• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chinese Navy Massive build up!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
For some less-strident but substantive analysis on the Chinese naval buildup, here's a link to the very informative report written by the Office of Naval Research.

http://www.onr.navy.mil/about/docs/0703_naval_st_strategy.pdf

Also, here's a link to a study by RAND that shows the Chinese strategy isn't based on "sweep", but playing "zone."

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2007/RAND_MG524.pdf
Also from RAND

Keeping the Pacific:
An American Response to China’s Growing Military Might

BackOrdered

Contributor
the chinese military is capable of sweeping across East and SE asia and up to Australia, i hope they're not as brutal as the Japs WWII military...
But this is not gonna happen anytime soon coz of U.S.

I don't think so. China doesn't have our experience or hindsight when it comes to mass logistics. It isn't as simple as just saying you are going to invade all of Asia. Logistic is a delicate science that we in the US have perfected over decades of real wars and conflicts spanning WWI to today. The logistical effort we displayed in Iraq and Afghanistan in terms of projecting our men and weapons left any other nation on earth in the dust. China on the other hand hasn't nearly the same track record as the US in terms of getting from point A to point B from the other side of the world. Meanwhile we have been researching and perfecting the task as we speak. Having a billion bodies doesn't grant you mobility. It's almost as bad as the time someone suggested the Chinese could invade the US on sheer numbers. Talk is cheap.

As far as their Naval expansion is concerned, I say bring it. It is not a matter of how many ships you have. Our navy has decades of real world experience using our technology with platforms and systems China has just got their hands wet with. By the time the Chinese fleet catches up over some 2 or 3 decades, we will have only excelled that much more once our DDX class destroyers are commissioned.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The sad thing is that is most of you ... nearly ALL of you, in point of fact --- with very few exceptions --- do not understand the Chinese mindset. You just don't; you base your notions on what you "think" they will do based on what our "capabilities" are ..... your posts and your thoughts betray your biases. They --- the ChiComs --- the Chinese --- do not "think" like us nor do they look at our TO&E and wish and hope and plan their global ambitions accordingly ....

You cannot anticipate nor judge THEIR future actions, or their hundreds of years of history and "manifest destiny" mindset, when you apply Western-colored views to Chinese priorities and Chinese determination.

To do so is folly. It is a folly that we cannot afford.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The sad thing is that is most of you ... nearly ALL of you, in point of fact --- with very few exceptions --- do not understand the Chinese mindset. You just don't; you base your notions on what you "think" they will do based on what our "capabilities" are ..... your posts and your thoughts betray your biases. They --- the ChiComs --- the Chinese --- do not "think" like us nor do they look at our TO&E and wish and hope and plan their global ambitions accordingly ....

You cannot anticipate nor judge THEIR future actions, or their hundreds of years of history and "manifest destiny" mindset, when you apply Western-colored views to Chinese priorities and Chinese determination.

To do so is folly. It is a folly that we cannot afford.

While I am no expert on the Chinese mindset, I know enough about the current state of their military and the state of the country as a whole that I am not very worried about a near or near-long term (about 30 years) threat from them. The very long term threat from them is up in the air, but there are so many variables to get to that point it is useless speculating.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
While I am no expert on the Chinese mindset, I know enough .... 30 years .... but there are so many variables to get to that point it is useless speculating.
I'm not speculating. I read tea leaves. Chinese by preference.

Like I said ....
it would be "convenient" for us if they thought like you ... but they don't. They have different viewpoints, goals, priorities, standards, and .... most importantly, they have their own timetable. Fear of Chinese reaction is why Johnson did not pursue the Vietnamese War like he could have/should have .... MacArthur assured Truman that the Red Chinese had neither the means nor the stomach to attack US/UN forces in Korea. I guess we got that one wrong, too.

30 years??? 30 years is nothing to the Oriental. You wouldn't be the first Westerner they have surprised.

