• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

exNavyOffRec

Why by air and not other means?

BTW in our planes, we don't recirculate the cabin air. It is almost continually changed out with new air so no lingering particles.

The cabin is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before each flight.

We also require and enforce mask wear throughout the flight.

We have not had a single crew member catch COVID from being on an aircraft. Anyone who has had it has been traced to a non-work contact.

Your statement is ridiculous.

Serious question here about air travel and the mask. There are some who get on a plane and promptly fall asleep, such as me, and yes it drives my wife nuts, now what does the crew do if a person is sleeping and their mask has fallen off? Since they are sitting now roaming around do they just let it be until the person wakes up. There are those who cannot and will constantly drink a little water or soda every minutes, or snack or things they have brought, if a person if drinking or eating like that do they say anything? or is it mainly the people that are just sitting without a mask not doing anything?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Mask off onboard the airplane right now? Depends on each carrier's latest protoct but for the most part you'll get mask shamed by a combination of personal, polite requests to your face and passive-aggressive "this is your captain speaking" public announcements for everybody around you to wonder who the problem child is. You might get tagged in the system for worse if you're overly disagreeable about it or you might not (like they won't sell you a ticket in the future). Maybe they'll take a harder line about it a few weeks from now or maybe who knows what.

The 6' thing is a lot like a WEZ concept. I don't know why this one is so hard for some folks to understand. If you're 30.1 miles from an SA-X battery or you're 29.9 then no, that's virtually no difference in your chance of getting shot. Sometimes the system gets a lucky kill that's a few clicks beyond even its max theoretical range and sometimes it gets an unexpected miss even in the sweet spot of its 99% or 95% Pk zone or whatever. But for the most part the odds of it working come down to math, really simple math.

Or think of it as what the concept of "max effective range" of small arms. Whatever works to make the concept click inside your head.

The other important thing about so-called social distancing is some of the science people think that viral load has a lot to do with how hard you get hit with the infection if and when you catch it. They think that is one possible explanation for why seemingly healthy medical people working in the covid wards have had a worse time of it than the data for the rest of the population would have predicted or suggested. Maybe it's a bogus theory but for now it certainly seems reasonable.

Riding in the back of an airliner you've got a vent right over your head blowing a mix of HEPA-filtered cabin air and fresh bleed air. You might as well point it directly at your blowhole (I thought everybody knew this life hack years ago). Whatever viruses or germs your sick seat neighbor is breathing out will go anywhere but into your eyes, nose, mouth, and lungs. Or you can close that vent if you want to be an idiot. With the vent blowing you're still inside your infected neighbor's WEZ but your odds are a heckuva lot better. And if you drew the short straw and it's Sneezy McSneezeface then their mask isn't going to catch 100% of the crud they're spewing but it will stop something more than 0.

Or pay for a whole row of seats or your own private airplane or whatever.

All this is the exact same idea as "don't get too close, I think I'm coming down with a cold."

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why by air and not other means?
Your statement is ridiculous.
Because the same inconsiderate people like slickag who won't wear masks are the same inconsiderate people who board a plane with symptoms. There's no way to validate where the passengers in your row have been, nor is there a way to validate all of the people you contact at an airport. And then after everyone disembarks the disease gets spread to a new population.

The disease spread to America via air and ship travel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Because the same inconsiderate people like slickag who won't wear masks are the same inconsiderate people who board a plane with symptoms. There's no way to validate where the passengers in your row have been, nor is there a way to validate all of the people you contact at an airport. And then after everyone disembarks the disease gets spread to a new population.

You didn’t answer the question

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 6' thing is a lot like a WEZ concept. I don't know why this one is so hard for some folks to understand. If you're 30.1 miles from an SA-X battery or you're 29.9 then no, that's virtually no difference in your chance of getting shot. Sometimes the system gets a lucky kill that's a few clicks beyond even its max theoretical range and sometimes it gets an unexpected miss even in the sweet spot of its 99% or 95% Pk zone or whatever. But for the most part the odds of it working come down to math, really simple math.

Or think of it as what the concept of "max effective range" of small arms. Whatever works to make the concept click inside your head.
And the reason why people are harping on masks is because wearing a mask is self-jamming YOUR OWN WEZ. It has nothing to do with "my body my choice" or some bullshit; it has to do with mitigating the risk of being an unknowing carrier of the disease that is spewing your own viral load all over creation because you can't be bothered. You get a sniffle, but then some high risk person ends up in the ER because you couldn't be bothered to take literally two seconds to decrease your own Pk.

And fatalities are not the entire picture. If this germ had a fatality rate of 0.05 percent, but 50 percent of the men infected had their dicks turn gangrenous and fall off, a bunch of folks here would be singing a way different tune. The reason NAMI is requiring a full pulmonary workup to give you an upchit post-COVID is because it's fucking up people who don't die. So again, what other healthy people are you potentially giving permanent lung damage to because "but muh rahts?"

Hello everyone, I am in ROTC and planning on taking the ASTB sometime this upcoming semester. My buddies that I live with are crazy worried that if anyone in the house gets COVID and gives it to people, it will compromise our commission and ability to go into aviation. are either of these things true? Thank you

SlickAg

pilot

You mean the sort of [expletive] who gets on the internet and tries calling someone out for violating HPCON...?

SlickAg

pilot
And the reason why people are harping on masks is because wearing a mask is self-jamming YOUR OWN WEZ. It has nothing to do with "my body my choice" or some bullshit; it has to do with mitigating the risk of being an unknowing carrier of the disease that is spewing your own viral load all over creation because you can't be bothered. You get a sniffle, but then some high risk person ends up in the ER because you couldn't be bothered to take literally two seconds to decrease your own Pk.

And fatalities are not the entire picture. If this germ had a fatality rate of 0.05 percent, but 50 percent of the men infected had their dicks turn gangrenous and fall off, a bunch of folks here would be singing a way different tune. The reason NAMI is requiring a full pulmonary workup to give you an upchit post-COVID is because it's fucking up people who don't die. So again, what other healthy people are you potentially giving permanent lung damage to because "but muh rahts?"
Fortunately for those of us who identify as male, this disease isn’t causing that, so phew.

Can you provide some research data about what exactly is happening to people who don’t die? Long-term effects, that sort of thing?

And I’m not talking about anecdotes; I’m talking about otherwise healthy individuals and their chances of not recovering fully. Published studies, articles in medical journals, etc.

And just to clarify, your flight doc is the one telling you about what NAMI is requiring? I didn’t realize you were in 129 or 209. If you’re in 209, how was the mitigation on deployment?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Because the same douchebags like slickag who won't wear masks are the same douchebags who board a plane with symptoms. There's no way to validate where the passengers in your row have been, nor is there a way to validate all of the people you contact at an airport. And then after everyone disembarks the disease gets spread to a new population.

There is a hell of a lot more potential to catch this in a store or restaurant than an airplane.

Like I said, your point is ridiculous.

But it’s your choice to get on an airplane or not, or to visit a store or restaurant, or to be an isolationist.

Sounds like you’d be happier and more comfortable as an isolationist. Hope your money lasts with all those deliveries- which I’m sure you are thoroughly disinfecting while wearing a mask and gloves as well as a full body suit and face shield.