• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissary Surcharge

helo_wifey

And if I may wax nostalgic about grocery stores, I'd kill for a place like Jungle Jim's here (any Cincinnati natives?).

We used to drive past that place going to grannies house. It always had palm trees which they surprisingly kept alive. We never shopped there but the fruit always looked good. We'd go Krogering.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
We used to drive past that place going to grannies house. It always had palm trees which they surprisingly kept alive. We never shopped there but the fruit always looked good. We'd go Krogering.

Whenever I go back to visit, I always make it a point to go there, even if it's just to look. Also, you never know when you'll get the urge to have some ostrich jerkey.

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
I did not go to a Commissary for years after my first trip because it was so bad. I went on some random weekday to the big one near the hospital in Pensacola. As I walked the aisles, the wrong way at first, I started encountering a lot of older people. I soon found out that 90% of the patrons that day were retirees, and they were mean :eek: :confused: . I have yet to run into so many mean old people at once again. I did not know any of the 'rules' or 'etiquette' of the Commissary and was constantly reminded of it by many very surly older people. I did not even know about the big line for checkouts and got yelled at for it :( .

I had nightmares about my experience at the Commissary for years afterward.

This is very true. I have been stationed down here in P'cola for almost 4 years and to be honest, I avoid the commissary like the plague. Aside from the drones upon drones of retirees making their daily pilgrimage in lieu dying, the commissary isn’t that appealing. Most are outdated, small, and between finding parking and standing in line FOREVER it’s just not worth it.

Not that I’m a big fan of Wal-Mart either, but I do have to say that there is one just off of base (about a mile from the Commissary on Navy Blvd) that is extremely nice and CLEAN. The best part is you don’t feel as if you need a pass-port or tetanus shot to walk in there (if you’ve ever been to a Wal-Mart in the south, you’ll know what I mean). The produces is far and above anything you could ever hope to get at the commissary, they offer generics on most everything (i.e. sugar, coffee…), and the meat/seafood in about the same you’ll get at the commissary. If you put in a little thought into what you buy, you’ll save just as much, if not more, buying out in town, AND you won’t have worry about carrying in a few bucks for a tip.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
.. you don’t feel as if you need a pass-port or tetanus shot to walk in there (if you’ve ever been to a Wal-Mart in the south, you’ll know what I mean).

Yeah, I think I would take my chances at the Commissary vs the Wal-Mart in Milton. I swear I could write a very interesting (and best selling) book about my expirences in the Wal-Mart parking lot and store alone. Each time I go there I want to crawl up into the rafters with my .30-06 with about 30 rds and do everyone a favor. This is the dirty south, fo show. :icon_help

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Ahh, yes, a bitching sailor is a happy sailor. Glad to see so many happy faces.:D

The Commissary and Exchange systems were put in place to support the military Camp Followers AKA dependents. The current surcharge has remained unchanged since about 1982, at 5% of purchase. It is placed in a fund for commissary construction, modernazation and etc. Actually, have heard that surcharges go way back to the Civil War Navy, or so I remember.:(

There have been concerted efforts by the major super market chains and retailer chains, Circuit City for one, to eliminate the commissary and exchange systems, especially in those areas where better facilities are readily available, such as Pensacola, Norfolk, WashDC Metro and etc. The fact of a surchage has gone far to blunt the assault on this "non-pay" benefit While I have not shopped at a commissary in some 30 plus years, so have no first hand knowledge on the subject. I did buy the new Sharp 52 inch LCD for Christmas :eek: ahh.. holidays:D , saved about $800 vs.a.vs Circuit City the only other place that had them.

Some old history. I was stationed on Duva Duva 506 (that is the WW2 - the big one- logistics address for Guam) in 1956 when our ships store was eliminated and replaced by the newly established Navy Exchange System. I think our camel cigs went from .52 to .65 a carton. The was threats of mutiny all around as in that era of downsizing of the military after Korean War, threatened the commissary and exchange system. Of course on Guam, on the local market fresh veggies, eggs, milk and so many many items were not available. Yeah, you could buy froozen eggs, powdered milk etc, but the commissary had fresh. Hey baby! We lived through it. Adak, AK also comes to mind. The only source for the Camp Followers were the comissary and exchange. Probably others.

Well sir, then I was off to the Territory of Hawaii. Local merchants of all types were fighting the commissary and exchange system, as well as pols that saw a source of tax revenues from non voting military folks. Long story but I organized and maintained a system for off-duty sailors to provide bagging services at the Barbers Point NAS. Tips were good, back then an E-3 made about $120 a month. Some baggers made $30 a day in tips! I still hear from folks that worked for me back in those days. They still appreciate it.

In the early 1990, DECA was established. It merged all service commissaries under one command. That is what we have today. DECA is located in Defense General Supply in Ft. Lee, VA.

Recent trip to Tokyo. Invited to a friends house for dinner. I promised to bring ingredients. I stopped by Hardy Barracks filled up my SUV tank with gasoline at the post gasoline station, I saved almost $90 bucks over civilian prices. On to Sano Hotel NEX, purchased a suit, saved about $400 over outside prices, picked up two bottles of fine wine and two fifths of Old Parr Scotch, saved about $450. Drove down to Yokohama and went to the commissary. Purchased tenderloin at $4.50 pound over $35.00 pound in civilian markets, 2 cantaloupes for .75, $25.00 each on local market, and so on and so on. I saved enough in the one day to pay for the Aussie "Tour Guide" that "showed me around Tokyo" that evening, well almost enough to pay for it, not including TIP. :icon_wink :icon_wink

Also went to the Embassy Commissary - purchased a dozen genuine Cuban cigars. Outside the US, so completely legal, plus, RHIP.

Point is that in cushy Pensacola with a lot of choices, those two benefits may not mean very much. But, go to Germany and see how much you appreciate the benefit. On the other hand, there are a lot of folks out there that would just love to see those benefits go away.

Careful what you wish for.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Good stuff; and thanks for the history sesson, Chief. I can remember being outraged when a carton of Marlboro's went for $1 ... sounds like you beat us .....:)

*Cough* ... *Cough* ... *Wheeze*

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
helo_wifey;293788 ... the Commissary located at their building?[/QUOTE said:
It is on the Embassy grounds up by the living quarters. Believe it is restricted to Embassy personnel. I was there on a State Dept mission, ergo access.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Okay, my wife is a foodie and has been spoiled by the Bay Area. When we get to Pensacola it sounds like the supermarkets suck but are there any farmers markets and/or organic markets???

Can't remember about any farmer's markets but I know there's a pretty decent little grocery store on Scenic Hwy called Apple Market. Best produce in Pcola from what I can recall. The Albertson's on Bayou isn't bad either.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kills me about the 5% charge is that they can't call it a state sales tax, which here in Virginia it is equivalent to. If they did that I could deduct it on my taxes. The money saved, though, is well worth it...and tipping the "kids" who are the beggers...I mean baggers...still doesn't make the bill more than shopping out in town. I guess if they paid them they'd have to raise prices to cover the wage. And on that note, most of the baggers I see look more like Yoda than they do teenagers.

And if I may wax nostalgic about grocery stores, I'd kill for a place like Jungle Jim's here (any Cincinnati natives?).

Wow... I used to live in Fairfield and that place was right up the road. Talk about buying useless stuff just because it was exotic.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The 5% plus what you tip comes out the same as a tax at other stores. If you are in South Texas, I suggest shopping at HEB! The stores in San Antonio were the best grocery stores I have ever been in - especially the new ones. The Produce was great and even the HEB brand was good. I miss HEB.

Fresh tortillas!