• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
By all means, if it makes you feel more comfortable, wear a mask.

However, if you think you’re at such a high risk that you MUST only be around others who are wearing a mask, do everyone a favor and stay at home.

I don’t care if people wear masks or not. I can control how close I get to people If I’m afraid of being breathed on. If I can’t, and I’m worried about getting seriously ill, I shouldn’t go to that place where I can’t control my environment.

My local government is telling me that it’s okay to go out and be crowded around tens of thousands of people protesting, some of whom are NOT wearing masks, but is saying I can’t enjoy a drink at a bar with six feet of separation from fellow patrons? That’s your message?
The two most sensible policies to minimize the rate of spreading are to wear masks and to restrict travel, particularly by air.

You telling someone to stay home just because you can't be bothered to wear a mask is incredibly self-centered. Masks should absolutely be mandatory at any indoor place with the exception of dining areas until a vaccine is developed. And quite frankly, it would be nice during flu season if we got into the habit of sick people wearing them out of courtesy for others.

Now the 6ft of separation thing is some voodoo bullshit. If you go into a bar where there are multiple people are eating the same piss coated peanuts while talking, singing, and laughing let alone coughing and sneezing, everyone in the same room is all exposed to the same germs.

I'm completely fine with letting bars stay open and clearly advertising that risk, since you can't stuff your face with piss coated peanuts and booze while masked. But let's not pretend that 6ft of separation is actually protecting anyone.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The two most sensible policies to minimize the rate of spreading are to wear masks and to restrict travel, particularly by air.

You telling someone to stay home just because you can't be bothered to wear a mask is incredibly self-centered. Masks should absolutely be mandatory at any indoor place with the exception of dining areas until a vaccine is developed. And quite frankly, it would be nice during flu season if we got into the habit of sick people wearing them out of courtesy for others.

Now the 6ft of separation thing is some voodoo bullshit. If you go into a bar where there are multiple people are eating the same piss coated peanuts while talking, singing, and laughing let alone coughing and sneezing, everyone in the same room is all exposed to the same germs.

I'm completely fine with letting bars stay open and clearly advertising that risk, since you can't stuff your face with piss coated peanuts and booze while masked. But let's not pretend that 6ft of separation is actually protecting anyone.
Wait so masks work but distancing doesn’t? Also restricting air travel is pointless when it’s already being spread all over the country. What a hilariously bad take

SlickAg

pilot

That’s incredibly self-centered of you to think we should allow other people to knowingly take a risk when they could just close down bars and minimize the risk to everyone!

See what I just did to your freezing cold take?

Also, what makes a dining area safer than somewhere else inside? Oh wait...because they’re moving the tables farther apart...like six feet or greater! Again, if it’s that dangerous we should shut down restaurants.

Or...just maybe...we could give Americans the freedom of choice.

And to think I was going to volunteer to help you gather evidence to be used at Brett’s court-martial for not following the HPCONs...I’m ashamed of myself.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I live a stone's throw from Washington DC. Trust me when I say I am not, not in Trump country here. As I move about I don’t see any masks anywhere except inside some restaurants. This isn’t a matter of someone not setting the right tone, this is just people who want to go back to normal and appear ready to take the risk.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
A huge percentage of the American workforce is still unemployed or underemployed. We can debate masks, distance, sanitary wipes, etc. and whether they are effective, but none of that really matters if people are broke, behind on their rent/mortgage, unable to provide clothes or food for their families, as part of a great depression. Every year the flu kills tens of thousands of Americans. We haven’t done masks and distancing since 1919. People are losing sight of common sense, personal accountability, and trade-off decisions. Liberals see mask shaming as a way to hammer Trump in a pivotal election year, and Karens see mask shaming as a way to assert moral high ground over others. If a business requires you to wear a mask to enter, then either wear the mask or leave. It’s their private property. It’s no different than a “no shirt no shoes no service” policy. Private businesses can legally say no weapons, too, even if you have a carry permit. But it’s on the business’ employees to enforce its rules - not vigilante mask shamers who don’t work there. And if you are out on a sidewalk or at a park and you don’t feel like wearing a mask because you don’t se the risk to you or those around you, well you make your own risk based decisions and live with the consequences. You are not guaranteed to exist in America risk-free. Safety isn’t part of the Constitution. Safety is applied by the individual through exercising their own judgment.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Wait so masks work but distancing doesn’t?
Yes. Standing 6 ft 1" away from someone doesn't make you safer.

Also restricting air travel is pointless when it’s already being spread all over the country.
NYC has a PFR of 0.3%, an order of magnitude more than the national PFR.

Yes, restriction of travel to hot spots is absolutely sensible. But now people are traveling to/from NY so good luck with the reflash.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That’s incredibly self-centered of you to think we should allow other people to knowingly take a risk when they could just close down bars and minimize the risk to everyone!

See what I just did to your freezing cold take?
Yeah, responded with immature nonsense. Wear a mask, it costs you virtually nothing.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yes. Standing 6 ft 1" away from someone doesn't make you safer.

NYC has a PFR of 0.3%, an order of magnitude more than the national PFR.

Yes, restriction of travel to hot spots is absolutely sensible. But now people are traveling to/from NY so good luck with the reflash.
Weird, it seems like scientists all over the world are saying that close contact spreads the virus but you probably know better.

SlickAg

pilot
Median IFR of 0.05% for people under 70. Anyone know what the Median IFR for that same demographic intends to be for the seasonal flu?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
My body my choice, to borrow a phrase from the pro-choice crowd.
I know there's no point in arguing but I'm going to anyways: You're analogy is flawed because if you don't wear a mask you could potentially infect multiple people; whereas abortion in this country was judged in the 70s by the Supreme Court to be legal.

SlickAg

pilot
I know there's no point in arguing but I'm going to anyways: You're analogy is flawed because if you don't wear a mask you could potentially infect multiple people; whereas abortion in this country was judged in the 70s by the Supreme Court to be legal.
Just like an aborted baby potentially could’ve grown up, become a doctor, and saved multiple peoples’ lives?

Keyword: potentially.

Besides, the whole point of wearing a mask is if you CAN’T maintain six feet of separation, right?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Besides, the whole point of wearing a mask is if you CAN’T maintain six feet of separation, right?
Yep, but if you (royal) have to be within 6 feet (our arbitrarily decided upon distance) of someone, just be a fellow considerate human being and put a fucking mask on.

Edit: added time caveat

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
to restrict travel, particularly by air
Why by air and not other means?

BTW in our planes, we don't recirculate the cabin air. It is almost continually changed out with new air so no lingering particles.

The cabin is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before each flight.

We also require and enforce mask wear throughout the flight.

We have not had a single crew member catch COVID from being on an aircraft. Anyone who has had it has been traced to a non-work contact.

Your statement is ridiculous.