• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I still be selected for OCS regardless of background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
joboy666 said:
:icon_wink

wow, an impressive resume you have! as for kindergarten...you seem to be at the top of your 14 year old internet acronyms! <thumbs up>

I'd like to pass along a lesson I learned long ago...if you have nothing nice to say....STFU!:icon_wink
honestly. If you don't like me(you've basically harassed me in any post directed to me), don't bother replying to any post I make or any thread I start.

Keep digging.

Brett

NAVOFF

Yeah, very disappointing. Almost as disappointing as the thought that a military member was able to "acquire" a DUI, an assault charge, and a burglary within a few month period. WTF, over?

Here's some advice, stop drinking and beating people up and stealing sh!t that ain't yours. Your decision making is questionable to say the least. I'd give your app about two seconds before they toss it in the sh!tcan. We shouldn't be giving a person like this advice on how to become an officer. He/she is already a service member and has proven that he/she cannot serve honorably. Besides, I highly doubt that the SUPPLY CORPS is going to let someone with a burglary (expunged or not) handle government supplies.

Given that there are hundreds of kids on this site with good GPA's, excellent character and no history of, say, a DUI, we should focus on helping them get their apps in and spend less time helping criminals get into a position where their questionable ethics can harm our military.

My $0.02.

Look, we all have made mistakes in the past. Some are bigger than others. The DUI, Assault, and Burgulary is definetly going to hurt your chances of getting in, but try anyway. If they deny it, wait a few years, clear your record up and in the mean time, do something good. Like volunteering for something. Show them the next time you apply, that you are a changed man. Don't listen to guys here that put you down for your previous mistakes. I assure they are as guilty as you. All have sinned. Keep you head high, apply, and see what happens.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Enough about this honor and telling the truth bu11sh!t. The enlisted recruiters advise enlistees to LIE about drugs on their application. I am not saying that it is right, but let's be HONEST about this.:eek:

Wankertank

Free Hat!
Enough about this honor and telling the truth bu11sh!t. The enlisted recruiters advise enlistees to LIE about drugs on there application. I am not saying that it is right, but let's be HONEST about this.:eek:

Wow...not only is lying on an application wrong and totally unethical, its also illegal as well. And if this guy lies on his application he will get caught. And since when was honor and the truth a bunch of bull****? I can't believe someone applying for a position in the armed forces would say that. I hope I never even have to work near you, wether it be in the military or civilian world.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Wow...not only is lying on an application wrong and totally unethical, its also illegal as well. And if this guy lies on his application he will get caught. And since when was honor and the truth a bunch of bull****? I can't believe someone applying for a position in the armed forces would say that. I hope I never even have to work near you, wether it be in the military or civilian world.

First of all I am not saying that lying on the application is the right thing to do IT IS WRONG. Telling the truth and being honorable is not BS. What I am getting at is the reality of how the application process works. On the enlisted side the recruiters (that, by the way, represent the NAVY) persuade recruits into fibbing on their application to keep their numbers up. Yet some are portreying the navy as this upotia of complete honesty...yadda yadda yadda.
The Navy is a microcosm of our society at large.

As for me, I busted my a$$ for 5 years in the navy (enlisted) and am applying to come in on the officer side. I myself am not going to lie on my application. My record will speak for itself. I have also however been in the navy and seen first hand the type of sh!t that goes down. Don't worry, when I get back in we will never run into each other because I'll be working and living in reality.

Oh and another thing FSU sucks "wide right"...ring a bell?

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Don't listen to guys here that put you down for your previous mistakes. I assure they are as guilty as you. All have sinned. Keep you head high, apply, and see what happens.

UMMM, Nope. I am not as guilty as him since I have never had a DUI, a burglary charge, or an assault charge. So, pretty much, you're wrong. In fact, I don't have so much as a blemish of any kind when it comes to legal matters. OH, wait, unless you count the time a drunk driver hit me and totaled my car, because that's pretty much the closest I've come to the law.

