• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compare Navy OCS to USMC OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
One other thing I forgot to mention is that there is no "rolling back" at USMC OCS. You have to deal with injuries or go home. I found that to be very stressful. I was always worried that I'd get hurt too badly to continue and have to start the whole thing over the next summer from the beginning (if I was lucky). We had about a 75% attrition rate that summer, the majority was due to injuries. Leadership was a close second.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
We had about a 75% attrition rate that summer

:eek: :eek: Did you substitute baseball bats for pugil sticks??

Clearly have little experience, but from talking to friends that seems really, really high. PLC or Bulldog?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
One other thing I forgot to mention is that there is no "rolling back" at USMC OCS. You have to deal with injuries or go home. I found that to be very stressful.

That's a good point. USMC OCS only has one class going at a time, unlike Navy OCS where a new class comes aboard every other week...and sometimes every week depending on the time of year.

MasterHaynes86

USMC OCS rocks... GREAT PT, you always have something to do, you learn how to verse the most retarded of subjects in 300 words, leadership activities followed by a review from your staff... USMC OCS is a great experience :) You wont love every moment, but you wont hate every moment either.

As for a difference, im sure its the PT, food, and some classes (IE: war for USMC will focus on USMC and prior bada$$es).

Heck, I dont know. All I know is USMC OCS has pushed me beyond any physical and mental limits I EVER set. I'm not sure the Navy would have done that for me, but I can't speak for how rough it would be for me since I've never gone.

we started with 60 men and left with 35. Attrition due to NPQ, one stubborn guy dind't want to be NPQed and he was REALLY hurt and he got dropped for run failure, some DOR, and a case or two of cellulitis. And I know of at least 3 more from my Jrs platoon that aren't returning to Srs. So we had near 50% attrition for PLC Jrs :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
:eek: :eek: Did you substitute baseball bats for pugil sticks??

Clearly have little experience, but from talking to friends that seems really, really high. PLC or Bulldog?

PLC-Combined. Keep in mind that the 10 week version has more medical attrites than the two 6 week version simply because there's no "break" or other chance to heal. Overall though, I'd rather do it all at once. I'd hate to have to come back for the second 6 weeks. Once you're there, it's more palatable to just get it all done at once, providing you don't get hurt.

As far as "pushing yourself to the limit" goes, I feel that I was pushed very hard at both places. It's apples and oranges to an extent due to different training objectives. AOCS tried to make an officer out of you. Marine OCS was a ten week long try-out. They "make" all the Marine officers at TBS out of the ones who made it through the "try-out".

By the way, I don't know how the merge from AOCS to OCS affected the standards of training, but I've heard it's eased up quite a bit. Anybody have any more recent experience (i.e didn't graduate in the 80's) want to shed some light on the new standards?

BlkPny

pilot
Agree with Harrier Dude about the MC "try out". I had one kid go through Navy OCS and one go through PLC at about the same time, about a year ago. Daughter, Navy, thought there was alot of mind-screwing games, losts of harrassment. She was shocked, however, at the poor physical preparation most of the candidates had, esp the females. In her class, only she and a male SEAL wannabe maxed the PT test, and she has never thought of herself as a jock. She was embarrassed by the lack of preparation and effort by most of the females. Several roll-backs from day one.
All in all, Navy OCS seems to be trying to make you into an officer, like it or not.

My son didn't think there were that many "games" at PLC, jr or sr. He is a really good athlete, and he found himself in the middle on the pack. Constant stress. Never failed an evolution, but never the top, either. He felt PLC was very intense, very challenging, esp srs. He felt that everyone who made it through the first few days was very well prepared physically, and from then on they just wanted to give you every opportunity to quit. Like Harrier Dude said, more of an initiation. They seem to use TBS to teach the survivors how to be officers.
All in all, USMC OCS is much more physical, and much more stress is put on leadership.

I went through AOCS years ago, and yes, Navy OCS has changed.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
PLC-Combined. Keep in mind that the 10 week version has more medical attrites than the two 6 week version simply because there's no "break" or other chance to heal. Overall though, I'd rather do it all at once. I'd hate to have to come back for the second 6 weeks. Once you're there, it's more palatable to just get it all done at once, providing you don't get hurt.

As far as "pushing yourself to the limit" goes, I feel that I was pushed very hard at both places. It's apples and oranges to an extent due to different training objectives. AOCS tried to make an officer out of you. Marine OCS was a ten week long try-out. They "make" all the Marine officers at TBS out of the ones who made it through the "try-out".

Coming back for seniors is an experience that haunts my dreams to this day. It was just bloody aweful coming back to that swamp that is Brown Field. I agree, 10-week is the way to go. If I had to do it again (my family would have to be held hostage or something) ... then I'd go combined. They pretty much just cram everything in jrs. and srs. into that last 6 weeks, you even repeat alot of stuff. You don't have time for much, and your body takes a fierce beating. Our attrition rate was only about 35% though.

