• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID East or West?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Norfvck sucked for aviation week...they really didn't know what to do with us, so we had a bunch of pointless briefs and got a couple hours of sim time.

i went east, and we had one ride in a t-34

I may have flown you. Sounds like they did have at least a little more than just some sim time.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately no...they didn't have enough time to fit us all in, so about half our group got the rides and the other half got sim time. Sorry for not clarifying. The ROTC group I saw in San Diego did get a much better deal though, they had Traron 10 up there giving them each multiple T-6 rides.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm going to CORTRAMID west this summer, but last year the mids from my unit each got a T-6 ride, got stick time in the 60, and the chance at an F-18 ride (Depending on PRT scores).

I know the kid who got to ride the F-18. He did more than just get a good PRT score (aka ass kissing)

gotta_fly

pilot
I went West Coast in '05 as well and got pretty lucky, I got decent stick time in both the T-34 and SH-60B. Unfortunately, only the Marines got to ride in jets, but the guys running stuff for us did a good job of making sure the rest of us got to fly in the other two.

I'm pretty sure they still go with whatever coast you live near, but if you can find someone who lives opposite coast to switch with you (I did this) it's not a big deal to do the paperwork. I really enjoyed San Diego, and from what I understand, there was a bit more hands-on experience on the West Coast in '05. Either way, it's a great experience and one that most people never get to have. Enjoy!

gotta_fly

pilot
1st Class aviation cruise... that's a sore spot. My unit told us they weren't doing those anymore, so that's what I believed until I ran into some 1st Class aviation cruisers on HST during my surface nuke cruise... :icon_rage

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1st Class aviation cruise was a lot of fun. Yes, I was with a COD squadron, but I had a blast. I got some stick time, rode out to the carrier once (see avatar), and explored San Diego for a month. I came out with a real appreciation of the COD lifestyle, and learned a lot from a great bunch of JO's and chiefs. It definitely convinced me to go aviation. For you underclass, definitely take an aviation cruise if you can get one. It'll give you a whole ton of insight into how Naval Aviation works.

clonei09

I went east coast and got a T-34 and H-60S flight time. Not many people got helo rides. Every mid who was med qualed got a flight in the T-34. For those that didn't do the chamber and were restricted by altitude they had two flights of five people scheduled in the -60S. That totaled 10 spots per week, I was lucky in my week because we only had 7 kids who were med restricted, so they opened up those three spots to kids who had already had their t-34 flights. I was one of the lucky few who got to go up because i had just squeezed my flight in T-34 the previous day before thunderstorms canceled the rest of the flights so I was one of the few people they picked to fill the spots on the helo the next day. As far as the helo flight went it was awesome. We got to fly from NAS Norfolk out to the coast low level the whole way with the doors open and down the beach for about an hour and then we returned and each mid got about 30 mins of stick time doing basic hover work and two trips in the circuit. A cool side story is after the 5 midshipmen flew they had some extra gas so they let the air crewman who was in the back with us get up front for some circuits. He said that it was his first time flying in the 60S and it was much easier than the H-3 he previously had tried to fly.

As far as coasts concern don't pick one over the other based on chance of flying. It is all completely random and dependent upon which assets they can get in there for you. I would recommend east coast over west coast if so it doesn't interfere with your summer if your trying to get a job or internship. East was a lot of fun. I don't think it matters which coast you go on because your all going to do the same stuff and the little bit of free time that they do give you shouldn't be the deciding factor in which coast you want to go.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Unfortunately no...they didn't have enough time to fit us all in, so about half our group got the rides and the other half got sim time. Sorry for not clarifying. The ROTC group I saw in San Diego did get a much better deal though, they had Traron 10 up there giving them each multiple T-6 rides.

I find this suspect. When were you there (month and year)? The only time I can think of there bing a time limit was during the 4th of July this last year, and even then, we ran everyone through at least once that had an upchit. It only takes two days to do it, sometimes three if there's a big group (usually ROTC guys) and/or the weather craps out.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was July of '06. I feel like an idiot now...because I finally remembered why I couldn't fly. The lost upchit probably had something to do with it.:eek: I didn't mean to sound overly negative about Norfolk...we did have fun with the simulators, but there was a whole lot of down time when we were stuck on base.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went CORTRAMID east in 2005, got one flight in a T-34, but I was unlucky. Most people got another flight in a helo, T-34, or C-2.

Aviation cruise in 2007 I went to an HSL squadron. I had 3 flights- one in the back with the gunners belt with my feet hanging out the door and the other 2 up front on the stick pretty much the entire time. We also spent several hours in the sim doing Hellfire training raining death and destruction upon a simulated San Diego. It was a blast and the rest of the time was spent on Jax Beach.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It was July of '06. And I don't remember what the reason was, but I was disappointed...the guys that got to do it had a great time. The sim was fun though...they put us in the old hornet simulator at Oceana and let us screw around for a bit.

Hmm. I was there at that time. I have a feeling the "reason" may have been made up by your staff, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Sorry you missed out.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
CORTRAMID West 2006- I got a ride in a T-34 and -60B. They had around 10-20 spots per week for hornet rides. Top PRT scores in the company and the company officers got the hornet ride. Having a billet during aviation week is very helpful (I didn't). This applied to the Navy guys only. They separated the Marines in our company who ended up getting 1 flight in a -53 that had to do a precautionary landing in the desert.