• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell phones on aircraft

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meanwhile the team guys are sponsored by every outdoor/survival company that exists.
Marketing . . . get five people in NSW to buy your shit out of 7F funds or whatever they use, and get every boogaloo boi nut, militia wannabe, and civilian geardo beating a path to your door because ZOMG NAVY SEALS TACTICOOL.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Banning phones from the plane, or making people put them in Faraday bags is just draconian policy from people just looking to cover their own ass.

I agree the policy is stupid, but geo-tracking is a thing, even if it's just your workout band. Seems like the Faraday bag is a reasonable concession to keep "leadership" happy while still having your phone when you divert.

Even civil aircraft ELT's (406MHz type) are next to useless in actual SAR from the NASA data.

Paul's data is interesting, but keep in mind he's approaching it from someone east of the Mississippi. He's got a video that goes with that article, and I don't completely agree with his reasoning that 406s are worthless. Out west, a phone won't help you in A LOT of places, and the 406 is a nice to have to get people heading in your direction. Whether that be a PLB or an ELT.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
On the ground side, PEDs are a real threat- and it's an uphill battle for leadership to keep LCpl Timmy from bringing his cellphone to the field so he can make his cool tiktok videos while they're at a big exercise.

Want to know where that platoon or company is? Just turn on a direction finding antenna that can tune 850 and 1900 MHZ, then start shooting IDF at them.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
People in VP treating this like it's a completely new policy are either forgetting history or weren't around for it. You could never bring PEDs in a BMUP+ for the same reason you can no longer bring them in a P-8. If you don't know why that is, trust that it's a good reason, because it is.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Want to know where that platoon or company is? Just turn on a direction finding antenna that can tune 850 and 1900 MHZ, then start shooting IDF at them.
Something that's been on imgur for awhile, screenshotted from God knows where from God knows what exercise . . .
0XPrtUE.jpeg

SlickAg

pilot
Approach it from an entirely different mindset.

“But if we don’t have our phones, how will we be able to [fill in the blank].”

examples:
  1. Muster and/or update our information on the NFAAS app
  2. Stay informed via the Departmental WhatsApp chat
  3. Stay informed via the command’s slack chain
  4. Receive the daily flight schedule via email since the website is down/Skeds was unable to upload it to the website bc NMCI broke
  5. Have to drive drunk due to my inability to use Uber, Lyft, or call a cab and I couldn’t find a pay phone

By no means all-inclusive but I’m sure you get the gist.

The Navy has invaded everyone’s life 24/7due to the capability of the smart phone. With the good comes the bad. If it’s too dangerous to take my phone on the road, maybe it’s dangerous for the command to expect me to be available 24/7/365.

Ozarky

pilot
Approach it from an entirely different mindset.

“But if we don’t have our phones, how will we be able to [fill in the blank].”

examples:
  1. Muster and/or update our information on the NFAAS app
  2. Stay informed via the Departmental WhatsApp chat
  3. Stay informed via the command’s slack chain
  4. Receive the daily flight schedule via email since the website is down/Skeds was unable to upload it to the website bc NMCI broke
  5. Have to drive drunk due to my inability to use Uber, Lyft, or call a cab and I couldn’t find a pay phone
By no means all-inclusive but I’m sure you get the gist.

The Navy has invaded everyone’s life 24/7due to the capability of the smart phone. With the good comes the bad. If it’s too dangerous to take my phone on the road, maybe it’s dangerous for the command to expect me to be available 24/7/365.
Was having a conversation with my roommates about this the other day. What would one’s COC say if you gave up your cell phone and went back to a land line? If a cell phone is to be required and immediate recall is as necessary as they seem to make it, would they not have an obligation to provide it?

To be clear, this isn’t an argument for the Navy having to pay for our cell phones. Just an exploration of where we draw the line with our personal privacy, etc.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I got the opportunity to be the det OIC in Diego Garcia for about a month. No cell phones (other than the like thirty the tenant command owns on a private network).

It was awesome. I had internet in the room, but otherwise was on a landline for the rest. Made free time much freer.

Wake up, three hours west of Kadena, check for any burning messages, take bus to flight line and see how MX is doing, take bus back to O-club to eat, walk to room, knock out detrep, go back to O-club and be out of comms the rest of the night.

Turns out, if it’s truly important, the SDO can figure out the phone number to the O-Club and get you a message on a landline.

We need to go back to being unreachable at home, if not for ourselves, then for our families. The Navy gets enough of us at work, we should be able to relax when not there.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
One of my prior DHs (2009-ish) didn't have a cell phone, and he did alright. He's an AWer and still active duty - not sure if that was just a Japan thing.

It's not just the Navy. It's a pretty sure bet that anyone who's married has been both the perpetrator and victim of the "access entitlement" mentality that the modern phone has created (the assumption that one has immediate access to someone else via phone, text, social media, etc.)

taxi1

pilot
On the ground side, PEDs are a real threat- and it's an uphill battle for leadership to keep LCpl Timmy from bringing his cellphone to the field so he can make his cool tiktok videos while they're at a big exercise.

Even today, you can go browsing through Strava heat map and find all sorts of odd exercise routes where you'd never think there'd be people exercising.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some observations...

In my experience, 80% of the traffic on WhatsApp/Viber/Etc is humorous banter. The other 20% is passing along information that people need to do their jobs effectively. Effective communication within an organization is one of the hardest things to get right. Modern devices make that task much simpler. Anyone who has had to invoke a telephone tree to pass along a critical piece of information to all hands can instantly see the benefit of modern devices as a tool to make life easier.

If leadership is tasking people after normal working hours - whether that's via phone, txt or email, then they're doing it wrong. I don't doubt that there are some who have experienced that, but that's a leadership deficiency, not a technology problem. That said, getting a heads up from the boss about something going down the next day shouldn't be viewed as tasking. That's value added information. You always have the option of setting your own boundaries, being in receive only mode and responding to txt or email only during working hours unless in extremis. Leadership should respect that.

Back in the day, if you were in duty section that day (or the SDO), you could not leave your house without calling the ASDO to let them know you'd be out of reach while you went to the grocery store. Nobody wants to go back to doing business that way.

All told, there are far more advantages to the individual (and the command) than disadvantages to this technology.