• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you count to two (anchors)?

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Well, warfare specialty is not everything, but there is a reason some positions are typically for Army/Marine (CENTCOM) and some for Navy (PACOM).

There is also some reason things arent going very well in some places right now.... fresh set of ideas, eyes, ect...I like it...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
There is also some reason things arent going very well in some places right now.... fresh set of ideas, eyes, ect...I like it...
Good point, but as long as politicians aren't willing to do what it takes I don't think it can much of a difference.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
You need to read "The Sling and the Stone." It's by retired Marine Colonel T.X. Hammes. TX did two tours in Iraq and led one of the inital drives into Bagdhad. I had the pleasure of having dinner with him recently, and will be having dinner this Sunday with him and several other warriors. It's always a great conversation, especially since active duty and recent active duty Seals, Naval aviation, Navy medicine, and Marines are in the mix.

TX argues that we are fighting a fourth generation war (insurgency) with third generation tactics. He made this argument in front of Congress recently and got a big "Duh?" from them. They didn't want to hear it.

Read his book. It's well worth the few dollars.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a big fan of Victor Davis Hansen. A classics professor, a farmer, and a very creditable military historian. He is a true academic that has a good eye for finding parallels from the ancient past to modern conflicts. He proves A-4s tag line every time, The more things change the more they stay the same.Recommend any of his books. I just finished A War Like No Other

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I am a big fan of Victor Davis Hansen. A classics professor, a farmer, and a very creditable military historian. He is a true academic that has a good eye for finding parallels from the ancient past to modern conflicts. He proves A-4s tag line every time, The more things change the more they stay the same.Recommend any of his books. I just finished A War Like No Other

The newspaper I worked for in college invited him for a debate against one of our uber-liberal professors. Good speaker as well as writer.

Pitchlock

pilot
Wait 20yrs and then go to your college/rotc reunion (if you have one). You will have to trust me that an academy reunion is a very special event unmactched by any other college. Mine was amazing. The bonds you make with your classmates last a lifetime.

-USNA Grad, Top 85% of my Class :)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
"Jacksonville University, a private university in Jax, who offered to the Navy that they would gladly and willingly host the unit. Hence the term at JU of "Harvard of the South."

Damn, does that mean I am a Rockstar, smart, or something!! Go Dolphins!!!!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Little-known worthless trivia: Harvard University's NROTC unit was "invited" to find a new home during the U.S. involvement in Vietnam. Evidently something about Ivy-League Yankees not approving of the military or some such nonsense. That unit transferred to (was actually requested by) Jacksonville University, a private university in Jax, who offered to the Navy that they would gladly and willingly host the unit. Hence the term at JU of "Harvard of the South." Said unit is now one of the largest NROTC battalions in the Navy.

[/worthless trivia]

Yeahhh I'm gonna have to say that's actually Vandy :icon_tong