• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The amount of double-speak by national political leadership has been very frustrating. They spent the last year and a half on a media campaign to scare everyone into not doing anything, and as recently as last month paraded Dr. Fauci on TV to tell vaccinated people to wear two masks because of possible variants and that prior infection with COVID-19 doesn't actually build immunity.

Now that the CDC has done a complete 180 on those positions, a significant portion of businesses are afraid to actually follow suit because of the massive scare campaign on the news over the last year. These include big national chains like Home Depot, Target, and Stop and Shop.

On top of that, in some areas I think we have entered into discrimination territory with people who decide not to take the vaccine that will eventually require legislation or possibly a Supreme Court case to fix.

Last edited:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, @jackjack. Australia's a bunch of know-nothing COVID losers.

View attachment 30753

They are a fucking island nation. Why is this concept so hard to grasp? A national lockdown that does not include closed borders, closed down air travel, and putting people in jail for being out and about is both useless and costly. If you want to live in that kind of country, by all means immigrate to one. I don't want to live in a nation where the police power of the state decides who is essential and who is not.

Why do people keep trotting out comparisons to places that have drastic differences to our country like it's so simple that if we just did x like country y, we'd have the same result.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
They are a fucking island nation. Why is this concept so hard to grasp? A national lockdown that does not include closed borders, closed down air travel, and putting people in jail for being out and about is both useless and costly. If you want to live in that kind of country, by all means immigrate to one. I don't want to live in a nation where the police power of the state decides who is essential and who is not.

Why do people keep trotting out comparisons to places that have drastic differences to our country like it's so simple that if we just did x like country y, we'd have the same result.
That’s his shtick here. Using hindsight to claim foresight, just dropping nations that “did it right” as necessary as they wound up doing it wrong.

That and just generally acting like a branch covidian begging for authoritarianism to save us all from scaryvirus.

number9

Contributor
Australia also shut its interstate borders to prevent people traveling between states. And, in my home state of Western Australia, they shut down intrastate travel by slicing up the state into chunks and keeping people in specific areas.

(Western Australia is about 1,000,000 square miles in area; in comparison Texas is only about 260,000 square miles.)

jackjack

They are a fucking island nation. Why is this concept so hard to grasp? A national lockdown that does not include closed borders, closed down air travel, and putting people in jail for being out and about is both useless and costly. If you want to live in that kind of country, by all means immigrate to one. I don't want to live in a nation where the police power of the state who is essential and who is not.

The UK is an island and look at their rates per million, it's worse than the US. It's not that we are an island. FWIW, I agree that the US would have found it hard to do the same as some countries. Though with a bit of federal effort in the beginning. The US may not have been in the 20 worst countries out of 200.

When there are outbreaks from quarantine, there are lockdowns. My state did had a 6 day lockdown last Nov when we had a community case, some 6 months ago. Other states have also done and doing lockdowns as needed. There has been open interstate travel for some time for those not locked down and international travel between us and NZ. I'm unaware of 'jail for being out and about', but there are fines in some cases, when restrictions are in place. I haven't researched it, but for daily life of the average person. I have the impression from what I read, there are more restrictions in the US.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Australia also shut its interstate borders to prevent people traveling between states. And, in my home state of Western Australia, they shut down intrastate travel by slicing up the state into chunks and keeping people in specific areas.

(Western Australia is about 1,000,000 square miles in area; in comparison Texas is only about 260,000 square miles.)
Australia has become a police state. I’ve talked to plenty of Australians these last year who can’t go home (students at university in Hawaii). They offered to do and pay for the quarantine to
Go home but the government either refuses to let them or tells them if they do, they can’t leave again.

They all have friends who were at home that cant return to school. They’ve lost thousands and thousands of dollars in bills they have to pay in Hawaii (or wherever their school is located), lost jobs and basically lost the last year of their life as it’s been put on hold.

We have aa Australian pilot at my airline who couldn’t go home for his Mom’s illness, hospitalization and funeral.

Thousands of Australians have lost their job at Quantas alone. That’s just a drop in the bucket.

Despite your rah-rah Australian government COVID response here, Australians I’ve talked to think your government’s response is bullshit.

Now you government is talking about keeping your borders shut and the restrictions in place for another 18 months.

You’re living in a police state that has taken away your freedom and you seem to like it. That’s sad and disgusting.

You’ll respond to this but you need not bother. Anything you say defending what Australia has done is nothing but blathering bullshit not worth taking seriously other than as an example of government stupidity.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The UK is an island and look at their rates per million, it's worse than the US. It's not that we are an island. FWIW, I agree that the US would have found it hard to do the same as some countries. Though with a bit of federal effort in the beginning. The US may not have been in the 20 worst countries out of 200.

When there are outbreaks from quarantine, there are lockdowns. My state did had a 6 day lockdown last Nov when we had a community case, some 6 months ago. Other states have also done and doing lockdowns as needed. There has been open interstate travel for some time for those not locked down and international travel between us and NZ. I'm unaware of 'jail for being out and about', but there are fines in some cases, when restrictions are in place. I haven't researched it, but for daily life of the average person. I have the impression from what I read, there are more restrictions in the US.

You have no idea what you are talking about with respect to life in the USA. Also, your Stockholm syndrome is showing.

number9

Contributor
Australia has become a police state. I’ve talked to plenty of Australians these last year who can’t go home (students at university in Hawaii). They offered to do and pay for the quarantine to
Go home but the government either refuses to let them or tells them if they do, they can’t leave again.
I think you may have misinterpreted the point that I was trying to make. My point is this: Australia had a draconian lockdown approach which worked in limiting cases and deaths... and then the government completely dropped the ball on everything else. Their vaccine rollout has been (as far as I can tell) a joke, and the current government is taking absolutely no responsibility for it.

We have aa Australian pilot at my airline who couldn’t go home for his Mom’s illness, hospitalization and funeral.
My parents couldn't come to my graduation last year, I couldn't go see my parents for Christmas last year, I couldn't go to the funeral of one of their best friends this year. It is horrific.

Despite your rah-rah Australian government COVID response here, Australians I’ve talked to think your government’s response is bullshit.
I agree.

You’re living in a police state that has taken away your freedom and you seem to like it. That’s sad and disgusting.
I don't live in Australia; I live in the U.S.

You’ll respond to this but you need not bother. Anything you say defending what Australia has done is nothing but blathering bullshit not worth taking seriously other than as an example of government stupidity.
I'm not defending the government; I think the government's response has been disgraceful. I couldn't go see my parents for Christmas last year and I won't be able to go this year either because the border will still be shut.