• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compare Navy OCS to USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were maybe 3 or 4 rough runs at OCS in 13 weeks. I think they were more rough due to a combo of Freak Humidity and being extremely hung over.

If I remember correctly, those were the formation runs on Saturday. I actually enjoyed those quite a bit because the cadences were typically non-PC and somewhat entertaining. I guess I shouldn't say that PT was a joke, but I know that Gunny Cagle wanted to do more overall strength exercises, rather than just slow runs. Do you remember the day we actually got to run sprints, do pull-ups, and all the other stuff? It almost felt like we were actually "training" for something. Good times, good times. PT was my favorite part of the day... staying awake learning about a subject that was either irrelevant to aviation (mo boards) or learning an incredibly easy subject that was inversely proportional to the amount of time spent on it... that was not so much fun. And my final statement:

The ONLY POSITIVE TRAINING at OCS came from Marine Corps drill instructors.

Lawman

None
Only at Navy OCS can that be an excuse...or can you go out drinking at Marine OCS too?
Plenty of fools go out and get hammered on liberty, typically to come back and face the suck because PT Monday Mornings is usually tough as hell just because of that fact and the staff is rested. For my company they scheduled intro to the Combat Course the day we returned from that first fat and lazy liberty and nobody hydrated enough over the weekend. We had more drop outs on those combat runs then any other run that took place at OCS.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Things that were harder at Navy AOCS:
Punitive PT
Inspections (RLPs)
Academics
DOR policy (you say it, you're gone that instant)
Eating chow (procedures)

Things that were harder at Marine OCS:
Regular PT
Leadership challenges (by a great deal)
Living Conditions

Things that are the same either place:
The chow tastes the same.

The biggest difference is that in the navy, if you just shut up, blend in, and hack it, you'll pass. Nobody makes you prove that you can lead. At Marine OCS, you can be doing fine until the end, punt some leadership billet into the grandstands, and get sh!tcanned that very week.

Libbo was much better at AOCS (longer and higher quality). I got much more sleep there, too.

The redass factor is about the same.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Are there any people who honestly give it their all and still can't get excellent low on the way out? What happens to those people?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I see you've been researching your first few days with Brett this summer.

No actually I'm contemplating what will happen on this first saturday that everyone seems so hush hush about, with the look on their face as if they just got a prostate exam.

MasterBates

No actually I'm contemplating what will happen on this first saturday that everyone seems so hush hush about, with the look on their face as if they just got a prostate exam.

First Saturday....

[MadScientist]Whuhahahaha[/MadScientist]

You will see.....

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What was your story that you did both?

NAVCAD program. AOCS Class 20-89. Reduction in force (RIF, i.e "Black Tuesday") 1990.

Went to the USMC OSO the day after my discharge from the navy and eventually got picked up for PLC-Air. Bravo Company 1992.

It's a fairly long story, but that's the Readers Digest version.

S.O.B.

pilot
Navy OCS may have been, or is now a "joke" but it certainly seemed to me that a high percentage of candidates that started with a class didn't finish with the same class. I don't have any actual numbers or statistics but if I had to guess I would say it was close to 30% in the late 90s. Not sure how things are now but back then it was tense enough for me.

Short story: when I was Candidate Officer in OCS, a DI yelled at a prior first class submariner and he craped in his pants. The candidate then informed the drill instructor that he had sh1t himself and the DI just looked at him and said "AWSOME", no instructions on how to proceeded and correct the situation just one word "AWSOME". Not sure if that guy made it or not, but my initial impression was that this guy really wasn’t cut out to be a leader of men?

As for Marine Corps OCS I saw a discovery channel special on it and was curious about whether or not the instructors were DIs? They looked and acted like DIs but didn't wear the Smokey bear.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Oh yes they are All DI's but the don't wear there Smokey’s except for the Platoon picture. Remember it's OCS and not Basic and thus they wear different covers. It is a whole different atmosphere, not training you in tasks but evaluating leadership ability.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Navy OCS may have been, or is now a "joke" but it certainly seemed to me that a high percentage of candidates that started with a class didn't finish with the same class.

I went through in '02, and out of our class of 54, 38 were originials. Not to mention people who rolled in, and then rolled back further. I think the "joke" part is now it's nearly impossible to attrite. You'll probably get thru, it just might take a bit longer.

I compare OCS to a really bad short deployment. Being cut off from the outside world and not being able to order pizza and watch TV and do things you're used to sucked the most.

S.O.B.

pilot
I went through in '02, and out of our class of 54, 38 were originials. Not to mention people who rolled in, and then rolled back further. I think the "joke" part is now it's nearly impossible to attrite. You'll probably get thru, it just might take a bit longer.

I compare OCS to a really bad short deployment. Being cut off from the outside world and not being able to order pizza and watch TV and do things you're used to sucked the most.

I agree, it's a pump not a filer but it still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.