• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I had missed that. That is what we should see/hear in almost every report on case increases where testing is being blitzed. In my state the vast majority of the test locations require symptoms, so it stands to reason you are going to find a higher percentage of positive tests, as noted above.

Hospital capacity is another pretty good measure of how serious things are getting in particular areas, at the very least an increasing amount of evidence is showing that the virus can still threaten public health around the country.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Hospital capacity is another pretty good measure of how serious things are getting in particular areas, at the very least an increasing amount of evidence is showing that the virus can still threaten public health around the country.
It is, and the disaster plans in this country are based on regional disasters (not national disasters) and excess capacity in neighboring regions. I think we have a decent handle on COVID, on a national level. We're not out of the woods yet, but scare headlines like what @wink mentioned don't help anyone. (Well, they help the media people who might be out of a job if they don't sell enough scary headlines.)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Looks like the virus ain't just going away as it warms up, or as states open up from Arizona and Arkansas to Texas.

The risk has fortunately proven to be low to most children but they can still be carriers of the virus and spread it to more vulnerable populations, not only that but schools don't just have kids in them.
In the case of Texas, I don’t see it having much to do with opening up. The article you linked points out that much of the recent “spike” is from increased testing in prisons. Another factor is elective medical procedures being allowed and the massive testing associated with that is finding a lot of asymptomatic cases. New cases in Texas are increasing but deaths continue to fall, and hospital capacity is fine.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the case of Texas, I don’t see it having much to do with opening up. The article you linked points out that much of the recent “spike” is from increased testing in prisons. Another factor is elective medical procedures being allowed and the massive testing associated with that is finding a lot of asymptomatic cases. New cases in Texas are increasing but deaths continue to fall, and hospital capacity is fine.

Hospitalizations in Texas are rising too.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I channeled my inner Karen today when I was at the local Lowe's. No, it's probably not what you're thinking.

When one of the floor associates did the "can I help you find..." thing I said welllllll not exactly, but I want to tell you something for you to pass along. See this? (Kobalt brand Torx security bit set, aka more new tools.) It's made in Taiwan. I'm buying this one because Taiwan is a free country. See that huge Craftsman display you guys have right there? Half of that stuff is made in China. That's a communist country and their government lied to the whole world about this virus. Now you and I are standing here having this weird conversation, you have this mask on your face, there's all this social distancing stuff, the economy is in shambles and everyone is worried about their jobs... and your store is hiding this perfectly good product that's made in a free country. Not saying you actually tried to hide it, that's just how it worked out. Anyway, thanks for listening.

A couple of guys nearby were kinda like "Yeah!" They kinda had that look like they're in construction and on the job today, stopping in the store to get something.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I channeled my inner Karen today when I was at the local Lowe's. No, it's probably not what you're thinking.

When one of the floor associates did the "can I help you find..." thing I said welllllll not exactly, but I want to tell you something for you to pass along. See this? (Kobalt brand Torx security bit set, aka more new tools.) It's made in Taiwan. I'm buying this one because Taiwan is a free country. See that huge Craftsman display you guys have right there? Half of that stuff is made in China. That's a communist country and their government lied to the whole world about this virus. Now you and I are standing here having this weird conversation, you have this mask on your face, there's all this social distancing stuff, the economy is in shambles and everyone is worried about their jobs... and your store is hiding this perfectly good product that's made in a free country. Not saying you actually tried to hide it, that's just how it worked out. Anyway, thanks for listening.

A couple of guys nearby were kinda like "Yeah!" They kinda had that look like they're in construction and on the job today, stopping in the store to get something.

I hope you then smugly walked to your car parked in the Veterans spot (natch) thinking 'you're welcome for my service.'

Hair Warrior

Contributor

If only there was some way to financially incentivize companies to not do business with China, eschew Chinese investment money, and bring jobs and manufacturing plants back to America...