• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissary Surcharge

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Nope, the terrorists have lost... Because we have Harris Teeter... ;)

There is a grocery store in the bay area called Draeger's. Ridiculously expensive. If you are a froofy new-age tech company CEO and Whole Foods just isn't exclusive enough, then you have the help shop at Draegers.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's not forget about the legions of dependent zombies that infest the aisles +/- 2 days from pay day, and the lines they create during check out. Commissaries are great for your MK 1 Mod 0 airman w/ wife and kids who are pinching pennies. For the rest of us, our time is more valuable than standing around as though we were back in some Soviet era breadline.

Brett

I did not go to a Commissary for years after my first trip because it was so bad. I went on some random weekday to the big one near the hospital in Pensacola. As I walked the aisles, the wrong way at first, I started encountering a lot of older people. I soon found out that 90% of the patrons that day were retirees, and they were mean :eek: :confused: . I have yet to run into so many mean old people at once again. I did not know any of the 'rules' or 'etiquette' of the Commissary and was constantly reminded of it by many very surly older people. I did not even know about the big line for checkouts and got yelled at for it :( .

I had nightmares about my experience at the Commissary for years afterward.

KSUFLY

pilot
I did not go to a Commissary for years after my first trip because it was so bad. I went on some random weekday to the big one near the hospital in Pensacola. As I walked the aisles, the wrong way at first, I started encountering a lot of older people. I soon found out that 90% of the patrons that day were retirees, and they were mean :eek: :confused: . I have yet to run into so many mean old people at once again. I did not know any of the 'rules' or 'etiquette' of the Commissary and was constantly reminded of it by many very surly older people. I did not even know about the big line for checkouts and got yelled at for it :( .

I had nightmares about my experience at the Commissary for years afterward.

Which "rules" and "etiquette" are you talking about?

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot

Here's one..., like don't push your cart right up next to the meat counters and shop (this would be normal), instead you need to park your shopping chart 3 feet away like the rest of the jack @$$es, and walk up and select your meat. Their are usually 10 shopping carts lined up. Old people suck

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You don't see it as much now, but some commissaries have one way aisles with arrows on the floor, and the whole weird checkout process. They've adopted that style of "directed traffic" at Fry's Electronics here in SOCAL.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't see it as much now, but some commissaries have one way aisles with arrows on the floor, and the whole weird checkout process. They've adopted that style of "directed traffic" at Fry's Electronics here in SOCAL.

Brett
One of the relatively few things I miss about San Dog....that Fry's is awesome!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the relatively few things I miss about San Dog....that Fry's is awesome!

The only place I know of where you can shop for electronic parts without a salesman crawling up your ass, like at Radio Shack. Their resistor/capacitor aisle is as big as a whole Radio Shack store.

Brett

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
RetreadRand said:
They did that at the IKEA in Germany...
I felt trapped...you could not wonder aimlessly without all the Germans giving you strange looks...and getting pissed because you don't follow their models of efficiency

All of the IKEAs I have been to in the states have "directed traffic." I think that is the business plan.

boobcheese

I hate IKEA. Its not their merchandise but the layout of the store itself. Its intentionally designed like a maze and they have employees strategically stationed to tell you that 'you can't go this way' or 'you can't go through that door'. I just smile politely and then go where I please. The only alternative is to follow their preplanned path through the entire store which takes a good hour.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only alternative is to follow their preplanned path through the entire store which takes a good hour.
Like a bunch of mice looking for the cheese reward. The only problem is you usually end of with a sh!tload of cheese at the checkout.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The two ones that I remember are the ones that people already mentioned, one-way aisles and one big line for checkout. Instead of politely trying to correct me I got yelled at by 70 year-old men and women......not a fun experience........:D

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
That is the biggest negative in Florida with the commissaries...the elderly population. Most places, as long as you avoid the commissary on a payday or weekend you will miss the big crowds. At MacDill outside Tampa you can go any freakin' time and it is packed with grumpy ole retirees, all anxious to hit you in the ankle with their cart. :icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Commissary is a great deal ...quit fighting it .... and even with it's weaknesses ... to eat: you will save @ 30%+ overall on any given day ....

Only a cheapskate would quibble @ a 5% markup for "overhead & facilities" ...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That is the biggest negative in Florida with the commissaries...the elderly population. Most places, as long as you avoid the commissary on a payday or weekend you will miss the big crowds. At MacDill outside Tampa you can go any freakin' time and it is packed with grumpy ole retirees, all anxious to hit you in the ankle with their cart. :icon_rage

And again, it begs the question. Is that worth the drive/effort (it's more rhetorical than an actual question)? That's a pretty good haul to go from the PIE area down to Crash-Mabry.