• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID East or West?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
T-34's East

Just got me some TAD orders to do some of that PROTRAMID east stuff in the TurboWeenie. Apparently, not enough people volunteered, so they offered me a drug deal and I took it.

Anybody have and info on what typical days are going to be like?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just got me some TAD orders to do some of that PROTRAMID east stuff in the TurboWeenie. Apparently, not enough people volunteered, so they offered me a drug deal and I took it.

Anybody have and info on what typical days are going to be like?

You'll show up the day before things kick off (usually) and then the next morning come in and get trained up. One guy will run the radio and the others will help strap in the Mids. You'll rotate through based off your guy's preferences. Make sure you pay attention to the hot seat instructions from the IPs. I can't tell if you're done w/ Primary or going to start, so if you're done, a lot of it will be familiar. If you haven't started, make sure you don't have any questions because the IPs are relying on you making sure everything is secured.

For East, it usually lasts 2 to 3 days depending on how many mids. Then you'll get several days of special lib until the following Monday. Chances are, you'll get a ride at some point, as well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You'll show up the day before things kick off (usually) and then the next morning come in and get trained up. One guy will run the radio and the others will help strap in the Mids. You'll rotate through based off your guy's preferences. Make sure you pay attention to the hot seat instructions from the IPs. I can't tell if you're done w/ Primary or going to start, so if you're done, a lot of it will be familiar. If you haven't started, make sure you don't have any questions because the IPs are relying on you making sure everything is secured.

For East, it usually lasts 2 to 3 days depending on how many mids. Then you'll get several days of special lib until the following Monday. Chances are, you'll get a ride at some point, as well.

It's a cake job with lots of chances to enjoy the Tidewater Area.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Update: I just found out I'll be on an FFG for my 2/C cruise, flying in and out of some pretty #$*@ing sweet places (at least they sound it). Anyone have any tips for being on an FFG, on a 2/C cruise, or in general? I'd love to see if I could get up in one of the helos while I'm there, would this be possible?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Update: I just found out I'll be on an FFG for my 2/C cruise, flying in and out of some pretty #$*@ing sweet places (at least they sound it). Anyone have any tips for being on an FFG, on a 2/C cruise, or in general? I'd love to see if I could get up in one of the helos while I'm there, would this be possible?
Sorry Dude, your 2/C cruise is your "enlisted appreciation cruise". I am sure you can swing a ride if there is a helo and it is flying but count on needle guns, paint chipping, swashbuckling, head cleaning, deck mopping, and brass polishing. Oh yeah, and you will be up at 0500 every morning in your dungarees.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Sorry Dude, your 2/C cruise is your "enlisted appreciation cruise". I am sure you can swing a ride if there is a helo and it is flying but count on needle guns, paint chipping, swashbuckling, head cleaning, deck mopping, and brass polishing. Oh yeah, and you will be up at 0500 every morning in your dungarees.

That being said, bring a set of Khakis with you in case your ships CO has thier own idea about what your summer cruise should be like. One of my classmates ended up having their 2/C cruise turned into a 1/C cruise by the ship CO... they didn't bring their Khakis and got a lot of weird looks wearing dungarees during meals in the wardroom.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're in ROTC you don't get issued dungarees/utilities. I don't know about the academy kids but you get khakis/coveralls with gold name tapes in ROTC and that's what you wear.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh and yes it is your enlisted appreciation cruise, but have a good attitude about everything. Try to do everything your running mate does, including all the painting, cleaning, greasing, etc. It will be more meaningful and honestly you'll feel more a part of the crew if you are actually contributing to the mission of the ship, even if that only means doing your share of cleaning. Don't be that guy who spends the entire cruise in your rack- get out and see/do everything you can. Especially if you're going aviation, this will be your only opportunity to see a good bit of the surface side, so experience as much as you can- the good and the not so good.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I did my 2/c on a CV so mine also kind of morphed into a quasi 1/c cruise.....but, you should at least have a chance to get up onto the bridge and maybe actually do some stuff up there. If you get to do this, definitely do. Even if it is not really that exciting to you, use the opportunity to experience the SWO world. Personally, it was the 10 mins I spent on the bridge that forever cemented into my mind during service selection that I had no business being a SWO :)

Also, try and get in on some different watches around the boat, and of course if you have the time, have fun too!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As an aside, the East Coast PROTRAMID/CORTRAMID midshipmen have been getting rides (as pax) and sims in MV-22s during Marine week. Take that for what you will, good or bad.

IrishEagle85

I have some questions about CORTRAMID-

First, do we get to choose west versus east, or is that assigned to us?

Second, what do female midshipmen do during sub week since we can't select subs anyways?

And last, for Navy-option NROTC midshipmen, what is the point of Marine week? I was under the impression that if we have a Navy-option NROTC 4-yr scholarship, we can't switch over to Marines without losing our scholarship. Isn't that true?

The way things worked when I did Cortramid was you were assigned based on the geographic location of your home of residence. If you were east of the Mississippi River, you went Cotramid East. If you were west of the Mississippi River, you went west. Exceptions applied when someone had a damned good reason for needing to miss their respective cruise (such as a wedding in the family or some such).

Females still go on the subs, and they set up separate berthing space for you. The Navy Submarine community will not be female exclusive forever, and I suspect we might see a change within the next couple of years.

As for the scholarship question, as far as I am aware you would keep your scholarship as the Marine Corps ROTC is a subbranch of the Navy ROTC. I'm not completely sure about this, so it never hurts to ask your LT.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way things worked when I did Cortramid was you were assigned based on the geographic location of your home of residence. If you were east of the Mississippi River, you went Cotramid East. If you were west of the Mississippi River, you went west. Exceptions applied when someone had a damned good reason for needing to miss their respective cruise (such as a wedding in the family or some such).

Females still go on the subs, and they set up separate berthing space for you. The Navy Submarine community will not be female exclusive forever, and I suspect we might see a change within the next couple of years.

As for the scholarship question, as far as I am aware you would keep your scholarship as the Marine Corps ROTC is a subbranch of the Navy ROTC. I'm not completely sure about this, so it never hurts to ask your LT.

Everyone I've known that's switched has had to apply for the new scholarship. While I don't know anyone that was denied the Marine option scholarship when they already had one for Navy option, I'd imagine if they were denied they could theoretically drop their Navy scholarship and just stay on as a college program Marine option.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm going up to Oceana with a Weiner. TAD for 2 weeks flying nothing but hotseat front seat PA's? I can't believe that they had to ask twice for volunteers! As Hozer said, bring a bag (2 if you're smart!)

Just got back from Virginny Beach. . .after some very messy first days, we now issue 3 bags.

Quote of the DET: "I don't care if you think you're gonna puke or not. Hold that bag open the whole time. Like you're gonna throw a basketball in there."

This right after one of the IP's asked: "Who's bright idea was it to feed the midshipmen crab salad sandwiches?"