• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissary Surcharge

boobcheese

My wife went and bought groceries at the commissary today and noticed under the sub-total on the reciept there was listed "Total SCG" for $8.21 which was exactly 5% of the total bill. I had never noticed this before but assumed it must be some sort of surcharge and a call to the commissary confirmed this. I had always thought that one of the primary advantages to shopping at the commissary/exchange was that you didn't get taxed. While I understand that it may not technically be a 'tax' it amounts to the same thing and whats worse is that in FL groceries aren't normally subject to sales tax anyway. While many items are priced more competitively than you could find out in town I don't think they are actually selling the merchandise at cost so I would imagine they could cover their operating expenses without 'taxing' us further. The bottom line is that we could probably save the trip to the commissary and come out about the same going to the local Wal-mart especially since they offer generic brands for many items (I'm not a total cheap skate but Wal-Mart brand coffee tastes the same as Folgers to me). I don't know if there is a similar surcharge at the exchange but I just wanted to throw it out there for those of you, who like myself, were unaware of this policy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The only time I've shopped in a commissary regularly was in Hawaii, just because it was dramatically cheaper for certain items (usually dairy and meat). Otherwise, the commissaries are always too far away to be worth my trouble.

Sabre170

None
The 5% plus what you tip comes out the same as a tax at other stores. If you are in South Texas, I suggest shopping at HEB! The stores in San Antonio were the best grocery stores I have ever been in - especially the new ones. The Produce was great and even the HEB brand was good. I miss HEB.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By far the nicest grocery store I've ever been in is at the Albertsons in Jackson Hole, WY.

On that note, the 5% surcharge is rediculously cheap when compared to the money you save by shopping there. When you compare the commissary item for item to a store out in town, the commissary is much cheaper. HOWEVER, it can sometimes be more trouble than its worth. As Gatordev pointed out, they can sometimes be too far of a drive to make it worth it. Also, in the last few years I've noticed the quality of their produce and meat has gone down dramatically. The other thing that can be a royal pain in the ass is they only carry certain brands and certain products of those brands. I have never been able to fully complete my grocery shopping at the commissary. I've always had to go to a grocery store out in town, whether it was for produce, meat, or random items the commissary just doesn't carry.

My recommendation is, if you can, do your shopping at the Albertson's in Jackson Hole.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
By-and-large, you will save a lot if you go to the commissary. You're talking 25-35% on average. There are limitations at some of the commissaries in terms of selection (NASWF comes to mind), but by and large you're getting name-brand products at generic prices.

By-and-large, you will save a lot if you go to the commissary. You're talking 25-35% on average. There are limitations at some of the commissaries in terms of selection (NASWF comes to mind), but by and large you're getting name-brand products at generic prices.

agree and especially on the meat...the only thing I sometimes go elsewhere for is the produce......the case lot sales are the best!!!!!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By far the nicest grocery store I've ever been in is at the Albertsons in Jackson Hole, WY.

My recommendation is, if you can, do your shopping at the Albertson's in Jackson Hole.

Wegmans, that place is a grocery store that I like to shop in......and that is saying something. With Whole Foods and Trader Joes in this area too I am in foodie heaven. Not only that, the closest commisary is 45 minutes away, not very convienient.

MasterBates

While the commissary may be cheaper still, what is the deal with the surcharge. I just picked up some food at the NAS JAX commissary to stock my Q room with, and I saw it too...

FWIW, BLDG 11 at NAS JAX is nicer than the VQ at NS Mayport.

boobcheese

This is not something I will lose sleep over but was just unaware that the surcharge existed. On the whole, shopping at the commissary will definitely save you some $$$ (especially on meats and produce) but I wonder if the advertised savings take into account the 5% surcharge. Either way, its just something to be aware of when deciding whether or not its worth it to drive across town to shop at the commissary.

KBayDog

The surcharge is not a tax; it is mandated to cover some of the "overhead."

In my opinion, the commissary is one of our best tangible benefits. In most cases, you will save a lot of money if you comparison shop, use coupons, and look for sales. In areas I've been stationed with higher costs of living - Kaneohe, Quantico, San Diego - the difference was dramatic. In lower cost of living areas - South Carolina, Pensacola - the difference was not as noticeable. In fact, when I lived in Milton, it was not hard to find items that were cheaper at some supermarkets and WalMart than at the commissary. As Phrogdriver said, the selection at NASWF was not that great, so every once in a while we went to Corry. Overall, though, I find the commissary to be worth the trip.

(Note: If at all possible, avoid the commissary on or soon after payday. Go during non-payday weekends. Trust me.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wegmans, that place is a grocery store that I like to shop in......and that is saying something. With Whole Foods and Trader Joes in this area too I am in foodie heaven. Not only that, the closest commisary is 45 minutes away, not very convienient.

No Giant love? I grew up going to Giant and when I was TAD up there last summer I swung by. Still much nicer than the relatively nice Albertson's down here. If only Publix...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Giant love? I grew up going to Giant and when I was TAD up there last summer I swung by. Still much nicer than the relatively nice Albertson's down here. If only Publix...

I grew up on Giant's (I lived in Maryland until college) since they were only 1 mile from the house I grew up in. They were a local company and it definitely showed. But they have gone downhill a bit since they were bought out by Ahold afew years ago.

Go to a Wegmans and you will see what I mean about a really good grocery store, and their prices are great to boot. Their milk is only a few cents more than the Commissary, 10-15 cents, which is always a good measure for me.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I think I was 8 when I first had to wrap my mind around the concept of no tax but surcharge.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If only Publix...
If only Publix what? I grew up going to supermarkets such as Stater Bros, Luckys, Safeway, and Albertsons. None of them beat Publix with respect to overall cleanliness, selection, and quality of meat and produce. Plus, none of them sell Publix subs which I happen to love. Up in Rhode Island, we had Stop n Shop and Shaws. Stop n Shop blows, but Shaws was actually pretty good....nice produce, meat, and decent selection of organic food. Downside is they are friggin expensive as hell.

Personally, I think Publix either needs to start selling more organic food or Whole Foods needs to open up a place in Gainesville (preferably the west side of town :D )