• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell phones on aircraft

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once the SIPR trons go through whatever magic box is at the end of the metal pipe in the squadron spaces they still end up on the rest of the internet. It's not like they laid SIPR fiber all over the country.
No, but you have to properly safeguard the data in transit AND at rest, and the black magic fuckery would be in allowing folks to access that data via an unsanitized and non-standard endpoint, while still accounting for possible counterintelligence shenanigans. That's a different problem to solve than tunnelling an air-gapped network over public pipes.

I have some ideas of what said black magic fuckery could be, but I'll refrain from speculating in public.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I hope the NMCI/O365 Teams will work on personal devices, because that is a MAJOR benefit of CVR. Last time I tried, it wouldn't let me sign into O365 Teams from my phone.
the goal is indeed BYOD with no dongle required after initial setup

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Given that they're working with MS towards whatever kind of black magic fuckery is necessary under the hood to do classified telework, BYOD should not be insurmountable. Hell, the Reserves had R2S even pre-COVID. I could book berthing, cut orders, check email, and do a travel claim all from my phone . . . albeit with a big CAC-holding dongle sticking out of it, so to speak.

I'll continue to not care until I can use SHARP from my home CAC reader. I mean, it is nice to have NSIPS and such (still can't get OWA to work), but all those things could easily be accomplished in a less time sensitive manner for most SELRES.

Pags

N/A
pilot
According to the OP on another site, this is from the recent F/A-18 crash. Is that a cell phone?????

View attachment 27754

"Hi Skipper, I kind of wrecked your plane..."
Probably. I remember hearing a story of a harrier guy who punched over NC. First call was to his wife to say he was ok and was going to be late. Second call was to the Skipper to tell him he crashed a jet and to please send the duty van.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Probably. I remember hearing a story of a harrier guy who punched over NC. First call was to his wife to say he was ok and was going to be late. Second call was to the Skipper to tell him he crashed a jet and to please send the duty van.
Would have been cooler if he asked his Skipper to send him another jet.

image.png