• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissary Surcharge

snake020

Contributor
I don't understand why they don't just factor 5% more into the prices. It'd get less people fired up.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
One of my understandings on the surcharge is to support the smaller commissaries. Being stationed at White Sands Missile Range there was a commissary there, but the base population was quite small. I heard that the commissary there was constantly in the red due to the small population. It is my understanding that the surcharge goes to ensure that commissaries like the one on that post are able to stay in operation.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
WEgmans

Wegmans, that place is a grocery store that I like to shop in......and that is saying something. With Whole Foods and Trader Joes in this area too I am in foodie heaven. Not only that, the closest commisary is 45 minutes away, not very convienient.

I'm not sure where you live, But their is a commissary on Ft Myer, in Arlington, VA about 2 mins to the Pentagon. Also I think Bolling AFB in DC as one as well. If not Ft Belvior is not to far for someone in the VA metro.

I will have to say that Wegmans is the $hit. When My parents came to visit me I took them there and they thought they were on a different planet. It is that good. They spent like 2hrs there.

But I will say that the surcharge is a crock of bull.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I just came back from the commissary. I asked the butcher if there were any veal cuts he said:

Veal...? Whats that... lamb? No we don't have that.

HiLarious!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HOWEVER, it can sometimes be more trouble than its worth. As Gatordev pointed out, they can sometimes be too far of a drive to make it worth it.

Let's not forget about the legions of dependent zombies that infest the aisles +/- 2 days from pay day, and the lines they create during check out. Commissaries are great for your MK 1 Mod 0 airman w/ wife and kids who are pinching pennies. For the rest of us, our time is more valuable than standing around as though we were back in some Soviet era breadline.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Let's not forget about the legions of dependent zombies that infest the aisles +/- 2 days from pay day, and the lines they create during check out.

Brett

Or when your behind that 2/C Midshipman, whose hitting on all the cashiers he went to high school with, and looks like a small town hero now...:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If only Publix what? I grew up going to supermarkets such as Stater Bros, Luckys, Safeway, and Albertsons. None of them beat Publix with respect to overall cleanliness, selection, and quality of meat and produce. Plus, none of them sell Publix subs which I happen to love. Up in Rhode Island, we had Stop n Shop and Shaws. Stop n Shop blows, but Shaws was actually pretty good....nice produce, meat, and decent selection of organic food. Downside is they are friggin expensive as hell.

Personally, I think Publix either needs to start selling more organic food or Whole Foods needs to open up a place in Gainesville (preferably the west side of town :D )

I understand all of this. However, there is no Publix in the greater Pensacola area. The nearest one is in Ft. Walton. I mean there's one in Huntsville, for crying out loud! Rumor has it one is coming, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's no sign by where the building is, but everyone is sure a non-SuperTarget is coming.

Flash:

I grew up w/ Giant, living in MD when I was elementry and middle school. Guess that's why I remember good things.

Schmuck

By far the nicest grocery store I've ever been in is at the Albertsons in Jackson Hole, WY.

My recommendation is, if you can, do your shopping at the Albertson's in Jackson Hole.

That liquor store is the $hiznit!!! Went there for a week during X-mas in 2001 and spent every night in the wine bar upstairs. But yeah I second that, do all of your shopping there.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I grew up w/ Giant, living in MD when I was elementry and middle school. Guess that's why I remember good things.

There is a nice Giant near my parents house out in the MD suburbs and it's always been great. Adult cashiers is a big plus compared to the teenagers most places have... but yeah... the Giant near where I went to school... in a less affluent area was pretty crappy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this what we've reduced ourselves to? Waxing prophetic about the merits of one grocery store vs. another? Clearly, the terrorists have won. :D

Brett

Sabre170

None
When it comes to the Commisary and Tipping the baggers, how much do you tip? Do you tip $2.00 or do you tip per bag?

Also, being a "Military Brat" I remember a lot of teenagers working at the commisary during the summer. Now all I see are senior citizens.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When it comes to the Commisary and Tipping the baggers, how much do you tip? Do you tip $2.00 or do you tip per bag?

Also, being a "Military Brat" I remember a lot of teenagers working at the commisary during the summer. Now all I see are senior citizens.
A buck or two for a few bags....five bucks for a full load.