• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
Is it OK to identify failures of the people in charge?
If Al Gore had been alive to invent the internet in 1941, I’m sure y’all would’ve been here screaming for FDR’s head on December 8th. Wheelchair man bad! Must be held accountable!

Even though he would have done a “better” job per his former advisor, why aren’t you also blaming the President’s predecessor?

“The same year a report on preparedness for swine flu from the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology warned then-President Barack Obama that “[c]ases requiring mechanical ventilation or intensive care could reach 10 to 25 per 100,000 population, requiring 50 to 100 percent or more of the total ICU capacity available in the United States and placing great stress on a system that normally operates at 80 percent of capacity.”

In 2013, an avian flu outbreak in China led to a reportfrom the National Institutes of Health on the demand for ventilators in the event of a flu pandemic.

“There is a clear challenge to plan and prepare to meet demands for mechanical ventilators for a future severe pandemic,” the report said, estimating that in a “high severity scenario,” the U.S. would need “approximately 35,000 to 60,500 additional ventilators.””

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Mods, move my posts to the Dome, per Treetop. Not trying to embarrass myself...would love to hear his non-partisan talk on how this has been managed and messaged well.

Taxi1, apparently the fault is with the gluttonous Govs and their insatiable appetite for PPE.

It looks to me that we are doing pretty well compared to much of Europe. And of course China (sarcasm)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think a certain level of political talk belongs on this thread, in the context of where the buck stops (a great president once said something with that phrase). But I'd just as well keep that side of things dry and impersonal on this thread.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
If Al Gore had been alive to invent the internet in 1941, I’m sure y’all would’ve been here screaming for FDR’s head on December 8th. Wheelchair man bad! Must be held accountable!

Even though he would have done a “better” job per his former advisor, why aren’t you also blaming the President’s predecessor?

“The same year a report on preparedness for swine flu from the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology warned then-President Barack Obama that “[c]ases requiring mechanical ventilation or intensive care could reach 10 to 25 per 100,000 population, requiring 50 to 100 percent or more of the total ICU capacity available in the United States and placing great stress on a system that normally operates at 80 percent of capacity.”

In 2013, an avian flu outbreak in China led to a reportfrom the National Institutes of Health on the demand for ventilators in the event of a flu pandemic.

“There is a clear challenge to plan and prepare to meet demands for mechanical ventilators for a future severe pandemic,” the report said, estimating that in a “high severity scenario,” the U.S. would need “approximately 35,000 to 60,500 additional ventilators.””

I guess Obama lucked out. However, I would hope a leader with access to the world's best intelligence would have a plan to respond to a potential pandemic that could devastate the nation's economy. Maybe as a global superpower we should not compare our capabilities/outcomes to Spain or Italy.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Please stop giving us false hope. Thanks.
I’d focus more on the two columns to the far right (on HIS post, not yours).
You know, I have been kind of annoyed that it's hard to find all these numbers represented as a percentage of population. I didn't notice until just after my post that this website does give you those numbers on the far right, as you also mentioned. And you can sort it from most to least. I think doing that AND using yesterday's numbers is probably the best. I initially agreed with you about the false hope, but now looking at it in the sorted view, @Treetop Flyer has a point. I still think that if we're going to do this lockdown we need to stop fucking about and do it right.

I'm kind of annoyed at my company on their communication during all of this. The CEO has been pretty quiet on the whole thing. And on their internal COVID19 page, the top of the page says they're providing every plane/crew with masks/gloves. At the bottom of the page they say the CDC recommends against using masks if you're healthy. Yesterday I had one FA using a mask/gloves and the other wasn't. And I haven't arrived to one plane that has a set of masks/gloves for the crew. It's all stuff people have sourced themselves. So which is it? @Jim123 am I nuts?

Anyways, here are the numbers. We need to take it seriously, but it's not the zombie apocalypse. Yet. But also, the numbers are somewhat inconclusive due to different testing rates in every country. So...who the fuck knows.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm kind of annoyed at my company on their communication during all of this. The CEO has been pretty quiet on the whole thing. And on their internal COVID19 page, the top of the page says they're providing every plane/crew with masks/gloves. At the bottom of the page they say the CDC recommends against using masks if you're healthy. Yesterday I had one FA using a mask/gloves and the other wasn't. And I haven't arrived to one plane that has a set of masks/gloves for the crew. It's all stuff people have sourced themselves. So which is it? @Jim123 am I nuts?
I dunno... I took the three months of leave and I've been watching the... chaos... from afar.

I think the top-down communication does need to be more frequent. Not necessarily every single day, but more frequent.

SlickAg

pilot
You know, I have been kind of annoyed that it's hard to find all these numbers represented as a percentage of population. I didn't notice until just after my post that this website does give you those numbers on the far right, as you also mentioned. And you can sort it from most to least. I think doing that AND using yesterday's numbers is probably the best. I initially agreed with you about the false hope, but now looking at it in the sorted view, @Treetop Flyer has a point. I still think that if we're going to do this lockdown we need to stop fucking about and do it right.

Anyways, here are the numbers. We need to take it seriously, but it's not the zombie apocalypse. Yet. But also, the numbers are somewhat inconclusive due to different testing rates in every country. So...who the fuck knows.
View attachment 24996

View attachment 24997
My false hope comment was a joke about CNN’s vitriol.