• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compare Navy OCS to USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepilot33

Try going through OCS in Quantico in the winter. I just graduated OCC-185 two days ago and what a journey those two-and-a-half months were. This winter was one of the worst on record. The entire second week was spent outdoors in temperatures below 20º, what an eye opening experience that was. Yes PT in extremely demanding and about 12 people were NPQ'd for stress fractures. Our class started out at 207 and 155 of us graduated. SULE II and SULE X were almost impossible at certain points. SULE X is going to be even more demanding for the OCC-186 class too....these words directly from the mouth of my platoon sergeant. I cannot imagine it being any harder then it was. For those who will have the opportunity to embark on it this summer....I WISH YOU THE BEST.

2nd Lt. Cotta

stevew

I don't mean to be a threadjacker but what is this about SULE X? what is it? I saw it on the OCS website but have no clue what it is. Can any 185 graduates fill us in?

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
There is no doubt that geographically speaking Pensacola is a much better place to be trained over Quantico. Hell over anywhere. And it never really gets below freezing.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Still wondering about the commment made earlier about the 12 hours between chows for the Navy OCS...was that just a typo?

I think he was referring to the 12 (more like 13-14) hours between dinner and breakfast. Didn't mind it too much myself, but I always took advantage of those midrats during the graveyard watches!

mizzoufan

gunnydhe,
I took the ASTB about a week ago, and they still showed the video. Macklin walking up and getting "directed" to where he was suppost to go. It was great. The guy I was watching the video with wasn't so sure he wanted to go to OCS after watching you in action.

bbennett73

gunnydhe,

That video was pretty cool. All I could do was laugh and think how much this is going to suck!

I was also wondering how much you had to censor yourself. Did you have to hold back for the camera?

-BB

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
bbennett73 said:
gunnydhe,

That video was pretty cool. All I could do was laugh and think how much this is going to suck!

I was also wondering how much you had to censor yourself. Did you have to hold back for the camera?

-BB
BB,

Do not worry yourself over the video. Just show up in good shape and keep your mouth shut. Be ready to do some time management like you have never had to do before and ready to burn the midnight oil. Good luck!

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
x-wing said:
wwhat are the academics like in navy and marine ocs?

In Navy OCS, academics are pure memorization... if you're good at regurgitating information you'll do well.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
gunnydhe

So why has the Navy used Marine DIs for their OCS? DOn't they have RDCs good enough for that? (That is to do it without help from our beloved Corps.)

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
each navy OCS class is run by a naval officer, a navy chief and a marine DI.
The primary purpose of the DI is to teach drill. Since you will almost never drill in the fleet marines have a lot more experience in that regard. There are some scary chiefs at OCS too.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Through API and Primary, I have made quite a few Navy friends. Not once did I ever try to compare one OCS to the other, but I did ask a lot of questions just out of curiosity. Marine OCS and Navy OCS are 2 different animals, it's like the everlasting argument "Whats tougher, Marine OCS or Marine Boot Camp", it's just hard to compare them. I have a ton of respect for the Navy guys who go through OCS, but still like to give ROTC and Acadamey guys a hard time. all in good nature of course (especially Marine acadamey guys)

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
virtu050

virtu050 said:
each navy OCS class is run by a naval officer, a navy chief and a marine DI.
The primary purpose of the DI is to teach drill. Since you will almost never drill in the fleet marines have a lot more experience in that regard. There are some scary chiefs at OCS too.
Thanks! I appreciate the info.

gunnydhe

gunnydhe
USMCBebop said:
Thanks! I appreciate the info.
Well I see someone has answered your question for me. We all know that you will not drill out in the fleet. Its purpose is too instill discipline and response to orders. So our mission there is first discipline. Then we run the PT program, the daily routine, Battalion procedures, and the list goes on and on. It would have been nice if all I had to do was teach drill, my days would have been much shorter. As far as scary Chiefs, give me a break.

The tradition of Marines at OCS comes from the days of AOCS and goes as far back as 1946. Hope I helped. Semper Fi.

GTodd

I'm back, got my surgery almost ready to go back.
One thanks Gunnery Sgt for answering all of these questions.
Two are you in the video that they show b4 you leave 4 OCS? That video is awesome, being picked up was just like what the video showed. Marine OCS wa so much fun I get to do it again!!!!! Man I hate the quigley.

Status
Not open for further replies.