• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

jackjack

Not sure what you think there is to "correct"....it's from BBC...a reputable news source.
By Australian standards, It has taken off in Victoria 700 a day. By US population comparison, it would be about 10,000 a day in your numbers. My last post referred to why.

While community spread is eradicated in most of Australia. Mostly because of closed borders and contact tracing. My State SA hasn't had a community case since April, some 4 months ago.

Currently there has been community leakage to New South Wales and 2 cases in Queensland. The three states have opened up to some travel. It's obviously makes it harder to contain.

SlickAg

pilot
You are right, that curve is stylized. I mentioned it when I said it is not a perfect analogy.

But the rate at which polling places will get absentee ballot requests will follow some curve. Encouraging people to ask for their ballot early will pull some of that peak earlier.

This is a stupid debate to get into. Of all the problems, I question why you felt this was important.
If it’s such a stupid debate...then why did you reply to his post?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I gave it some more thought. It’s even dumber than I originally thought.

- If extra ballots arrive at the last minute or slightly late, no one dies. In fact, the state’s secretary of state (typically in charge of elections) most likely has the authority to unilaterally accept the late ballots if they were mailed on time. Same way they can choose to let people still waiting in line at poll closing time still vote. Sec of States have the power to apply judgment and take circumstances into account. By the way, none of them want to be accused of denying suffrage wantonly.

- The above only matters if it’s a close race. If your ballot is late in the mail and you live in CA, it won’t be counted unless a down-ballot race is too close.

- Common misconception, POTUS and VPOTUS are not elected by votes. They are elected by electors of the electoral college. Losers typically concede on election night, so it is often a formality. But if a late ballot would actually matter in the sheer volume of votes, it can still be counted late, as electors do not assemble until December.

- The chart throws the USPS under the bus. Sure, they are an easy target of stereotypes. But if we are going to give others in public service the same ownership and benefit-of-doubt that we as a Navy want when we operate, then let’s let the Postal Service do their jobs. To the person who drew that “flatten the curve” chart and implied the USPS can’t keep up, you don’t think the Postal Service hasn’t already planned for that? Yeah, guess what, they have smart people too. They have leaders who can think ahead and adjust planning/ resources. The chart-drawer is assuming they’ll fail before it even happens. This ain’t their first election.

So yeah, I have a problem with the “flatten the absentee ballot curve” chart. No one’s gonna die. It’s a shit analogy. And, to the chart-drawer, throwing USPS or Sec States under the bus (before they deserve to be) and implying they can’t plan ahead is blue falcon material.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's the year 2020 and the wealthiest nation on the planet can't figure out how to do online voting.

Also, the DMV just now discovered the concept of appointments.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Online voting is easy. Protecting it against fraud not so much.

Voting is too important not t have 100% verification of both identity and eligibility.
This is how I vote in person: I stand in line for an hour until I can get into the local elementary school gym. I sign next to my name (no ID required - that's racist for some reason). I walk into a booth, pull some mechanical levers, then a gigantic lever to 'register' my choices. Then someone has to physically count my choices after 9pm and not screw it up.

How did I get on the list? Mailed in a form when I turned 18, then another when I turned 25 to change address. No where in this process was I required to produce any documents to show I was an eligible voter (birthday, citizenship, background check, or proof of address).

If banks and investment companies can come up with secure ways to store millions of dollars, we can come up with a way to do secure online voting that's at least as accurate as what we do in person.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except all those procedures are State. It isn't a federally run election. No federal mandated procedures. Some state might be able to afford online elections, others not. Offer fed money to help, fine. Some states simply will not be comfortable with it. Feds can't make them go online. And what about fairness and institutional racism. Mandatory ID is said to be unfair because some unknown number of people do not have ID but somehow cash payroll or social security checks. I suspect many more do not have computers or wifi or know how to go online and provide proper multi function authentication at the local library. Or will we just chalk that up to hypocrisy and move on?

Banks have money illegally stolen via online all the time. The feds have lost millions of people's personal info and had huge breaches of Intel agencies. Most vulnerable node will be the PC, voter, and that internet connection. People are more careful with their money and online banking or atm credentials then they will ever be about voting.

