• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
But herd immunity isn’t absolute. So how will you feel comfortable going grocery shopping without your mask on?
I'd be comfortable now, since I'm vaxxed. But I'm also not freaked out by wearing one. Team player.

taxi1

pilot
I'm just not a butt-hurt whiny ass bitch snowflake with bruised feelings about wearing them. They work, and work well.

Reactions: Mos

robav8r

None
Contributor
Here's an idea: Treat adults like adults, and tell us- objectively and in a quantifiable manner- what the recommended exit criteria for various measures are. Admit that the "zero risk" mindset is a pipe-dream, and provide a framework for people to make their own decisions (e.g. getting J&J despite known potential side effects). Work to inform and build trust, not consolidate fear and authoritarian power.
The libtards will never, ever, ever, EVER let this happen. They are the self-anointed royalty that will always remind us how wrong we are, and humbled we should be to serve under their reign. Just ask Winston & Julia, resistance is futile . . .

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Are you saying Fauci and the CDC director are wrong? You should always wear your mask(s) when in public settings. Are you a science denier?
The CDC puts out all sorts of guidance about all sorts of diseases and conditions. Before COVID-19, this advice would get summarily ignored, but with COVID-19, everything they say automatically becomes public health policy. Imagine if we forbid bars from selling men more than 2 drinks and women 1 drink based on CDC guidelines (and by the way, that pint of IPA or stout counts as two drinks). That would certainly cut down on DUIs and a myriad of alcohol related diseases.

Unfortunately, COVID-19 will never 'go away' because unlike things like alcohol, obesity, or tobacco use, the general public actually pays attention to what the CDC says on the topic. The CDC's recommendations are always going to be conservative because that's their job - minimize diseases.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
Pretty much ;)

We have two vaccines that provide essentially 100% protection against hospitalization and death. That's insanely good.

It also means every death between now and herd immunity is pretty much unnecessary and preventable.

Who wants to be the last person to croak in the pandemic?

Reminds me of the end of WW-I

Like hundreds of others along the Western Front, Trebuchon was killed in combat on the morning of Nov. 11 — after the pre-dawn agreement between the Allies and Germany but before the armistice took effect six hours later.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Being the last person to die in a pandemic or being the last person to die in a war are a good analogy but not for the reasons I think most people would consider-

At the moment each of those deaths happen, the historically-defined end of the calamity seems to be near but the future isn't yet written. That and these things don't always end with a clean break. Sometimes wars have temporary truces that are later broken and pandemics have future waves and flareups. I'd turn the question around and ask what it would be like to be the last person to die in the Korean War (probably hasn't happened yet) or the last person to die in an outbreak of bubonic plague (about 25 years go, according to the internet).

For the matter of WWI, what it would be like to be the first person to die after the Treaty of Versailles was broken?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It also means every death between now and herd immunity is pretty much unnecessary and preventable.

I disagree with this point. Deaths lag infections, and you can't vaccinate everyone instantly. Even in a world with 100% vaccine acceptance, the simple fact of logistics means some deaths are objectively not preventable, based on the time it takes to vaccinate the remaining 200M people (or whatever the current number is.) Not to mention the rest of the world. Even if an instant global "vaccine bomb" were magically possible, deaths would continue to occur based on infections that happened weeks ago.

That said, making poor risk decisions on both individual and institutional levels, politicizing the fight, and pushing false and/or contradictory information will increase the toll, and many of those deaths can be argued as preventable. Which is why I make it a point not to call people snowflakes or libtards or anything else. That kind of shit isn't helping.

Also agree with others' assertions that this will not be a clean break. It's not like ending a war or paying off a mortgage. Variants can and will continue to evolve, and the disease is endemic now. It'll gradually morph into something we just live with (like flu and the common cold), and slowly stop dominating the 24 hour fear news cycle.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
I disagree with this point. Deaths lag infections, and you can't vaccinate everyone instantly. Even in a world with 100% vaccine acceptance, the simple fact of logistics means some deaths are objectively not preventable, based on the time it takes to vaccinate the remaining 200M people (or whatever the current number is.)
Yeah, I left some nuance out.

But it would suck to die of it now, knowing that but for a visit to a free vaccine clinic and laying low for a couple of weeks, you'd probably just have a bad cold instead of maybe a tube down your throat.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, I left some nuance out.

But it would suck to die of it now, knowing that but for a visit to a free vaccine clinic and laying low for a couple of weeks, you'd probably just have a bad cold instead of maybe a tube down your throat.

It would suck to die of it regardless, but I see your point. But some people have chosen to risk just that. I'm hopeful more of the hesitant among us will choose to be vaccinated as this effort rolls along and the side effects are shown to be much milder and rarer than the disease itself.

The vaccines (all, but especially the mRNA vaccines) really ARE a miracle-level breakthrough. It's pretty impressive.