• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I still be selected for OCS regardless of background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hold up folks. Let's take a step back and look at this from another perspective. Assuming all these charges were dropped, then that is all they are....or "were" to be more specific. This guy has an arrest record, yes. However, these charges were never even adjudicated. They were DROPPED. This man has not been proven guilty of anything, and is therefore innocent of all charges he was arrested for. We don't anything about the circumstances surrounding any of these charges.

Now, as for you, CS3. If any of this has any truth to it, then knock this sh!t off and grow up. Go ahead an apply. The worst they'll say is no. If you don't get selected, keep trying. The fact that you DO have an arrest record for these types of charges is certainly going to raise some suspicions. This means your professional peformance as an enlisted sailor needs to be impeccable. And if your CO doesn't want to give you an endorsement with at least a "strongly recommended," you've got quite an uphill battle to climb. That being said, people have persevered through worse circumstances.

I personally know two active duty Marine Captains who got arrested as enlisted marines. One was arrested for simple assault, and the other was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon (felony). One is right now a marine officer recruiter and another just graduated from Naval Post Graduate school.

CS3, it's up to you and you alone how you want your future to turn out.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I personally know two active duty Marine Captains who got arrested as enlisted marines. One was arrested for simple assault, and the other was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon (felony). One is right now a marine officer recruiter and another just graduated from Naval Post Graduate school.

I know a Navy LT. That had a couple captains masts under his belt while enlisted and later got accepted throught the LDO route.

thull

Hold up folks. Let's take a step back and look at this from another perspective. Assuming all these charges were dropped, then that is all they are....or "were" to be more specific. This guy has an arrest record, yes. However, these charges were never even adjudicated. They were DROPPED. This man has not been proven guilty of anything, and is therefore innocent of all charges he was arrested for. We don't anything about the circumstances surrounding any of these charges.

Now, as for you, CS3. If any of this has any truth to it, then knock this sh!t off and grow up. Go ahead an apply. The worst they'll say is no. If you don't get selected, keep trying. The fact that you DO have an arrest record for these types of charges is certainly going to raise some suspicions. This means your professional peformance as an enlisted sailor needs to be impeccable. And if your CO doesn't want to give you an endorsement with at least a "strongly recommended," you've got quite an uphill battle to climb. That being said, people have persevered through worse circumstances.

CS3, it's up to you and you alone how you want your future to turn out.

excellent post.. in my opinion

CS3, don't give up, and don't let anyone even have a reason at all to make these kind of charges in the future, justified (in making them) or not. live and learn.

Troy

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I am in need of some help here:confused: . I really want to go into the supply corps program. I have been asking a few people on base whether I should still apply for the OCS program regardless of my background. I have a DUI:(, that happened last aug. 5th the case was dropped:eek: . I did not got to capt. mast. After several months later, I then acquired a 2nd degree assult charge and a 4th degree burglary charge last Jan. 17th:eek: . These charges were dropped and did not go to capt. mast as well (Someone must be looking out for me):) . Anyways, I am told that I do have a chance but I must put these charges on my application. Can anyone help me out there and give me advices:confused: ?

Before this turns into a "I know a CAPT who..." I figured I'd drop my .02. I concur with Steve above. Someone is looking out for you...in which case it's time to check yourself before you wreck yourself. You were obviously not found guilty and I'd definitely make an effort to show concern for your record by getting it taken care of...

Good gouge passed above though. Clean up and do a gut check before saying that you will be leaders of those sworn to defend and uphold the Constitution of the US...

~D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ While I can see both sides to this argument, I can't help but think that I must be lucky to have served as an enlisted man for 8+ years and miraculously didn't get charged with any crimes. Somebody MUST be looking out for me, I mean, all it takes is to be at the wrong place (behind the wheel) at the wrong time (while drunk) and BAM, the cops are going to be all over you when you really didn't do anything wrong. After all, The Man is out to get you any way he can.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Dropped charges or otherwise, if you can honestly say that you were completely innocent of any wrongdoing, then press. Otherwise, the aforementioned gut check is in order.