Here is my take. If good citizenship requires some investment in time or effort, so be it. Means you are serious about your vote and results in skin in the game. Easy votes are more likely to be thoughtless and unserious.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Dallas County, TX. The left is the reported cases that showed how scary the spike was. The right is corrected by the day tested, not received. There was no giant spike requiring a second shutdown. Thankfully the governor stripped our idiot city and county officials of their authority to lock down again.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Except all those procedures are State. It isn't a federally run election. No federal mandated procedures. Some state might be able to afford online elections, others not. Offer fed money to help, fine. Some states simply will not be comfortable with it. Feds can't make them go online. And what about fairness and institutional racism. Mandatory ID is said to be unfair because some unknown number of people do not have ID but somehow cash payroll or social security checks. I suspect many more do not have computers or wifi or know how to go online and provide proper multi function authentication at the local library. Or will we just chalk that up to hypocrisy and move on?

Banks have money illegally stolen via online all the time. The feds have lost millions of people's personal info and had huge breaches of Intel agencies. Most vulnerable node will be the PC, voter, and that internet connection. People are more careful with their money and online banking or atm credentials then they will ever be about voting.

Here is my take. If good citizenship requires some investment in time or effort, so be it. Means you are serious about your vote and results in skin in the game. Easy votes are more likely to be thoughtless and unserious.

I personally agree that online could be very fraught with danger. But on the subject of absentee voting (or mail in depending on who you ask), many of us have done it for our entire mil careers. This is all getting very politicized, but the fact is that we have been doing this in smaller numbers for a long time. Not speaking to an "online vote" here, just the other option. And on your last note, yes, I would go in person if that is what it took. But I don't think that my comfort level should be imposed on all eligible voters if there is another proven way, which there is.

taxi1

pilot
Have flare-ups caused daycares to close?
Not sure the status in my area. I know a lot of daycares had chosen to close, based on Zoom calls with female employees that show kids running around in the background. But because so many essential workers are single parent households, the daycares themselves are essential services too.

I guarantee every school district in the country is staring at this case study and thinking WTF are we going to do...

Some 260 campers and staff tested positive out of 344 test results available. Among those ages 6-10, 51 percent got the virus; from 11-17 years old, 44 percent, and 18-21 years old, 33 percent. The campers did a lot of singing and shouting; did not wear face masks; windows were not opened for ventilation, although other precautions were taken. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that the virus “spread efficiently in a youth-centric overnight setting, resulting in high attack rates among persons in all age groups,” many showing no symptoms.

I continued my informal survey while hitting the local Rutters (quickmart) after a MTBike ride. About half of the people were sans masks. I asked the young lady at the counter to estimate the number that wear masks. She said about 60-70% and said that a lot of people just don't care. Saw similar numbers at the grocery store.

Whether or not we have a train wreck of virus spreading, students doing on-line, or pulling this off safely is pretty much in the hands of the community. I continue to see a lack of seriousness in prepping for the Fall.

exNavyOffRec

Not sure the status in my area. I know a lot of daycares had chosen to close, based on Zoom calls with female employees that show kids running around in the background. But because so many essential workers are single parent households, the daycares themselves are essential services too.

I guarantee every school district in the country is staring at this case study and thinking WTF are we going to do...

Some 260 campers and staff tested positive out of 344 test results available. Among those ages 6-10, 51 percent got the virus; from 11-17 years old, 44 percent, and 18-21 years old, 33 percent. The campers did a lot of singing and shouting; did not wear face masks; windows were not opened for ventilation, although other precautions were taken. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that the virus “spread efficiently in a youth-centric overnight setting, resulting in high attack rates among persons in all age groups,” many showing no symptoms.

I continued my informal survey while hitting the local Rutters (quickmart) after a MTBike ride. About half of the people were sans masks. I asked the young lady at the counter to estimate the number that wear masks. She said about 60-70% and said that a lot of people just don't care. Saw similar numbers at the grocery store.

Whether or not we have a train wreck of virus spreading, students doing on-line, or pulling this off safely is pretty much in the hands of the community. I continue to see a lack of seriousness in prepping for the Fall.

Where I am at the daycare is open and I tend to speak more of the commercial daycare rather than the lady down the street who is a daycare that watches 4 kids, so far not heard anything of issues.

The daycare thing is going to be more in the spotlight as I have a few friends that on their recent job search that were WFH positions part of the job description was something to the effect of "has a location at the residence that will allow for 8 hours of uninterrupted work from other household members, pets, and any other non-work related disturbances".