• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissary Surcharge

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Like a bunch of mice looking for the cheese reward. The only problem is you usually end of with a sh!tload of cheese at the checkout.

That and you are so damn hungry by the time you get through you need to buy some Swedish snacks at the end of the maze.

jpm269

pilot
I dont post much due to the fact that I never really have anything beneficial to add but for this topic I do want to say thank you. I saw the commissary title and I knew people were going to be in here b!tching about why you have to tip the baggers and I am very surprised that there was not one person complaining about it. Well, the fact is that you dont. It is your option to tip or not to tip. I mean if you carry your own stuff out then why tip. Now, if you have a few carts and the bagger brings and loads your car you better make the effort to tip or at least say thank you. My mom was a bagger and the only money she brought home was tips. My dad was enlisted and we struggled but we made it work. So I say thank you to all for not b!tching about it and tipping your baggers if they deserve it.

bulldozer3

pilot
i dont have any problems with the commissary, but the NEX has horrible prices on electronics. anything else and they are pretty good, but DVD's, games, cameras, etc are about 30 % higher than what you could find at a best buy or walmart type store, or even more online. Ive bought a dvd for 4.99 before then saw it in walmart for 20 bucks. Looking at a new digital camera now, and the NEX will be 400 bucks, and its 270 online from amazon or walmart. Problem is overseas you cant price match to 'local stores'... at least not in japan since stuff out in town is so expensive to begin with.

Fred

When it comes to the Commisary and Tipping the baggers, how much do you tip? Do you tip $2.00 or do you tip per bag?

Also, being a "Military Brat" I remember a lot of teenagers working at the commisary during the summer. Now all I see are senior citizens.

$5 per $100.

I go on off times, almost always avoid long lines, and easily save 30% over local grocery stores. Which amounts to close to $3000 a year for our family of six. Well worth the 25min drive to me.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....It is your option to tip or not to tip. I mean if you carry your own stuff out then why tip. ....
I usually tip even when I carry out a bag or two by myself ... especially if I know 'em .... give 'em a buck ... I figure it goes like this:

I just saved 30% on my groceries -- average --- and the baggers work for tips and I've got a heck of a lot more money than most of these kids ... so I do it.

I USED to be a kid and work for a living, as well ... :)

BlkPny

pilot
For an Old Guy, it truly makes one's chest swell with pride to open AirWarriors and discover today's elite Naval Aviators, the legacy of 75 years of courage, bravery, and selfless service in defense of our great country, talking about grocery stores.
Fight on, brave young warriors of the skies! Your country stands in awe of your prowess and skill! Fight on, brave knights of the open skies and endless seas! A trembling nation looks to you for its defense against those who would destroy us!
And pick me up a Snickers and a National Enquirer while you're in the check-out line.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For an Old Guy, it truly makes one's chest swell with pride to open AirWarriors and discover today's elite Naval Aviators, the legacy of 75 years of courage, bravery, and selfless service in defense of our great country, talking about grocery stores.....
The pussification of the American male continues......:icon_rage

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For an Old Guy, it truly makes one's chest swell with pride to open AirWarriors and discover today's elite Naval Aviators, the legacy of 75 years of courage, bravery, and selfless service in defense of our great country, talking about grocery stores.
Fight on, brave young warriors of the skies! Your country stands in awe of your prowess and skill! Fight on, brave knights of the open skies and endless seas! A trembling nation looks to you for its defense against those who would destroy us!
And pick me up a Snickers and a National Enquirer while you're in the check-out line.

Didn't I just say that? ;)

Brett

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The draw down of the military after VietNam saw the reduction of the DoD's budget. The easiest attack was Special Services for the Military member. Clubs, Commissaries and the Exchange system were subsidized from the budget to keep the prices low. When the subsidies ran out these systems had to "reorganize" themselves to become profitable. AAFES and the MCEX/NEX systems were born. To keep overhead stable, the 5% surcharge was created. To entice people to shop on base, McDonald's won the first contract (I think 1978) as the first civilian food operator allowed on board a goverment reservation. What is common place now was monumental for those of kids living on base. Up until the 70's, 75% of personnel lived on base. Today, I believe the number is lower then 25% but don't quote me on that fact.
The Club system has never recovered and probably will be gone within the next decade. Who knows?
One thing I have did miss was the base bus system. You could travel anywhere on base via a regular bus service. E-5's and below had to live on base and marriage was frowned upon and car ownership was not allowed. The buses were always in use. The Base bus system died almost instantaneously.
Just a little history from a DoD's kid.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

And Catherine Zeta-Jones occasionally has to take a dump, too. Disillusioning, I know.

Even a genuine war hero still needs to pick up some frozen pizzas and light bulbs now and then.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Okay, my wife is a foodie and has been spoiled by the Bay Area. When we get to Pensacola it sounds like the supermarkets suck but are there any farmers markets and/or organic markets???

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
What kills me about the 5% charge is that they can't call it a state sales tax, which here in Virginia it is equivalent to. If they did that I could deduct it on my taxes. The money saved, though, is well worth it...and tipping the "kids" who are the beggers...I mean baggers...still doesn't make the bill more than shopping out in town. I guess if they paid them they'd have to raise prices to cover the wage. And on that note, most of the baggers I see look more like Yoda than they do teenagers.

And if I may wax nostalgic about grocery stores, I'd kill for a place like Jungle Jim's here (any Cincinnati natives?).