I guess my big point is that if a DUI can end a career it should also prevent one. Good on you for keeping your military bearing while you were being processed for a DUI. Hopefully, from now on that bearing will keep you from getting into the car in the first place. As for the charges being dropped, okay, cool I change my mind. Go ahead and apply, but make sure your statment is excellent. As for the explanation of your assault arrest, I have to believe there is more to the story because my BS Flag is going nuts. What lead a completely sober neighbor to think that this guys life was in danger? Where does the burglary come in? Very strange, but really, it's dismissed so you must have learned your lesson.

As for not listening to the guys who are putting you down, like me, it would do you well to listen to the things I am saying so you'll know the questions that board members are looking for the answers to.

Good luck and prove me wrong.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My gf's sister just signed up for an Army ROTC program. She's going to get a degree in nursing then serve in the Army as a nurse.

When she told her recruiter a few months ago that she was deathly allergic to bee stings, his response was telling her not to reveal that information about herself because if she did then she wouldn't get accepted into ROTC.

The military is not adverse to fudging things. Is it wrong? Yes, and in this instance it can get her killed. Nevertheless, it happens.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
When she told her recruiter a few months ago that she was deathly allergic to bee stings, his response was telling her not to reveal that information about herself because if she did then she wouldn't get accepted into ROTC.

That's is a medical issue, which is different from a criminal offense.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lying is lying. It doesn't matter if it's medical or criminal.

That's an awfully black and white way of looking at it and does not reflect the reality of life in the fleet. We all play the system to a certain degree - that's just a fact of life. Rules are bent or outright broken all the time, especially in aviation. None of us are the perfect exemplars of virtue that some of you make us out to be - keep that fantasy in Hollywood where it belongs. That said, being forthright and up front about things is generally a good way to carry out your professional (and personal) life. The bottom line is to be able to take responsibility and live with the consequences of your decisions and actions. The next George Washington archetype that gets up on his high horse will be mercilessly flamed.

Brett

Bernie Kosar

I’ve been reading this post and I might as well chime in with my .02. The guy just wants to know if he has a shot at being an officer. As far as judging him is concerned, unless JC is somewhere typing on a computer and making posts on Air Warriors then nobody on this forum has the right to judge this guy (especially those who are not even in the military yet). One thing I do know about the guy, he has done more for my country than I have.

pdx

HSM Pilot
The next George Washington archetype that gets up on his high horse will be mercilessly flamed.

Brett

I'll try to avoid the burn.

Still, lying on your app is RETARDED. When the security check comes through, they will find out if you made any creative statements. Then, somebody will get on their high horse and ride you out of the Navy. You can't be an officer if you aren't eligible for a Secret clearance.

I have colored, bent, or broken the truth a few times, but I try to be smart about it.

This recruiter is looking out for his own interests only. If she gets caught, the recruiter doesn't get in trouble, SHE does. When I was in school, a friend of mine was in the Army ROTC (nurse, oddly enough). She was a PT stud, but she had lied about asthma. At a Ranger Challenge event, she had attack that required her to use her inhaler. She did finish the event, but one of the cadre saw her using the inhaler.

In many instances, asthma is waiverable (as are allergies). Still, she was kicked out of ROTC and they demanded she pay back 3 years of scholarship money. I think she was successful in a legal battle, but she still had those expenses and definitely no commission.

So the moral is, if you are going to lie, don't get caught.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't see what's so not black and white about lying. There's telling the truth, and there's not telling the truth aka lying. There's no inbetween. Not telling half the truth is lying.

Notice I'm not advocating that everyone must be 100% forthright about everything they've ever done. I know people will "bend the truth" to try and get ahead in ALL professions, not just the military. All I'm saying is a lot of people are "riding" the OP because he asked where the line is and how far the Navy will go to check the info, and that's not really fair unless you are a person who tells the truth 100% of the time, but such a person doesn't exist. I can fully understand no one wanting to disclose that info over the internet, but to ridicule him for doing something that the majority of people do in one way or another - whether it be medical, criminal, or about something that to you seems trivial - is just ... stupid.

As for the medical thing, both my gf and I told her not to lie about such a potentially serious condition, if not for her career then for her own safety in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.