• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell phones on aircraft

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm the proud member of over eleventy thousand WhatsApp groups ?

There's the squadron official, the squadron un-official, the JOPA, the JOPA+DHs, the JOPA+Cool DHs, Paddles, All O's, All Hands, Chiefs+DIVOs, this guys scroll, that guys scroll, this Det Official, that det un-official, this det un-official, that det official......I could go on.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Something I like about GroupMe is that you can whip up a gif meme in no time flat (although there are plenty of perfectly good apps for doing that, some with ads and some without).

Pags

N/A
pilot
GroupMe doesn’t even claim to use encryption.
Most comms in the fleet don't use encryption. Nor does NMCI unless you hit the button but that makes NMCI email useless. I know this drives the OPSEC people bananas but it's about balancing doing work vs being super OPSECy.

Plus, even if you're communicating via "secure" means the historical odds are that they could be unsecure at any moment and we'd never know. The Germans and the Japanese spent most of WWII using supposedly secure comms to conduct their business. Turns out they weren't.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I'm the proud member of over eleventy thousand WhatsApp groups ?

There's the squadron official, the squadron un-official, the JOPA, the JOPA+DHs, the JOPA+Cool DHs, Paddles, All O's, All Hands, Chiefs+DIVOs, this guys scroll, that guys scroll, this Det Official, that det un-official, this det un-official, that det official......I could go on.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Most comms in the fleet don't use encryption. Nor does NMCI unless you hit the button but that makes NMCI email useless. I know this drives the OPSEC people bananas but it's about balancing doing work vs being super OPSECy.

Plus, even if you're communicating via "secure" means the historical odds are that they could be unsecure at any moment and we'd never know. The Germans and the Japanese spent most of WWII using supposedly secure comms to conduct their business. Turns out they weren't.
Inane threadjack, but a couple years ago had to renew my CAC. Apparently, while it renewed just fine on the NMCI side, I was supposed to tell the TRANET folks (TRANET expiration was tied to the old CAC expiration). So I reach out to them, they need my DOD ID# and new expiration date, and mention to encrypt it. I forgot to encrypt it (I literally don't think I've ever encrypted an NMCI email), and they respond back in all caps: THIS NEEDS TO BE ENCRYPTED. RESEND ENCRYPTED. It was like; the cat's already out of the bag, what good does it do for me to resend now, encrypted this time. Info that China already knows anyways, before I sent it unencrypted. Besides, the whole reason we use DOD ID now is so that it at least is not my social (which was also hacked, from OPM).

And yes, have yet to figure out how to read encrypted email from home, always have to have the admin folks resend to my personal email address haha, or wait until I get back on an NMCI machine. Tried enabling S/MIME stuff but never got it to work. Shouldn't the fact I have my CAC and PIN, and it's unclass, be enough to let me read my email?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Our squadron has gone exclusively TEAMS for “official” comms. Really it gets you the flight sked and tasking. Not sure how the two-factor authentication every 18 hours is going to work on deployment (not my problem) but most of the other comms is FB messenger, Slack, or text. I do probably 75% of my comms off Trams and it works...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Inane threadjack, but a couple years ago had to renew my CAC. Apparently, while it renewed just fine on the NMCI side, I was supposed to tell the TRANET folks (TRANET expiration was tied to the old CAC expiration). So I reach out to them, they need my DOD ID# and new expiration date, and mention to encrypt it. I forgot to encrypt it (I literally don't think I've ever encrypted an NMCI email), and they respond back in all caps: THIS NEEDS TO BE ENCRYPTED. RESEND ENCRYPTED. It was like; the cat's already out of the bag, what good does it do for me to resend now, encrypted this time. Info that China already knows anyways, before I sent it unencrypted. Besides, the whole reason we use DOD ID now is so that it at least is not my social (which was also hacked, from OPM).

And yes, have yet to figure out how to read encrypted email from home, always have to have the admin folks resend to my personal email address haha, or wait until I get back on an NMCI machine. Tried enabling S/MIME stuff but never got it to work. Shouldn't the fact I have my CAC and PIN, and it's unclass, be enough to let me read my email?
Imagine if our country just abolished the SSN and established a national ID card system with a new identifier that served in lieu of your SSN, passport #, DoD #/ EDIPI, drivers license #, immigrant visa #, and it was tied directly to your biometrics in a way that was un-hackable, un-steal-able, unforgetable, unique, and could be given out freely to anyone with having to jump through onerous hoops.

Mos

None
Imagine if our country just abolished the SSN and established a national ID card system with a new identifier that served in lieu of your SSN, passport #, DoD #/ EDIPI, drivers license #, immigrant visa #, and it was tied directly to your biometrics in a way that was un-hackable, un-steal-able, unforgetable, unique, and could be given out freely to anyone with having to jump through onerous hoops.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Our squadron has gone exclusively TEAMS for “official” comms. Really it gets you the flight sked and tasking. Not sure how the two-factor authentication every 18 hours is going to work on deployment (not my problem) but most of the other comms is FB messenger, Slack, or text. I do probably 75% of my comms off Trams and it works...
You're a DH . . . . . EVERYTHING is your problem :)