• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compare Navy OCS to USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
GTodd said:
I'm back, got my surgery almost ready to go back.
One thanks Gunnery Sgt for answering all of these questions.
Two are you in the video that they show b4 you leave 4 OCS? That video is awesome, being picked up was just like what the video showed. Marine OCS wa so much fun I get to do it again!!!!! Man I hate the quigley.

Yes that is me.

Sabre170

None
Gunnydhe,

I spent six years in the Marine Corps and am waiting for Final Selection for NFO. How does the daily routine of Recruite Training compare to the daily routine of Navy OCS. I can't imagine the Chiefs yelling as loud as my four DI's from 1993.

As I remember our Daily routine at MCRD was (I don't know times, because we never had a watch)
wake up, Clean Squad Bay
Chow
PT
Shower, Drill
Classes
Drill
Chow
Drill
Classes
Drill
Chow
Drill
SSS
Taps

That is what I remember of first Phase, 2nd phase was all weapons and drill, Third phase had more PT and drill.

Is Navy OCS broken up on Phases? If I am in good shape, know my memorization stuff (General Orders, Chain of Command, Code of Conduct, etc...) will I be bored for 13 weeks?

Sgt Nelson

Sabre170

None
Sorry, do we Drill with weapons or does the Navy not trust naval officers to carry small arms?

Sabre170

None
I never thought about this before, but is Navy OCS coed? Do men and women train together or do they have separate platoons?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Sarge,

It's coed, you drill with rifles, and boredom should be the least of your concerns

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Thisguy said:
Sarge,

It's coed, you drill with rifles, and boredom should be the least of your concerns
Devil Dog,

Thisguy is correct though he has no clue as too what recruit training is like.

It is coed and now that I am retired I can say this. God what a mistake. It has lowered standards for the males and can be conflicting with training. Oh well, I am not going to change that *****ing on here.

The BDR is totally different. Very little is done by the numbers. You will not see a DI after 1900, or very rarely. Your day consist of academics with a little drill. PT is nothing like recruit training either but is nothing to sneeze at.

The bottom line is they are two totally different worlds. If you were or are squared away you will not have a problem. Just time manage now to prepare for OCS.

Good luck and Semper Fi

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
Sabre170 said:
Sorry, do we Drill with weapons or does the Navy not trust naval officers to carry small arms?
You will drill with a non functioning M1 Garande. Much heavier than an M16.

NuSnake

This is the History I have found as to why Marines train Naval Officers, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Way back when, I dont know exactly, Naval Officers would lead a boat of marines, they got a bunch killed cause they didnt have respect for them, so the Navy wanted Marines training them...

Is this correct for anyone that knows??

Sabre170

None
I've seen the OCS video at the OSO's office, but does anyone know where I can view it online or download it?

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
wildflyin69 said:
Doesn't Navy OCS have a resident Marine Sgt? Thought I saw that somewhere.

Watch out!

They are watching you! I am sure that when you get there you will get the "point". HEHEHEHEHHEHEHEEEEHE!

SWOdogJon

Aaaaargh!!!

NuSnake said:
This is the History I have found as to why Marines train Naval Officers, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Way back when, I dont know exactly, Naval Officers would lead a boat of marines, they got a bunch killed cause they didnt have respect for them, so the Navy wanted Marines training them...

Is this correct for anyone that knows??

A word from the wise-
DO NOT bring that story up when you get there. I can promise you suffering if you do. I can say this....the Gunnery Sergeants that you "meet" at OCS are the sharpest people you will ever meet in your life. Listen, learn, and take the pain that they give you. It will come in handy when you get in the fleet.

SWOdogJon

gunnydhe said:
Devil Dog,

Thisguy is correct though he has no clue as too what recruit training is like.

It is coed and now that I am retired I can say this. God what a mistake. It has lowered standards for the males and can be conflicting with training. Oh well, I am not going to change that *****ing on here.

The BDR is totally different. Very little is done by the numbers. You will not see a DI after 1900, or very rarely. Your day consist of academics with a little drill. PT is nothing like recruit training either but is nothing to sneeze at.

The bottom line is they are two totally different worlds. If you were or are squared away you will not have a problem. Just time manage now to prepare for OCS.

Good luck and Semper Fi

MasterGuns-
Is that who you are? Pleas do not tell them too much! (Jokes)

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
SWOdogJon said:
MasterGuns-
Is that who you are? Pleas do not tell them too much! (Jokes)
It's Gunny (retired) and yes that is me. The only thing I tell them is to keep the mouth shut, ears open and do what the hell you are told.

Who was your DI?

Sabre170

None
The secreat I learned at recruit trainning was to do what you are told, ONLY what you are told, how you are told to do, and when you are told to do it. Initiative is great but not around a DI. When told to put your left boot on, don't pick up your right and get a head start. Of course when you just stand there waiting to be told to get your right boot, you will be yelled at but not as bad as when you do something without being told to.

Maybe at OCS we will have a little more latitude on intiative...

Gunny, what happens after 1900, when the DIs have left for the day?

Also does the navy use another term for platoon, company, etc... What about a Guide, Squad Leader, etc..

SWOdogJon

Gunny-
My Bad. I had the privilage to be trained by Gunnery Sergeants Murphy, Watson, and Hanson. However, Gunnery Sergeant Aurelio and Master Gunnery Sergeant Altman were not far away, ever. For all those who have not been to either Navy or Marine Corps OCS, it is not uncommon to get "helped" with training several times a day by other DI's and even into the evening. I am proud of my time at OCS and I think that the lessons and training that I learned there are the most important of my Naval career ( I am a prior enlisted submariner). I, however am not willing to give too much of the fun away to new recruits ( ha ha ha)

Status
Not open for further replies.