Brett

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Well, you haven't violated any penal codes...so you've got that goin' for ya:icon_rast

CS3bitz

To Steve, ChunksJR, and Thul. Thank you very much for thinking outside the box. Its amazing how people automatically assume the worse for a person.

Just so you stereotype people are wondering, the DUI case was dropped because I kept my military bearing and treated the officer who arressted me with the utmost respect. Yes, it was stupid of me, but I learned from it and moved on. I am now down to one drink a month and don't even think twice in getting in a car after having a drink.

For the assult charge and the burglary, I interviened on one of my shipmates who wanted to drive drunk after a long night of drinking, I was very successful in not making him drive. Since this shipmate had consumed an imaginable amount of alcohol, he did not know what was going on. He had thought that me and a couple of my friends, who later on joined in to help me out to stop him from driving, were after him.

This drunk shipmate of ours, went to the aid from a nearby neighbor. The neighbor then assumed that his life was in danger and helped him out. When the police came, they arrested us without getting any information. 14 hrs. I had to spend in jail just because I wanted to stop someone from driving drunk.

I have cleaned up and dont party as hard anymore. My career in the military is my main focus now.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
CS3, You will find that there are some people out there who don't exactly have a blemish free record, and still got to where you want to be. Granted, they are a minority but they are there. The stars are going to align your way and your going to need some luck, but it is possible. Having those charges dismissed really helps (I know this from expierience). It is definately going to take extra explaining to people along the line- be prepared for that, and be prepared for a lot of judgmental reactions along the way like you saw here. Make sure you get copies of your certified court dockets saying the charges were dismissed... If you don't need them for the application, you'll need them for the security clearance stuff later on if you get in. Hopefully the rest of your package makes up for these distractions.

Worst that can happen is you apply and don't get it, which is the same result if you don'y apply in the first place.

pdx

HSM Pilot
joboy666 said:
fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! I wouldn't put a SECOND thought into someone who was arrested for god knows what ONCE and the charges dropped. But to be arrested/charged MULTIPLE times of multiple crimes?? I don't think he is the innocent man some think he is. Anybody can be at the wrong place at the wrong time, but to be arrested for DUI, assault and burglary is a bit too much to be coincidental. I'd say apply and best of luck, but I think any board will think twice about someone like this serving in our ranks.

The board will have all the info when they make their decision. Why even speculate on this? It seems pretty obvious that if there is any truth to the allegations/arrests, there is little chance for being selected as an officer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
joboy666 said:
fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! I wouldn't put a SECOND thought into someone who was arrested for god knows what ONCE and the charges dropped. But to be arrested/charged MULTIPLE times of multiple crimes?? I don't think he is the innocent man some think he is. Anybody can be at the wrong place at the wrong time, but to be arrested for DUI, assault and burglary is a bit too much to be coincidental. I'd say apply and best of luck, but I think any board will think twice about someone like this serving in our ranks.

Our ranks? Pretty bold statement for a college student. I think this thread is a good place for experienced folks to render their opinion and give advice - the rest should STFU.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
joboy666 said:
"our" as in the US's ranks...stop being so sensetive...It was always the sophomores who hassled the freshman the most.....

I wouldn't know, I'm a HS drop out. In the meantime, STFU. As far as Naval Aviation is concerned, you're still in kindergarten.

Brett

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
joboy666 said:
fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! I wouldn't put a SECOND thought into someone who was arrested for god knows what ONCE and the charges dropped. But to be arrested/charged MULTIPLE times of multiple crimes?? I don't think he is the innocent man some think he is.... I'd say apply and best of luck, but I think any board will think twice about someone like this serving in our ranks.

Guess the same thing could have been said about you if you had been caught for possession? You don't seem to be as innocent as you attempt to portray yourself in the above post...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13460

Don't throw the stone if you live in the glass house...

BTW, you may have been collecting the paycheck but it would seem that this guy has actually been doing something for his country for the past couple years while you've sat around being a hypocrit.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
joboy666 said:

I think the point is that you are telling everyone right now that you are going to make make decisions without "a SECOND thought." Sometimes you have to make snap answers (honey does my but look big?) but if you have the time to ask questions, ask them. Dont ever write anybody off.

Status
Not open for further replies.