Delta

Marine OCS Applicant
Coming back for seniors is an experience that haunts my dreams to this day. It was just bloody aweful coming back to that swamp that is Brown Field. I agree, 10-week is the way to go. If I had to do it again (my family would have to be held hostage or something) ... then I'd go combined. They pretty much just cram everything in jrs. and srs. into that last 6 weeks, you even repeat alot of stuff. You don't have time for much, and your body takes a fierce beating. Our attrition rate was only about 35% though.

How is the 10-week regimented differently than the 2 6-weeks? (just curious, because im a senior in college now, so i'll have to go 10 weeks after grad). You just dont have to deal w/ the first week of physicals twice?

Lawman

None
How is the 10-week regimented differently than the 2 6-weeks? (just curious, because im a senior in college now, so i'll have to go 10 weeks after grad). You just dont have to deal w/ the first week of physicals twice?

10 week has a lot more lead in time to it. You almost spend the first 3 weeks getting aclimated to your new station in life (IE Candidate). Seniors was all the required stuff from the 10 week program minus the time for recovery. You hit the ground running at Seniors with the expectation that you should have been smart enough to remember how much things sucked at Juniors and prepaired yourself accordingly. Really the biggest difference is the PT and time between field stuff. For example 10 weekers dont run the Endurance course or CRT until about week 7. Seniors had done both twice by the end of week 2. Key thing is 10 weeks gives your body a much longer time to break down to badly to go on. Plenty of people limped across the 6 week finish line but would have been dead if they had to do the full 10 stretch. You simply run out of days you can be on sick call before they have to drop you for failure to evaluate. Keep in mind your not sleeping enough for your body to actually heal just feel a little better. Thats one of the reasons you get liberty. Its your oppertunity to do something effective with your time off, IE shop for needed stuff (moleskin, good socks, compression shorts) and to get some good sleep and good chow.

Delta

Marine OCS Applicant
10 week has a lot more lead in time to it. You almost spend the first 3 weeks getting aclimated to your new station in life (IE Candidate). Seniors was all the required stuff from the 10 week program minus the time for recovery. You hit the ground running at Seniors with the expectation that you should have been smart enough to remember how much things sucked at Juniors and prepaired yourself accordingly. Really the biggest difference is the PT and time between field stuff. For example 10 weekers dont run the Endurance course or CRT until about week 7. Seniors had done both twice by the end of week 2. Key thing is 10 weeks gives your body a much longer time to break down to badly to go on. Plenty of people limped across the 6 week finish line but would have been dead if they had to do the full 10 stretch. You simply run out of days you can be on sick call before they have to drop you for failure to evaluate. Keep in mind your not sleeping enough for your body to actually heal just feel a little better. Thats one of the reasons you get liberty. Its your oppertunity to do something effective with your time off, IE shop for needed stuff (moleskin, good socks, compression shorts) and to get some good sleep and good chow.

thanks

HueyCobra8151

pilot
BTW, I only now realized the irony of Airwarriors.com

If you start a new post for a question that has already been asked everyone yells at you and says "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!"

But if you use the search function and find a post in your general line of questioning, then tack on your question to it, everyone yells "HOLY CRAP THREAD RESURRECTION!!!!!!"

(I only realized that because I was thinking in my head as I read this "HOLY CRAP THREAD RESURRECTION!!!!!!")

My son didn't think there were that many "games" at PLC, jr or sr. He is a really good athlete, and he found himself in the middle on the pack. Constant stress. Never failed an evolution, but never the top, either. He felt PLC was very intense, very challenging, esp srs. He felt that everyone who made it through the first few days was very well prepared physically, and from then on they just wanted to give you every opportunity to quit.

The real "mind game" at OCS wasn't necessarily them messing with you. The thing that farked my head up was when you would get a chit or an unfavorable evaluation [like when I got an unfavorable as Plt Sgt because the Corpsman made me get medevac'd, along with 30% of the rest of our Company], then you are in your rack at night wondering if you are going to get sent home or what.

I am a prior, so there were quite a few times where I was up at night thinking of strategies like: "Ok, if I get kicked out, I can lat-move to a critically short MOS, try and pick up SSgt, put in for DI duty or something, and maybe get my career back on track after this adverse fitrep." Not fun.

Edit: There was a guy at OCS when I went through who tore his quad, and the muscle retracted into a giant ball right underneath his hip and he gutted it out IOT to not have to come back the next summer. Pretty hard.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Edit: There was a guy at OCS when I went through who tore his quad, and the muscle retracted into a giant ball right underneath his hip and he gutted it out IOT to not have to come back the next summer. Pretty hard.

Jesus, that guy must have big clanging brass ones.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Holy crap! I would almost call shenanigans on this one. I have seen someone tear a bicep, it was pretty gnarly, and he lost the ability to move his arm. Not to mention the atrophy his muscle went through during the whole repair process.

I can't imagine the physical therapy involved in getting his muscle back to where it was supposed to be in this guys leg. I guess if he only tore one of his quad muscles he could still walk or run (I wouldn't want to though).

Did you keep in touch with this guy after you commissioned? The guy with the bicep was out for about 6 months, and he got his repaired right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.