I seem to remember the prevailing wisdom said Iraq was going to be a walkover, too .... :)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I'm not speculating. I read tea leaves. Chinese by preference.

Excellent points.

I attended the 1st JCCT held in Beijing in May 1983. As adjunct to this meeting I participated in an evaluation of China's MIC. We were given unfettered access to any and all manufacturing facilities, labs, University Campus' and etc that we wanted to visit. A group of 12 of us trooped across China for two months and saw some incredible things. In summary, in 1983 the state of their manufacturing and lab were primitive to say the least. Their "Long March" missile and launch facilities were pathetic, think the first five launch attempts did not even get off of the pad. As a group we all laughed at their series of 5 Year plans to become World Class suppliers of commerical goods, two focus sectors in particular were micro-electronics and shipbuilding. The results are history. One example: their LNG shipbuilding program is now 1st or 2nd in the world, according to some.

Over two thousand years ago China built a marvelous military command and control system, known to westerners as the "Great Wall of China". Most think it was a wall built out keep out invaders, somewhat, but it was actually a highway, wide enought for chariots/troops to move throughpout the very rugged terrain. A series of watch towers served as communications towers providing near instant alerts to be sent up and down the entire length. Defending forces could move and be controlled easily, a significant advantage over the invaders that had to contend with the rugged mountains.

China has severe domestic problems, as pointed out to me, they have one BILLION more citizens than we do, mouths to feed. They take a very long view. It will take them a very long time to "catch up" to our economic or military strength. But that have came a long long way in the last 24 years.

Rasczak

Marine
So then, at the moment the economic factor is what keeps China at bay from doing anything drastic.
From what I understand from Chiefs post is that they are to busy concerning themselves setting up/repairing their economy. Makes sense. If that's the case, we could take a few lessons from them.

I remember reading not too long ago that the Chinese stock market had taken a serious crash that put them well under what they were at previously...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
So then truth be told, ...

Let me answer this way.

In 1983 we visited a TV manufacturing facility and noted that all of their CRT's were stamped "Made in Taiwan". When ask why, with a sly smile they replied that it was to their advantage, amazing answer for 1983. I suspect that way down on their list of things to do, say 30 to 50 years from now, is a plan to revisit the status of the Autonomous Economic Zone of Taiwan.
More important things to do now, the island is not going to go anywhere.:eek:

Re stock market. China markets are hot, expect corrections over time. I own several stocks. China Mobile (Ticker CHL) has done very well. when it dropped 25% I doubled my holding. Speculative holding to be sure.

Someday

Dude?
yeah

“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

-Lord Palmerston

Trade between China and the U.S. is far more important than Taiwan. They don't need to invade Taiwan to bring it back into the fold. We both prepare for a conflict because it would be imprudent not to, but war is just not in either country's interest.

SD

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

-Lord Palmerston

Trade between China and the U.S. is far more important than Taiwan. They don't need to invade Taiwan to bring it back into the fold. We both prepare for a conflict because it would be imprudent not to, but war is just not in either country's interest.

SD

We prepare for war to achieve our interests that is the reason it is the prudent thing to do...

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
The Naval War College Review had an article on this very subject spring of 2006. I would post a link to it if the website was up. Not sure why its down, I think they may have quit putting their articles on the internet. The growing chinese navy is at least enough of a concern to make it on the War College radar. Anyone that has access to the Review should read the article if nothing else. This is a very complicated situation that is getting a lot of attention at the highest levels. One interesting fact about all this is that the chinese military is having a lot of problems not building ships, but developing the staff for a new fleet, and the article does point that fact out. Along with the fact that for a chinese junior officer the future does seem a lot brighter in the chinese navy than it did even a few years ago. The PLA Navy suffers from the same financial and political realities that plague our military ironically. There is a lot more to developing a capable war machine than building a few ships and planes, and the people that watch this the closest think there are reasons for pause, but we're probably not looking at some force about to wipe out half the world. If this interests you at all, try to get your hands on the spring 2006 Review.