• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We have two vaccines that provide essentially 100% protection against hospitalization and death. That's insanely good.
I'm sure you're aware that neither vaccine has proven it gives immunity longer than than 6 months, right?

It's likely that immunity lasts longer, but the objective data to prove it is lacking.

taxi1

pilot
I'm sure you're aware that neither vaccine has proven it gives immunity longer than than 6 months, right?

It's likely that immunity lasts longer, but the objective data to prove it is lacking.
Yup, I expect to get a booster at some point in the Fall, tailored to the various variant du jours.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Sounds scary. Also you COULD still get it and spread it. Also you COULD still get it and die.

SlickAg

pilot
Everybody remember: this is only happening because masks actually do work and Texans are still wearing masks even though there’s no longer a statewide mandate, thereby proving that mask mandates don’t actually work because people will still voluntarily comply with mask mandates but people are just doing stuff outside in Texas because masks and mask mandates work except for variants because Michigan is doing bad but the UK is officially no longer in a pandemic because the British variant is very very bad but only when it’s in North America.

Trust the science (TM).

SlickAg

pilot
Anyone care to weigh in on these amazing scientific breakthroughs which seem to countermand our current "science" of six feet being some magic number of safety and the need to wear a mask at ALL times in public, whether indoors or outdoors? Fascinating how the science has started to change just all of a sudden and out of the blue...

What a novel idea (bold is mine).

"“We need scientific information conveyed to the public in a way that is not just fearmongering but is actually based in analysis,” Bazant said. After three rounds of heavy peer review, he said it’s the most review he’s ever been through, and that now that it’s published he hopes it will influence policy."

Unfortunately, looks like we'll have to knock down all walls and just have roofs to keep us out of the elements. I suppose we could do lean-tos as well. Or we just increase the social distancing requirement to 120 feet just to be safe.

"“I think it’s pretty common sense now that outdoor risk is really, really quite low,” Fauci said on ABC’s “This Week.” “If you are a vaccinated person, wearing a mask outdoors, obviously, the risk is minuscule.”"

SlickAg

pilot
If they have anxiety now, wait until they find out that Dr. Fauci has flip-flopped yet again and says it’s “common sense” that one need not wear a mask outdoors. Because the risk is minuscule, his words. This, combined with the knowledge that six feet of social distancing indoors is no longer safe according to science (TM) [see three posts above], will probably lead to a group of humans who just lock themselves in their homes forever and never, ever leave.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Sounds scary. Also you COULD still get it and spread it. Also you COULD still get it and die.
Eh, the implicit thing I was griping against is two-fold: first, that the information campaign for getting the vaccine has not been completely honest about the status of research for the vaccine's effectiveness. Telling people the truth that we don't know if the vaccine works longer than 6 months (but we think it will) and we really don't know if it's more or less effective than natural immunity (but we think it is) probably would result in fewer people electing to get vaccinated. Second, as a result of that dishonesty there are a substantial amount of people who will pass judgment on people who have had COVID and decided not to get the vaccine, claiming that the vaccine provides better long-term immunity... because that's what the CDC and Dr. Fauci are telling them when the current reinfection rate among millions of cases is almost zero percent. The government wants everyone to get vaccinated because from a public health policy perspective it's impossible to accurately subtract the population of people who have both had the disease and got vaccinated in the herd immunity count.

Last edited:

GroundPounder

This is why they just lowered in the mask age in Michigan to anyone over two years old.

Regardless of whatever deeply held Covidian belief system a person may have, anyone that thinks they are keeping a mask on a 2 year old has never had one.

I think years from now, we will be viewed just as these people are now. Maybe, kind of, sort of, on the right track, but not really.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
But that's a true statement about natural immunity too.
People have been infected with COVID-19 for over a year and a half. The data and information is there; we're just either choosing not to study it or choosing not to make the results part of public discussion.

When we're rolling out a vaccine in limited supply, it would make sense to prioritize people who have not previously been infected. We didn't do that; instead, we are doing the opposite and actively encouraging people who have been infected to get vaccinated by making claims that haven't been scientifically proven. We're also making policies where people who got vaccinated can attend public events, but people who have natural immunity have to get tested.

taxi1

pilot
People have been infected with COVID-19 for over a year and a half. The data and information is there
What does it say?
When we're rolling out a vaccine in limited supply
I think we're past the limited supply phase and into the "anyone who wants a shot can get one" phase. They're already reducing shot clinics in some states as demand lowers.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
People have been infected with COVID-19 for over a year and a half. The data and information is there; we're just either choosing not to study it or choosing not to make the results part of public discussion.

When we're rolling out a vaccine in limited supply, it would make sense to prioritize people who have not previously been infected. We didn't do that; instead, we are doing the opposite and actively encouraging people who have been infected to get vaccinated by making claims that haven't been scientifically proven.

A bit of devil's advocate here, but how does one "prove" previous COVID infection with the test sensitivity and specificity issues that have been brought up time and again? I'd say trying to discern who was previously infected with COVID-19 is a lot of time and effort that probably isn't all that helpful, because so many would fall through the cracks. I'd say it's better to roll out limited supply to high-risk groups, and then "carpet bomb" to increasingly broader groups, which is basically what we did.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A bit of devil's advocate here, but how does one "prove" previous COVID infection with the test sensitivity and specificity issues that have been brought up time and again? I'd say trying to discern who was previously infected with COVID-19 is a lot of time and effort that probably isn't all that helpful, because so many would fall through the cracks. I'd go so far as to say it's better to "carpet bomb" with vaccinations, which have been shown to work pretty effectively.
That's pretty much what I was saying - encouraging previously infected people to get vaccinated has less to do with immunology and more to do with getting rid of an impossible math problem.