• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
For Team Apocalypse (@taxi1 and @PhrogLoop), what exactly is your alternative?

Should we just keep schools closed for something that poses less risk to the students than driving to school? When influenza is more deadly? The CDC just said the Fatality Rate for kids is .1/100,000. Literally one in a

Should we as a nation continue to swan dive into the depths of economic despair?

I mean, one of you said that the only thing more scary than this virus is people not taking it seriously...yet you went to a garage sale? If it’s that scary to you how do you even justify that risk to yourself?

[/URL]

View attachment 26982
Yes. The garage sale was outside, everyone wore masks and stayed socially distant, nobody endangered anyone else. I didn’t see anyone there not taking COVID-19 seriously.

taxi1

pilot
For Team Apocalypse...
I’m on Team Open, which means team suppress community spread. What team our you on? Team Lie Back and Enjoy the Virus?

Regardless of yours or my opinions on the science of the virus, if an area has big community spread, the schools are going to shut down. That’s pretty much policy for all 50 states, like it or not. Act accordingly, based on whether you want schools to actually open and stay open or not.

SlickAg

pilot
I’m on Team Open, which means team suppress community spread. What team our you on? Team Lie Back and Enjoy the Virus?

Regardless of yours or my opinions on the science of the virus, if an area has big community spread, the schools are going to shut down. That’s pretty much policy for all 50 states, like it or not. Act accordingly, based on whether you want schools to actually open and stay open or not.
Sounds like your community is hoping the school stays closed, based off of your wife’s Wal-Mart experiences. Strange for a town literally named after the school.

taxi1

pilot
Sounds like your community is hoping the school stays closed...
You think they’re not wearing masks or distancing so schools stay closed?

Here’s the paradox. In fact a lot of the most argumentative “open the schools up” folks are also “it’s all a hoax” folks who don’t believe we need to do anything to control it. But that behavior is going to result in new outbreaks and then the schools closing. It’s hard to watch, frankly, but here it comes.

SlickAg

pilot
Did you forget what you literally just wrote? I’ll remind you (bold’s mine):

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A school district in my large metro area is not opening to in person classes. Said it was unsafe. Did not have resources to provide a safe environment. BUT, if that is a problem for families, for $160 a week per child the same school district will take kids into the schools for child care ?.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
A school district in my large metro area is not opening to in person classes. Said it was unsafe. Did not have resources to provide a safe environment. BUT, if that is a problem for families, for $160 a week per child the same school district will take kids into the schools for child care ?.
How does that even remotely make sense?

Hint: it doesn’t, and it’s bc of teachers unions

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Here’s the paradox. In fact a lot of the most argumentative “open the schools up” folks are also “it’s all a hoax” folks who don’t believe we need to do anything to control it. But that behavior is going to result in new outbreaks and then the schools closing. It’s hard to watch, frankly, but here it comes.
Have flare-ups caused daycares to close?

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The following chart is not endorsed by me...

View attachment 26976

but is presented merely to show how the “flatten the curve” zealots are so religious and cultish about this thing that they’ve begun to see it in all things. What’s next, “flatten the curve of Christmas shopping after Thanksgiving so the stores don’t get too crowded”? How about “flatten the curve of college football tailgates so you aren’t trying to find your seat for kickoff at the same time as everyone else is”? Or maybe “flatten the curve of naval aviation training schedules so stash ensigns don’t get as much time in A-pool anymore before they class up”?

FFS.
The analogy doesn't quite fit. In this case of ballots, you can stack up the requests and process them in order as long as they get done far enough in advance of election day to get them out and back. You can't do that with sick people.

But,...

I question your priorities if you really have problems with these words used to encourage people to get an absentee ballot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does that even remotely make sense?

Hint: it doesn’t, and it’s bc of teachers unions
We probably all know good teachers that truly care for children. I have 2 in my family (cared actually, both retired). But if teachers unions say and do stupid things in the name of teachers, then it must be true the majority of teachers support their union's nonsense or they would be voted out. Coordinated strikes/protests by various teachers unions demand the a variety of the following following. Medicare for all, removal of all school resource officers, wealth tax, and zero threat of covid.

We hear constantly that teachers deserve honor and respect on the same level as military, LE, first responders, and lately medical personnel in the fight against the pandemic. Well bull crap to that! Cops, firefighters, EMS, and hospital medical personnel have done their duty and more during the pandemic. National Guard troops have administered covid tests and performed other duties. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have stepped up. Unionized grocery store workers have not refused to come to work. And the teachers union says no thanks. Too dangerous. Next time someone says teachers are heros, ask them what teachers did during the pandemic for America's children.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My sister in law is a teacher. Her union wants schools to stay closed. She says it is because they want money with no/less work. She is disgusted.

luckily her school district is opening.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Um, show me the science of absentee ballot request data that was used to draw that curve.

There wasn’t any. It’s not a real curve.

What’s wrong with just telling people to vote early?

You are right, that curve is stylized. I mentioned it when I said it is not a perfect analogy.

But the rate at which polling places will get absentee ballot requests will follow some curve. Encouraging people to ask for their ballot early will pull some of that peak earlier.

This is a stupid debate to get into. Of all the problems, I question why you felt this was important.