• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you count to two (anchors)?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...They generally have superior intelligence, more courage and better looking girlfriends then their pilot shipmates."
And on occasion, as seen in the tragic quote above, NFO's are often inflicted with severe schizophrenia ... which is typically characterized as demonstrating disorganized thinking, experiencing delusions or hallucinations, in particular those hallucinations that are manifest in significant dysfunctional auditory hallucinations.

But t
hat's when they need their pilots most --- to counsel them.

That's why we're here .... :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

But t
hat's when they need their pilots most --- to counsel them.

That's why we're here .... :)
I have to admit, I didn't often receive requests for counsel from pilots. Except, of course, on those black a$$ nights when the darkness sucks all the bravado out of the best of them. That is when the NFO lowers the bucket into that unusually deep well of courage and manges to coax out the latent talent in his pilot that was always there, and that the NFO put his confidence in night after night.;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have to admit, I didn't often receive requests for counsel from pilots. Except, of course, on those black a$$ nights when the darkness sucks all the bravado out of the best of them. That is when the NFO lowers the bucket into that unusually deep well of courage and manges to coax out the latent talent in his pilot that was always there, and that the NFO put his confidence in night after night.;)
You see, youngsters ... there's that schizophrenia again. Manifest over, and over and over and over and over again .... It's sad to see. :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

And then Wink awoke from his dream...........

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
....(apologies if this is the inappropriate forum and thull happens to comment)
Ho, ho, ho .... or if it's the appropriate forum and Thull , etc., etc. .... points for droll humor. I like ... :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
UInavy said:
Alright, I'm going to fuel the fire here a bit.... because I can. Is there anyone out there (Intruder Driver included, of course), who has seen the ball from the back then front (or right then left) and cares to comments on the perceived vice actual difficulty?

(apologies if this is the inappropriate forum and thull happens to comment)

Having sat in both seats, I found that, as a pilot, on the nights when I was most terrified, my B/N usually didn't have a clue because I was working so hard to keep my shit together that I probably just seemed quiet and "on and on." With the exception of having vertigo, which I always shared with my B/N, I found that it was difficult to put into words the different elements of a night landing that were impacting my 'normalcy,' if night landings are ever normal. I tried once, and the result was an occasional comment that, while being an accurate comment from my B/N, wasn't necessary and hearing it through off my focus from the snakes I was fighting in the cockpit.

Having flown in both sides, I don't think the NFO's perceive the stark terror in having to pull or add power, or adjust the flight path, or move the nose for airspeed, when every other sense in your body is telling you that, if you do so, "You're gonna die!".

I even noticed this as a training command instructor in Meridian, which at night is about as dark as the boat if you are approaching from the north or in inclement weather. If I was riding in the front or back on a night instrument approach and the stud was flying, I didn't have the same 'senses' as when I was flying.

Back to the boat, I don't think a B/N can ever appreciate the holy terror in taxiing a jet to the furthest spot on the bow at night, in the rain, far enough into cruise that all the non-skid is gone, with your nose gear on the cat track about three feet from the round down and the sense that your brakes aren't stopping the sliding, and the yellow shirt is signaling you to ADD POWER and keep moving forward another couple feet. That was as bad as the toughest night landing.

On cat shots, as a B/N, even if I had an inner ear sense of 'too much nose up,' and felt the pilot rotating, it was relatively easy to focus on a couple instruments (VSI, altimeter, VGI) and get over it. As a pilot, pulling back on the stick was the last thing I wanted to do in the same situation, yet I didn't have the luxury of focusing on just a couple instruments; I had to rotate even though I felt like I was already in an elevator.

That's my two cents worth.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I'd be interested in hearing the comments from the flying and non-flying pilots on a black-ass night approach to a small boy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd be interested in hearing the comments from the flying and non-flying pilots on a black-ass night approach to a small boy.

Personally, I'd rather have a pilot w/ me, not because a 'FO can't recognize an approach going south and call for power, but because if I'm all jacked up in a slow, almost hover w/ no real reference, he (hopefully) can fly me out...in theory. Of course, he could always be long gone, too.

MasterBates

From a flying pilot stand point, on a dark night, sometimes you feel like you are having a hard time keeping closure under control. The "Black hole" about 1/4 mile behind the ship is the point where your airspeed indicator is starting to beocme unrelaible, but you are not close enough to really judge closure well..

Worst for me has been on the end of a 6 or 7 hour DLQ period, when I have been bouncing for about 40-50 approaches and 80-100 landings... At that point, you are beat, and I have had a couple close calls with green 2Ps trying to put me in the water..

Also, I dare say the T/O, while "easier" can be a lot more disorienting..

MasterBates

EDIT- Post made sense when there was a post between my 2 posts.... Its gone now.

Yes, Intruder Driver asked about landing on small boys.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, I dare say the T/O, while "easier" can be a lot more disorienting.

Good point, especially w/ a "salty" newer O-4 who wants to show the end of tour JO "how it's done." Tell you what, why don't I hop out and you can show me while I stand on the flight deck. Umkay, thanks.