• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Questions

mustang13

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear from people that have gone through this process already. The only thing I'm worried about is this: I'm want to get in BDCP for aviation (pilot) and my recruiter said that engineering majors are better suited to understand the material in flight school, etc. if I do get selected for BDCP as a business major, would it be ok to take some engineering-related classes (math, physics, etc.) at a community college WHILE attending university? Would they have eto be placed on the curriculum guide/contract?

SWCS242

SWO in-training
No, they would not need to be placed on your contract. On your contract you put the classes you will be taking at your university towards your degree/graduation or other electives you take. The reason, I believe, they want a contract is so that you have a set plan for graduation and will be graduating on time, when you said you would.
For example, I am taking an extra class that I did not put on my contract. I was told, that as long as you take what you say you are taking, they don't really care if you take extra.
(If you get accepted to be a pilot, they probably assume you are smart enough to pass the training with what you already know, which you will show on your ASTB and what not. Unless you like school and have ample $$ to pay for the classes, why take extra classes?)
Hope that helped.

Autoace

Here is an option for you. If you are into business management take a look at Supply Corps. You can get BDCP for Supply. After you have completed your first set of orders as a Supply guy put in for a change of designator to HCA. The business management,supply chain, and contract management aspects of the two are very similar. I think that might work for you. Get the money for school, experience the fleet and then switch to HCA. Don't bother your recruiter too much about this. He can't guarantee your switch to HCA later. But he will work with you on Supply. The rest is up to you.

Thanks for the suggestion. After looking over all the Supply, Transportation, and Logistics info, that looks to be a good route for me. There is no doubt in my mind that at some point I would pick up HCA after getting my Masters and requesting to change my designator. After all, I am sure that once I am in, I will want to make a career of it. It seems to be in my blood (father is an HCA Captain with MSC, grandfather is a retired Naval Officer, Uncle is a career Army Sgt, cousin is a Marine Officer, other cousin is Army Paratrooper).

Also, part of me wants to get my Masters through HSCP first, and then get in HCA easy through ODS (5 week) 'mini-OCS'. But I would rather earn it by getting my ass kicked at 12-week OCS....full-on. I would appreciate it more.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion. After looking over all the Supply, Transportation, and Logistics info, that looks to be a good route for me. There is no doubt in my mind that at some point I would pick up HCA after getting my Masters and requesting to change my designator. After all, I am sure that once I am in, I will want to make a career of it. It seems to be in my blood (father is an HCA Captain with MSC, grandfather is a retired Naval Officer, Uncle is a career Army Sgt, cousin is a Marine Officer, other cousin is Army Paratrooper).

Also, part of me wants to get my Masters through HSCP first, and then get in HCA easy through ODS (5 week) 'mini-OCS'. But I would rather earn it by getting my ass kicked at 12-week OCS....full-on. I would appreciate it more.
Another happy AirWarriors customer. Two fine options leading to a dream career. Now all you have to do is make it happen.

Tom

pilot
Contributor

I think every graduate of OCS would have rather gone to ODS if the outcome was the same. The only cool parts of OCS were the firefighting, wet trainer (fake ship sinking) and graduation.

nugget81

pilot
I think every graduate of OCS would have rather gone to ODS if the outcome was the same. The only cool parts of OCS were the firefighting, wet trainer (fake ship sinking) and graduation.

And I missed two of those....we didn't do firefighting in Pensacola and I was med down during the wet trainer. At least I got to graduate!:D

Goob83

None
Well put good advice.

No worries. For anyone else lurking about, HCA is Health Care Administrator. They are direct commission designators that manage the Navy health care system. They can manage the business side of clinics, manage hospitals, and do all sorts of business related stuff in the heath care field. You must have a business related degree, and a Masters is required to be competitive. These are great jobs if you are into business management and they set you up for one of the largest growing fields in the civ sector as well. Problem is they Navy only takes a few of these people a year. Tough to get.

LanceS

I am a college sophmore in Aerospace Engineering, my current gpa is 3.2, and I am interested in the BDCP program. I just have a few questions.

Do you apply into which field you want to go into for BDCP and get pro-rec'd for that, such as SNA.

Also, how often do people get accepted?

My major is: Aerospace Engineering/ G.p.a: 3.2
I am in excellent shape.
My eyesight is perfect 20/20.

What are my chances, cause I am going to try and get accepted after this semester, I am applying for SNA and that is all I really want.

CalPolyPilot

Hey Lance,

I am in the same situation as you are: 2nd year Aero, similar GPA. Currently I am going to have my app. ready for the May review board. As far as acceptance rates, my recruiter has had 35% get pro-req and 85% get the program after the medical and background check. This was based on all BDCP areas not just the SNA community.

All you can really do is apply or you will never know. Get some strong LORs and make sure your app package portrays yourself as a well rounded individual. Since you won't be at the review board to defend yourself, your app. has to do all the talking.

One last thing, apply for NFO and SNA. Even if you get accepted to NFO and not SNA, a high percentage of NFO are able to transfer to SNA before they enter flight school (according to my recruiter around 70-80%).

Good luck!

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I hear the equation on AW is about 42% get picked up, but it is a complex equation that many have spent years trying to figure out with little or no answers achieved.You might catch some flak over that question. I would say looking over at the selection stats page you might get a rough area where you stand.

You can apply for up to three different pipelines.

jooman360

I don't have to follow my BDCP exactly as it is? Or is is as long as I use it as an outline and graduate on time? Also on the reference sheet it is supposed to be from a supervisor or school official right? I was just wondering because some people get references from people with military experience, and I didn't know how they fit unless they were coworkers or teachers. I have one more question. Is there a lot of swimming in OCS?

nugget81

pilot
Do you apply into which field you want to go into for BDCP and get pro-rec'd for that, such as SNA.
Yes, that's how it works.

Also, how often do people get accepted?
All the time. Every month that there's a selection board, there are people who get selected, and also many who do not.

What are my chances, cause I am going to try and get accepted after this semester, I am applying for SNA and that is all I really want.

If that's all you want, then apply only for it. Why wait until the end of the semester? If your package is good enough to be accepted now, then great--start getting paid sooner. If you get rejected the first time (and let's say you were waiting for this semester's grades to boost your GPA) then reapply with the better GPA the second time around.

BackOrdered

Contributor
All of the answers to these questions and others like them can be found by way of either your recruiter or the search function. I promise all of these were discussed before here somewhere.