• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID East or West?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
On the west coast it was very different. All the Hornets there are from Miramar, so only MOs got rides. There were 1 or 2 kids per week, not 10 or 20.

I was on CORTRAMID West, perhaps it was different the year you went. They had two hornets at North Island from Lemoore and their only duty was flying mids around for the month.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Go WEST.

The weather is much better for flying out in SD. A bunch of my friends who went East didn't get to fly due to crappy weather. In SD we had 30 straight days of sun. It was glorious. Beaches, girls, the gaslamp, it's all awesome. If you're under 21 and you don't have a car, Norfolk sucks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I got shafted out of that one, they wouldn't let me up in the T-34 because some HM2 put a ceiling restriction on my flights after a Flight Surgeon approved my upchit for all altitudes. But because of that, I got about 30 minutes of stick time in a HH-60H. There were other mids that didn't get any.
You got the better end of that deal. ;)

sbpilot

I would LOVE to get a hornet ride at CORTRAMID west this summer. Hopefully it isn't just based on PT scores.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I would LOVE to get a hornet ride at CORTRAMID west this summer. Hopefully it isn't just based on PT scores.

It's mostly PT score, but also take initiative and have a leadership billet. Most companies will do strictly PT scores, but others will look at you as more than just a number.

adam28270

Go West coast. San Deigo has better weather and the beaches are better. The trolley runs right through the middle of the base, so you can get around without a car. You don't have to worry about traveling to a new base each week so you can really get a feel for the area. Don't worry about where you want to get stationed after graduation....have fun with your summer cruises, depending on what you service select, it could be the only time you get to fly, drive a ship, go on a sub, etc...

Python

pilot
Contributor
Go west.

Better weather, city, attractions, everything. Did mine last summer as a 2/C and it was the best 3 weeks of my life (marine week is definitely not in the category of "best weeks in my life")

cclement

None
On the west coast it was very different. All the Hornets there are from Miramar, so only MOs got rides. There were 1 or 2 kids per week, not 10 or 20.

I went West 06 as well. Every Navy option got at least 2 flights, T-34 and either SH60B (generally some go Romeos I think?), S-3 (only 2-3 per week that were preselected for no apparent reason) or an F18 flight. There were 2-3 per company (so 4-6 per week) that got F18 flights chosen by the company LT. Our LT chose based on initial PRT scores.

HOWEVER, my roommate who scored the best for the females was slotted for the F18, but when asked (the first week mind you) what she wanted to do in the Navy she responded JAG. He gave her spot to another girl who asked our LT everyday if she could go on the F18. Ironically, after our aviation week my roommate wanted to fly and still does almost two years later.

Marine Options were completely seperate during aviation week. From what I understand, some of them got F18 flights, and all got flights in C130. I want to say they had 3 flights total, but I'm not sure what the third flight would have been.

East vs. West is hard to recommend though for anyone, because no one has been to both. Like everyone else said both have pros and cons. As far as I know West 07 only had one flight per person instead of the two my year received. So it also has to do with extrenal forces like money, time, weather, etc. It's really just luck. Like most things in the military really.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I have some questions about CORTRAMID-

First, do we get to choose west versus east, or is that assigned to us?

Second, what do female midshipmen do during sub week since we can't select subs anyways?

And last, for Navy-option NROTC midshipmen, what is the point of Marine week? I was under the impression that if we have a Navy-option NROTC 4-yr scholarship, we can't switch over to Marines without losing our scholarship. Isn't that true?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Second, what do female midshipmen do during sub week since we can't select subs anyways?

And last, for Navy-option NROTC midshipmen, what is the point of Marine week? I was under the impression that if we have a Navy-option NROTC 4-yr scholarship, we can't switch over to Marines without losing our scholarship. Isn't that true?

Yes

They come on board the sub anyway

And its to introduce Mids to various fields that the Navy and Marine Corps provide. You can transfer to Marine-Option without losing your scholarship, all you do is put in a package and convince you MOI why you should be a Marine. We have one 3/C right now that is trying to transfer to Marines because of his experiences in CORTRAMID.

whalepelt

You don't really choose; you can request one over the other. If you have a good reason or they have extra slots you'll likely get what you want. If not, they'll send you to whichever is closer to where you live.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

To clarify the east v. west thing, generally if you live east of the Mississippi River you'll go east, but if you ask to go west you'll probably get it.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are they still having west this year? They consolidated it for all of my rising juniors, so it's just east for USNA this summer.

whalepelt

Are they still having west this year? They consolidated it for all of my rising juniors, so it's just east for USNA this summer.

They gave our freshmen the cruise brief last week and they were talking about East and West, so I'm pretty sure it's still on. Their dream sheets definitely had West listed.

Maybe they did that to you guys because you all start or end up on the East coast and this cuts travel costs.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Did they really? Lot's of people going to be pissed. Where'd you hear this one? If that's the case, might be easier for me to switch into Block I. I took the shaft the other day and lost my leave when I wanted it... got replaced with 4 weeks of YP's, :eek: which I did last year... :icon_rage