think this is what came across as giddy. I tend to agree.

On a slightly different note, I am disheartened by the ease at which some on this forum dismiss the value of lives in favor of the economy. Who are we, when it is all said and done, is more important than what we own. Those who serve this country will do well to remember what it is about this country worth serving. Hint: It's not the economy...I hope.
The area under the curve (which represents the total sick and dead people when all this is over) doesn't change among all these 'flatten the curve' models.

And hospitals in many areas are starting to furlough/layoff/cut salaries, so a more targeted approach of increasing urgent care capacity in some key areas might have been more appropriate.

If swine flu is any indication, we won't even have the worst outbreak until fall when the next flu season starts.

Jim123

pilot
And hospitals in many areas are starting to furlough/layoff/cut salaries, so a more targeted approach of increasing urgent care capacity in some key areas might have been more appropriate.
Some of that is people canceling more routine, planned hospital visits.

There is a weird and unintended effect, when everybody stays at home then some of the other acute health issues requiring hospitalization seem to drop off.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is a weird and unintended effect, when everybody stays at home then some of the other acute health issues requiring hospitalization seem to drop off.
Yea but the major reason for shutting down the economy was the claim that hospitals would be so overloaded with COVID-19 patients that people would be dying while waiting for medical treatment.

Now here they are laying off healthcare professionals on the dawn of the worst projected weeks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of that is people canceling more routine, planned hospital visits.

Then why don't those workers go to the affected areas where I see nurses crying on TV about how horrible it is. Why aren't those hospitals, lacking lessor and elective surgeries filling up with COVID related cases, or even filling with the heart attacks, strokes, burns, gunshot wounds etc transferred from the over run COVID epicenter hospitals. Have all the accident, cancer, maternity cases requiring hospitalization at the "epicenter" hospitals so over run just drying up? Why are they not filling other hospitals?

I am sure that like is so often the case, as we have seen covered in excess wrt masks and ventilators, it is not an absolute sacristy. It is a matter of distribution. The media goes to the same two hospitals where they are working their asses off and make it look like that is the case all over NYC. They cover NYC and make it look like it is the case all over NY state. They tell us what has happened in New Orleans and NYC is coming to your city. No one on the nightly news is telling America why the vast majority of cases is in like two boroughs and affecting a handful of hospitals in the City.

Mos

None
Yea but the major reason for shutting down the economy was the claim that hospitals would be so overloaded with COVID-19 patients that people would be dying while waiting for medical treatment.

Now here they are laying off healthcare professionals on the dawn of the worst projected weeks.
Seems to me like the better of those two outcomes.

Jim123

pilot
^^^

@wink and @Spekkio , I agree with you guys.. And if our government response* is middle of the road compared to the other afflicted major countries, I shudder to think about the ones with a relatively crappy response.

I suppose the named agencies have to fuck something up big the first time before they get it right. FEMA is actually pretty decent at handling natural disasters now, but it took them a couple of tries first. So I guess we'll have a pretty solid pandemic response plan after this one.

It's sad that so much of our media is doing such mediocre reporting. Pandumbic indeed.

* I almost wrote national response but we're structured differently by giving the states so much authority.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why aren't those hospitals, lacking lessor and elective surgeries filling up with COVID related cases, or even filling with the heart attacks, strokes, burns, gunshot wounds etc transferred from the over run COVID epicenter hospitals. Have all the accident, cancer, maternity cases requiring hospitalization at the "epicenter" hospitals so over run just drying up? Why are they not filling other hospitals?
Another thing no one is talking about - healthcare professionals are not a homogeneous blob. Many specialize in a field. The plastic surgeon and nurses operating to save a burn victim are not the same people as the obgyn and nurses doing an emergency c-section, and none of the above are the people who would provide week long icu care to COVID-19 patients.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Another thing no one is talking about - healthcare professionals are not a homogeneous blob. Many specialize in a field. The plastic surgeon and nurses operating to save a burn victim are not the same people as the obgyn and nurses doing an emergency c-section, and none of the above are the people who would provide week long icu care to COVID-19 patients.
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner. It's too bad some of the people running the hospitals don't realize that. Let's just say that if you arrive at the hospital for COVID-19 care, you just might have the labor and delivery nurse, who has almost zero experience with a ventilator, taking care of you. And by YOU, I mean civilians AND any of you who might be going to a Naval Hospital. Unfortunately, administrators run hospitals.