• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like the virus ain't just going away as it warms up, or as states open up from Arizona and Arkansas to Texas.

Has any country found a significant risk to children?

The risk has fortunately proven to be low to most children but they can still be carriers of the virus and spread it to more vulnerable populations, not only that but schools don't just have kids in them.

taxi1

pilot
...schools don't just have kids in them.
That really is the thing. In a K-12 and on up through the university, there will be a lot of potential victims coming into contact with students. Always disruptive to have your professor die mid-semester.

I'm hoping they all (college students) spend the summer protesting, get it, and get herd immunity.

taxi1

pilot
If fast food joints and liquor stores are essential to stay open, school faculty can accept some risk to educate our children.
The teachers I know are ready to get back on it. The distance learning for the youngest kids in particular is a non-starter.

They are willing to take the risk.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not seeing much analysis, or honesty in reporting, about increases in testing yielding the higher numbers. Don't know about some of the others, but my state has been on a testing blitz. Test more, find more positive cases. We hear it in other contexts, that an increase in this or that was due to changes in reporting criteria over previous years. I think I have heard mention of testing rates versus increases in positive case once.

Lately, local headlines screamed that a hospital was at capacity for covid patients. A dire warning of the increase in cases. But capacity is just 8 people for that hospital based on ventilator requirements. And it was just one hospital out of many. Also, no mention of the number of patients in covid intensive care before hitting capacity or any historical data. They could have been running between 6 and 7 for more than a month. But hit 8 and it is scary headlines.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not seeing much analysis, or honesty in reporting, about increases in testing yielding the higher numbers. Don't know about some of the others, but my state has been on a testing blitz. Test more, find more positive cases. We hear it in other contexts, that an increase in this or that was due to changes in reporting criteria over previous years. I think I have heard mention of testing rates versus increases in positive case once.

You aren't looking hard enough, a quick search yielded this article:

An ABC News analysis of New York Times data found that new positive cases, hospitalizations and deaths had all increased in Arizona. While testing in the state also increased, so did the rate of positive tests. A high positivity rate can be a sign that a state is only testing its sickest patients and failing to cast a net wide enough to accurately capture community transmission, according to Johns Hopkins University.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You aren't looking hard enough, a quick search yielded this article:

An ABC News analysis of New York Times data found that new positive cases, hospitalizations and deaths had all increased in Arizona. While testing in the state also increased, so did the rate of positive tests. A high positivity rate can be a sign that a state is only testing its sickest patients and failing to cast a net wide enough to accurately capture community transmission, according to Johns Hopkins University.
Thanks. I had missed that. That is what we should see/hear in almost every report on case increases where testing is being blitzed. In my state the vast majority of the test locations require symptoms, so it stands to reason you are going to find a higher percentage of positive tests, as noted above.